iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Me Grits Have Arrived!

Started by Teddles, October 27, 2004, 06:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teddles

My grits have arrived safely back in New Zealand after DanG (I think!) made a kind donation of the stuff to educate us southern hemisphere folk. The customs people didn't have a clue what grits were but let Browney keep it when he explained the concept!!  ;D

So now I need some help - what exactly is the best way to eat this stuff ?!  ???

I'll take all suggestions. We have enough here to see out the rest of the year so I'm open to experimenting!!  :D

I look forward to hearing your suggestions!   :)

Tom

My opinion is, the best way to start eating grits is to prepare it the standard way as a side dish to breakfast.  

Boiled and cooked down with plenty of butter on them and served on the plate with a couple of eggs, Hickory smoked bacon and toast with a steaming hot cup of black coffee.

Sunny side up eggs or over easy eggs can be stirred into the grits by the person doing the eating if they want.  

Grits are a savory dish and should be prepared salted and peppered.  Depending on the corn they are made from they may resemble taste anywhere from corn-on-the-cob to popcorn.

A serving of Grits is most pleasant if served with a pat of butter in the middle, regardless of whether they were cooked with butter or not.

Check out www.Grits.com :)

This site has Grits Recipes too

This site is fun to read

redpowerd

grits are starting to sound like corned beef hash. i plead ignorant.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Teddles, you will need a 17 mm socket and a  hydraulic press with a ram that fits just inside the socket to properly prepare your grits. First add a few of the dried grits to about half way fill the socket. Using the press, compact the grits. Continue to add a few grits, compact, add grits, compact, until your socket is completely full. Now you can press the grit pellet out using the hole in the drive side of the socket. Repeat this process until you have 20 to 30 grit pellets.

Now, you will need an empty coffee can or similar metal container. punch several holes just up from the bottom of the can around its circumference, say 10 to 15 MMs. You're almost ready to enjoy your grits!

Now, you will need a frying pan and some butter. Put a pat of butter in the frying pan,  place the grit pellets in the can give them a shot of grain alcohol, just enough to moisten their surface. Now Light em up with a butane lighter.

Place some sliced potatoes in the pan, cooking them until browned above the flaming grits. If you have done everything correctly the grits should burn until the potatoes are done, leaving you with a very tasty meal compliments of those DanG grits. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

k, nevermind ;Dthanks to toms website, i see more than half our nation enjoyes corn silage, butterd and fried! :D

i like jeffs preperation ;)
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Buzz-sawyer

HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Jeff

Now there is a lethal combination.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Actually, I've fixed my grits with a little dab of Marmite on top and they were good. ;D :)

Buzz-sawyer

cANT A GUY MOCK GRITS AND MARMITE AND NOT LOOSE THE THUNDER ;D
 :D :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Fla._Deadheader

My favorite is, cook 'em down real good, add Butter, bacon grease and cheese. Simmer until the cheese has melted, stirring occasionally. Eggs and Toast on the side, or not. ;) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

rbarshaw

:) Now I know Y'all are gonna just hate me, but my favorite way to eat grits is hot with plenty of butter melted into them with maple syrup and cinnimon mixed in, sugar will do but the maple is best, altho blackstrap molassus is interesting.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

DanG

Teddles, me Dear. I be the one what sent you them grits, just as I said I would.  Them grits was ground on a old-fashioned water powered stone, so they is the finest grits you can get.  Don't you go listening to them infidels up there in the North that wouldn't know a good plate of grits if you hit them in the butt with it!  

Now, listen up, and I'll tell ya how to cook'em.  I usually cook about a cup of grits at a time, if it's just me and the wife eatin'em. I think that's about 200ml, if you're in one of them places that has that way of thinkin'.  Anyway, you put about 3 parts water to one part grits in a little pot. Bring the water to a boil, and add about a tsp of salt and a Tbsp of butter to the water. When the butter melts, pour the grits in while stirring. It will return to a boil quickly, so turn the heat down and let it cook(covered) for a few minutes.  Stir frequently, because the grits will settle to the bottom and scorch until they start swelling.  When it thickens, turn the heat down as low as you can get it, and keep it tightly covered. I like to transfer it to a crockpot at this point, and simmer it on low heat for a couple of hours, but that just ain't practical at breakfast time.

Meanwhile, you would be cookin' up some lamb chops or wallaby, or what ever it is you folks eat, along with some eggs or veggies.  A few of us hardcore grits people like to eat them alone, but it is basically a side dish, like a baked potato or some hash browns.  Grits is good with some gravy on it, or a good wad of butter. Tom likes it with a dollop of Marmite on it. ;D :D

I hope you enjoy it and get a fad started down there. Maybe, someday, New Zealand will send a team to the International Grits Festival, which happens in April of every year in Warwick, Ga.

ps:  It's hard to describe a "consistency" on the Internet, but I'll try.  You should be able to eat grits with a fork. If it falls through the fork, it is too thin and you can correct this by taking off the lid and cooking it a bit more. You shouldn't be able to cut it. It should just flow back together. If you should happen to be Chinese and eat with chopsticks, you probably shouldn't be eating grits. :-/ :'(
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Hmmmmmm

New Zealand lends a whole new dimension to "Southern". :D

DanG

Don't it ever, though? ??? :D :D :D  There ain't no such thing as being too far South, unless you're in Florida.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Quartlow

cook grits
give to dog
watch dog bury said grits
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

redpowerd

dont think ill be complainin about corn silage untill i try it, heck, the cows seem to like it :D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Roxie

I prefer grits with red-eye gravy and butter.  
Say when

Murf

I think Jeff is closer to the mark on this one.

I personally prefer the 'indirect' method of eating grits.

We feed corn silage to the cows and let them pre-process it for us, then after they converted it to a suitable protien, not too much fat, just nicely marbled, just slice them up into pieces about 1.5" (about 35 mm) cook them over a medium hot bed of coals next to a couple of foil-wrapped Taters. Now the important part. While the 'pre-processed' grits are slowly turning brown over the coals, you open a suitable container of cold pre-processed grains and hops.

When all is ready you may wish to serve with another suitable container of cold pre-processed grains and hops.

For breakfast you may wish to substitute coffee for the first cold beverage.
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Teddles

Heck, I think I had better get started on these grits!! So many ways to try it!!  :o

Bags of grits got handed out to the rest of the crew here yesterday (with just a few strange looks!) so who knows what kind of new concoctions people might come up with over the weekend. Someone might create a new 'KiwiGrits' recipe.  ;D

I'd better get cooking .. . . ..

Fred

My mom used to cook grits several different when us kids were home. I like them but havent had them since I left home.
Baker 18M
Woodmaster 718 Planer/ molder

jimbo

well well  the best way i have founf to serve them is on a pine board , dip them out onto a pine board  add butter  then scrap them off  trow them away and eat the board

jimbo

Engineer

Wife is from Indiana (Nashville).  She likes grits with butter.  

I'm a native Vermonter.  Didn't never eat 'em until I got married, and then I swore I'd never eat 'em again.   :P

Grits ain't food, people.  They're what food eats, and turns into meat.

Furby

Now Engineer,
I sure hope I didn't hear you just call some of these good ole southern boys.....FOOD! :o

But I do agree!!! ;)

Engineer

Naw, I din't call nobody food.  Grits is a vegetable, or usedta be, and vegetables is what food eats.    People kin eat all the grits they want,  just don't put 'em in front of me.

I got the four food groups figured out - taters, meat, donuts and Mountain Dew.   :D

Furby

That about sums up the four food groups alrighty!!!  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!