iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

clutch systems on diesel mills. What RPM's?

Started by ozarkgem, April 16, 2016, 05:09:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

I am going over my next mill build.( I just like to build things). I have an Isuzu 4 cyl diesel that I will turn up to 50 hp. Plan on turning it at 3000 rpm. I have not seen the clutch systems on the newer diesel mills and was wondering what they use. Though about a twin disc setup. I currently have an electric clutch on my mill but don't know if they make one to hold up to 50 hp and what it would cost. I would guess I will need 3 v belts for that much power. I was thinking 1 1/4 blades .054 thick or should I go with 1 1/2  blades? One last thing, what rpm are you diesel engines turning?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

pineywoods

I like K I S S. What's wrong with the old tried and true simple loose belt system instead of a clutch. If it ain't there it don't break or cost $$$$
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

dgdrls

Hi OZG,

there is a similar thread on RPM search a bit here,

Search the clutch WM use on their LT70's  Same power range as your looking at,
or look (Google) to an industrial clutch builder for small equipment, lots of small diameter multi-plate systems out there.

I would go with 1/1/2" bands 0.050-055 range 
Lots of torque pulling the band you need some size there

What diameter band wheels are you considering??

Best
Dan

MartyParsons

Hello,
Band blade speed should be at 5300 SFM. WM first attempt at Diesel engines back in 1996 found out that the engine rpm was needed to be lowered to help the band cut quality improve. Higher governed speed may not improve cut quality.
Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ozarkgem

Quote from: dgdrls on April 16, 2016, 11:37:54 AM
Hi OZG,

there is a similar thread on RPM search a bit here,

Search the clutch WM use on their LT70's  Same power range as your looking at,
or look (Google) to an industrial clutch builder for small equipment, lots of small diameter multi-plate systems out there.

I would go with 1/1/2" bands 0.050-055 range 
Lots of torque pulling the band you need some size there

What diameter band wheels are you considering??

Best
Dan
I have 26" wheels. But they are made for  1 1/4 bands  I would prefer 1 1/2 bands
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Quote from: pineywoods on April 16, 2016, 11:19:08 AM
I like K I S S. What's wrong with the old tried and true simple loose belt system instead of a clutch. If it ain't there it don't break or cost $$$$
nothing wrong with the loose belt system. Just wondering what the big boys used and maybe a pic of it. I am mr. simple when it come to this kind of stuff

ozarkgem

Quote from: MartyParsons on April 16, 2016, 12:43:12 PM
Hello,
Band blade speed should be at 5300 SFM. WM first attempt at Diesel engines back in 1996 found out that the engine rpm was needed to be lowered to help the band cut quality improve. Higher governed speed may not improve cut quality.
Hope this helps.
Marty
Thanks Marty. Same speed for  1 1/2 blades?

ozarkgem

ozarkgem

dustyhat

You are right 3 belts would be better, i run a few HP myself and use 2 v belts but would like 3 but dont have room, i use the loose belt tensioner, but i dont have a diesel

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

MartyParsons

Hello same band speed.
What are you using to strain the blade? Or blade tension. Different thickness blades have different strain required. .038 thick blade would have a strain different than a .055 blade.

My opinion and wisdom, use 1 1/4' band width. Don't want to start a fight.  ;) Just what I have learned in the past.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ozarkgem

Quote from: MartyParsons on April 16, 2016, 09:35:00 PM
Hello same band speed.
What are you using to strain the blade? Or blade tension. Different thickness blades have different strain required. .038 thick blade would have a strain different than a .055 blade.

My opinion and wisdom, use 1 1/4' band width. Don't want to start a fight.  ;) Just what I have learned in the past.

Hope this helps.
Marty
Haven't decided on strain system yet. My current mill has heavy die springs and they work good. Simple. With a heaver band I may have to go with hydraulic of some kind.

Thank You Sponsors!