iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best Stihl saw

Started by g1xer, April 16, 2016, 07:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DelawhereJoe

If where he lives is anything like Delaware it would take a long drive to find a Dolmar dealer, for me it would be a trip to another state. I have 3 Stihl dealers within 20 minutes of me.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

4x4American

I have been curious about trying a Dolmar.  I also like the looks of those J-red at TSC.  Was thinking about getting a Wicked Worksaw sent out..but sawmill stuff more important right now. 

I can most times start my 362 on first or second pull if I can flip the switch fast enough off full choke to keep it running.  My 066 will start first pull alot of times, even in the real cold, but then other times it won't start or run worth a darn, and so it sits on the shelf for a few months, and then it comes back out one day and runs great until it does the no start/no run thing.   ???

My 372 Husky is the smoothest riding saw I have, if you're looking for smooth.  But that x-torq engine is gutless and hard to start, so I grab the 362 over it most times.
Boy, back in my day..

John Mc

Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2016, 09:18:08 PM
I have been curious about trying a Dolmar.  I also like the looks of those J-red at TSC.

The TSC store near me doesn't seem to carry any of the better Jonsered saws, just the lower-end stuff.

I've thought about trying a Dolmar as well, but there are no dealers anywhere near me.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Texas-Jim

My choice is old one. the 026 was one of best saws stihl ever made. IMO what ever thats worth. But modern saws i would stay away from home owner or farm style, i know pro versions are higher but drastic difference in quality. I have never touched or seen a dolmer but between stihl and husqvarna there is no comparison. We sell both and im being conservative i get back back two out of 50 stihls that have a real problem. But husqvarna is pushing 10 or 12. Im not saying they dont cut but from mechanics stand point they make great boat anchors.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

4x4American

Quote from: John Mc on April 26, 2016, 09:33:32 PM
Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2016, 09:18:08 PM
I have been curious about trying a Dolmar.  I also like the looks of those J-red at TSC.

The TSC store near me doesn't seem to carry any of the better Jonsered saws, just the lower-end stuff.

I've thought about trying a Dolmar as well, but there are no dealers anywhere near me.

The TSC in Flens Galls carries the 2166 and 2172, which I would love to try.
Boy, back in my day..

Engineer

If Greenwich isn't too far away for you, the Dolmar dealer also has Jonsereds saws on the shelf.

4x4American

They're about a half hour or so, yea last time I was there I bought an engine for my wood splitter.  I didn't realize I just missed their yearly chainsaw gathering this weekend, but I was busy anyways.  The last thing I need is another powersaw, but, I could maybe convince my friend who needs one to buy one, and then I can try it.  He just bought a new stihl 170, and it wasn't running quite right.  We pulled off the muffler, and saw that the piston had a little pitting and had a lot of side to side play.  Saw didn't even have one tank through it.  Back to the Stihl dealer this week.  :snowball:
Boy, back in my day..

weimedog

Quote from: 4x4American on April 26, 2016, 10:18:37 PM
They're about a half hour or so, yea last time I was there I bought an engine for my wood splitter.  I didn't realize I just missed their yearly chainsaw gathering this weekend, but I was busy anyways.  The last thing I need is another powersaw, but, I could maybe convince my friend who needs one to buy one, and then I can try it.  He just bought a new stihl 170, and it wasn't running quite right.  We pulled off the muffler, and saw that the piston had a little pitting and had a lot of side to side play.  Saw didn't even have one tank through it.  Back to the Stihl dealer this week.  :snowball:

Can't help myself... Dolmar has the 421 which is a kick ass little saw....and you could have seen one this weekend....:)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

HolmenTree

Quote from: Texas-Jim on April 26, 2016, 09:34:48 PM
My choice is old one. the 026 was one of best saws stihl ever made. IMO what ever thats worth.
You got that right Jim. The 026/260 was the most poplar saw sold by Stihl Canada over the years. ...period.
And you won't find a more diehard woodcutter then a Canadian   8)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

lumberjack48

I had a 038 Magnum II, we used it on the landing for around 8 yrs, it bucked up 10 to 40 cds a day. After we quit logging i sold it for $200.00 to firewood cutter.
In its day 1966 the 08-S was one of the smoothest running saws i've ever heard run.
My wife bought a 026 after i got hurt, she used it for limbing behind the skidder.
The best saw i ever ran in all of Minn. timber is the 034 AV or the 034 Super, high production saw. I ran nothing but the 034 for 5 yrs before i got hurt. This saw impressed me every day i ran it. I fell trees for two skidders and help hook, using the 034.
But i believe i could do just as much with the 026 Pro from what i've read and heard about it.
I'm talking about felling 10 to 75 cds a day with it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Texas-Jim on April 26, 2016, 09:34:48 PM
My choice is old one. the 026 was one of best saws stihl ever made. IMO what ever thats worth. But modern saws i would stay away from home owner or farm style, i know pro versions are higher but drastic difference in quality. I have never touched or seen a dolmer but between stihl and husqvarna there is no comparison. We sell both and im being conservative i get back back two out of 50 stihls that have a real problem. But husqvarna is pushing 10 or 12. Im not saying they dont cut but from mechanics stand point they make great boat anchors.

both mills we saw for and 3 out of 4 loggers around here went to stihl about a year or so ago because husky was having MAJOR top end trouble with the big saws (385/395) we went through 3 in 4 weeks :o and still my boss still has a 395 sitting in his garage that seized 1st time husky fixed it 2nd time he had to pay 3rd time he bought a 460 stihl  ;D the husky still has less than 40 hours on it :o they had run husky saws for 20+ years  does anyone know if the problem has been fixed yet ???
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

lumberjack48

If i had expensive  saws seizing up i would be looking for the problem. Is it fuel mixture, air leak, set to lean, operator error, crank seals, head gasket, boot. If its this bad, i can't believe Husqvarna  don't send a Teck man out to see what the heck is going on.
When i had a saw go legs up like a dead chicken, i wanted to know what the malfunction was. Was it me or the saw, a few times it was me expecting a little to much out of it.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sandsawmill14

