iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Day with the Logrite

Started by dsgsr, April 17, 2016, 08:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsgsr

78" Megahook 8)  Last yr. I hurt my back using an old 36" peavey on a much larger log,

Ain't gonna do that again. I have a couple good size tractors I could use to turn the logs, but that's an easy way too damage the mill.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Sixacresand

That logrite tool is a necessary and handy tool.  My next one will be a long one.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

plowboyswr

I bought a 60" and it's  earned it's keep already.  ;) but I wouldn't turn another one down!

Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

derhntr

Nice, I like pulling a lever or 2 to roll mine. but still have to use a cant hook at times
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

Magicman

Congrats to both of you on getting the Logrites.  logrite_cool There is no substitute for the best.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

Plowboyswr, looks like you've got some good help on the other end of that cant hook.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

plowboyswr

;D ;D :D :D he's more than willing!
Steve

Brandon1986

Gentlemen, excuse my ignorance. I have been using cant dogs for about 20 years now, never a log rite. That said I have never noticed a major difference one from another. Can someone please explain what the difference is in the log rite and the run of the mill ones I get at the hardware store.

dsgsr

What is the Handle of the "run of the mill" ones made from that you buy at the hardware store? The Logrite is Metal, and I didn't see any 78" ones at my hardware store.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Jeff

The difference is much more than the handle, although thats a biggy.  They have the perfect geometry for grabbing and turning logs. You will not find a Logrite tool owner, and there are thousands of them, that won't say they are worlds better than "run of the mill ones I get at the hardware store. "

You won't see much difference until you use a logrite, because none of the others compare.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Old retired cant hooks and praveys.  Notice that two have steel pipe replacing rotten wood handles.  Some of the wood handles are shorter now as rot takes it's toll on wooden handles.  The one in the center is an absolute "log catcher" and the others, not so much.   :-\

I attribute much to the geometry (curvature) and placement of the hook on the Logrites.  Every Logrite instantly bites the log as designed and there is no worry or concern about the handle breaking.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

For me the biggest difference is the weight and the fact that it's not bulky and awkward. I think a huge advantage is that the Logrite cant hook is all metal and should last forever. I think it's a matter of feeling secure with what you are using. I can set my 5' logrite and get under it with my shoulder and know exactly what it's going to do. I'll put the tip of it under a log on the mill and basically hang on it to pick it up or pick up a log with a digging bar and use it like a chunk of pipe across the tracks to move a log, either way it's not going to snap. When things snap stuff flies. If (and that's a huge IF) my Logrite fails it will bend, hopefully at least giving me a chance to get clear of things.
Just my opinion.

plowboyswr

Quote from: Brandon1986 on April 19, 2016, 10:36:09 PM
Gentlemen, excuse my ignorance. I have been using cant dogs for about 20 years now, never a log rite. That said I have never noticed a major difference one from another. Can someone please explain what the difference is in the log rite and the run of the mill ones I get at the hardware store.
I've used those run of the mill ones for years, and broke some handles also had them slip when I thought the hook was set and gave it the heave hoe. Picking yourself up in amongst a log pile or in the brush not so fun. Since I have have gotten the  log rite I haven't questioned what will happen. Needless to say the run of the mill hook has been retired. I am a convert. ;D
Steve

terrifictimbersllc

Put one on your Father's Day wish list and post it on the refrigerator. You'll find out soon enough. :-) :-)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brandon1986

I might have to buy one I guess. I have a video on my facebook of my 6 year old using my cant hook to roll a piece of firewood across the yard. Maybe if I put it on my fathersday list he will convince his mom to buy one for the both of us. 

Brian C.

We have 5 of them with two of them being 78". We beat the devil out of them and they keep coming back for more. They do the job, rolling, lifting, sliding and just about anything else you can think of. A great design. I would to have one of each size.

warren46

OK,

I am not going to knock Logrite, but, I use the same cant hook my uncle Arnold used in his mill in 1956.  It has probably turned more logs then any 10 Logrites but together. A good stout hickory handle that has no evidence or rot or other malfunction.  Take a file to the point every once and a while and it grabs every time.

Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

Jeff

Quote from: warren46 on April 20, 2016, 05:16:56 PM
OK,

It has probably turned more logs then any 10 Logrites but together.

I can guarantee that is hasn't.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kbeitz

If you only had one size logrite, what would it be ? 78" ?
I might give one a try...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 20, 2016, 06:15:22 PM
If you only had one size logrite, what would it be ? 78" ?
I might give one a try...

A 78 is a good choice. I have 2 smaller ones also for Cedar logs. I love them.

You really do need to get one. I have several.
The long handle one I have, not only can turn logs but Kirk can take it and use it like a crowbar and slide a huge White Oak on the mills bed. Kirk's almost as strong as the handle.  :D  Theres actually not a better Cant Hook made.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

Guess my question is what size would you buy first... ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Kbeitz on April 20, 2016, 06:36:06 PM
Guess my question is what size would you buy first... ?

I would get the 78 if your sawing a lot of big boys. A lot of leverage with a strong handle.

When you order, tell them you are a FF Member.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

It all depends upon the size logs/cants that you are dealing with.  The 78 is designed for large stuff and has a larger hook.  As they get progressively smaller/shorter, the hook gets smaller so that they can easily hook the smaller logs.  The 78 would be cumbersome handling small logs if it could hook them.

The 48" is designed for handling 8" - 32" logs. 
The 60 is designed for handling 10" - 36" logs.
The 78 is designed for handling 15" - 45" logs.

Check out Pages 11 & 12

I got a 60" first and would lean toward it as a "only one" size.   My two 48's get the most usage in my situation.

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Yes, the 60" is the all around choice if you could only have one.  I have the 78" as well, and it is unsurpassed for turning the big, back-breaker logs.  Over-killl on the average log.  That is where the 60" shines. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!