iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bug trouble

Started by dustyhat, April 15, 2016, 03:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dustyhat

Has anybody else noticed all these little flying black bugs, they might always been here ,but theirs millions around my mill and in the log woods, cut fresh trees yesterday and this morning the ends of the logs were speckled with little black bugs boring into the ends. so i checked around my mill and there in my logs there and fresh sawed lumber. i cant even open my mouth without sucking them in. have i just now noticed them, seems to be alot. i dont believe them to be powder post beetles that im used to seeing any ideas?

mesquite buckeye

If you could post some photos maybe someone here will know. You can get a pretty good closeup with your phone if you just get as close as it will focus, then zoom in with the screen from there. I've had pretty good luck getting photos of pretty small stuff that way. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dustyhat

With a magnifying glass ,and goggle the only thing that looks close is the southern pine beetle. but they were boring holes in poplar ,redoak ,and whiteoak logs and some dry poplar 4x6s at my mill along with some pine lumber and the white wood on some cedar i got ,is this normal for southern pine beetle?

Shotgun

What trees are affected? All pine trees are susceptible, including pitch pine, white pine, and red pine. In addition to pines, hemlocks and spruce may also be affected in highly infested areas. No hardwood tree species are affected.
Keep looking...    ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Thank You Sponsors!