That's what I thought it was the fuel but when brought the 460 in they fueled it out of the same 5 gal can as the husky and the same guy went to cutting and haven't had a problem yet but as I said it wasn't  only us having the problems  :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

motohed

Another vote for the 036 to ms 362 . It's way more saw than the 041 , was . It's relatively light and has all the power you will need for most jobs . The 046 , ms 461 is a wonderful saw . Probly one of the best in the Stihl line up for a pro saw . No it's not a 660 size saw , but power to weight ratio , it's one of the best for a full time user . If your a part time user , the ms 361 or ms 362 would be agreat saw for long time use . JMHO

motohed

I just seen your looking for a used saw , I have a couple ms 360 pro's . I will run them throught the shop and take 500.00 plus the shipping cost if your interested . You can shoot me a pm , if your interested . I realize this is'nt a sale forum . I'm just trying to help a guy out the would come with a 20 inch bar , and they are in great shape , for being older models and I would give you a 30 warenty . Just for you though ! I don't usually , sell saws .

Andy171361

Hi G1xer.  Did you find the right saw?  Reading this thread I am pleased to find that I own most of the saws that people are recommending.  So disregarding the Stihl vs Husky debate and acknowledging that a good Stihl or Husky dealer close to where you live might affect your decision here goes with my tuppence worth from England.

MS 660.  Great saw.  Great and powerful and big and heavy.  I use mine for milling.  Would I use mine for general tree work?  Well I'm 5'8 and weigh 160 lbs, so no I would not.

038 Magnum.  Yep, it's true.  It's a great saw.  I have rebuilt mine a couple of times and it is still great.  But.... The chain adjuster screw is in the old-fashioned place where you have to get between the bar and the housing.  And that is a bit of a faff.  Now, the...

044 ( with 10mmwrist pin) is the direct descendent of the 038 Mag.  And I have rebuilt this a couple of times too.  But the SINGLE thing that makes this saw easier to use than the 038 series is the fact that the adjuster screw is on the side between the bar nuts.

However, if I just had to buy one saw it would be the MS 361, which was the first saw I bought.  And why?  Two things: the decompression button makes starting it MUCH easier and the spring (instead of rubber block) anti-vibes. 

So the MS361 gets my vote.  I can't comment on an MS 362 because I don't have one.  But there you go.  As we say this side of the Atlantic "You pays your money, you takes your choice."

Hope that helps!

Andy!

PS. Get a second cheap saw like an MS171 or MS 181 to do the light work and rescue your best saw when it gets pinched in a cut.  The 171/181s also have spring antivibes and with their picco chains, cut much better than you would expect for 39cc.  I love my MS171.  So two saws: MS 361 and MS 171/181.

Magicman

Quote from: Andy171361 on May 30, 2016, 05:12:40 PMThe 171/181s also have spring antivibes and with their picco chains, cut much better than you would expect for 39cc
On this side of the pond the 171/181's are listed as 31.8cc.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andy171361

My apologies!  MS181 = 31.8cc, MS171= 30.1cc.  Still a great little back up saw for when your main one gets stuck, though.

skipster

I've been on a steep learning curve with Stihl saws,and have now spent a lot of time with a lot of models.
My favorites are
10mm 044
064av
ms181c (dont laugh,this thing is a light sabre on small wood)

I dont like 460's,they just dont balance well for me,and dont feel much more powerful than the 044
same with the 066 i tried,i much preferred my 064 for handling.

Im itching to try the 241cm,as i have a 362cm that i like,but dont often use,as i tend to grab the 044

Logger RK

Nice line up of Sthil's. I prefer the 044 & 066 8)

g1xer

Hi guys
Update !!my 041 is running sweet a a nut again seems to have been a fuel line.. almost had my self an ms361  but it fell through. going to look at a 038 magnum, Think this is a good saw? any info welcome, guy says it had no work done.
Also i should have said im actually in Ireland.
thanks for all the info Regards g1xer

skipster

Just got a 241cm.
Absolutely lovely little saw,a real tiny torque monster.
Its up there with the 044 for me.

49er

Andy said
PS. Get a second cheap saw like an MS171 or MS 181 to do the light work and rescue your best saw when it gets pinched in a cut.  The 171/181s also have spring antivibes and with their picco chains, cut much better than you would expect for 39cc.  I love my MS171.  So two saws: MS 361 and MS 171/181.

I have worked on some of these small Stihls and they only had two screw carburetors. If the saw does not have three screws T,L and H. I would not buy it.
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

woodsdog2015

I just started cutting wood last year for my insert.  I use the Stihl MS251 w/18" bar and a MS362CM with a 20"bar.  I really like the lightness of the MS251 but it isn't as beefy as the MS362.  Both saws have worked out really well for me so far.  If you're looking for one all around saw the MS362CM probably would be the best bet.  I did have starting problems with mine but the dealer fixed it right away no charge and its been starting up now without any problems whatsoever.  Cuts fast too but my recommendation is to get the "yellow" (faster cutting) stihl saw chain instead of the green, it doesn't have the anti-kickback feature with the yellow chain but the cutting ability seems much better and quicker then the green (safer) chain. I wish they made the MS251 as a pro grade saw though but so far this thing has done a lot for me and I really love that saw. 
I'd rather be in the woods.
MS362CM
MS251
CS-300
Homelite 8800
FiskarsX27

g1xer

How do you tell an 038 from a magnum 038 other than the sticker on top?

Thank You Sponsors!