iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Smoking SEASON...

Started by LittleJohn, April 14, 2016, 01:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LittleJohn

Since the thermometer is finally about 60f I can finally think about taking the grill out of the garage and think about getting grilling/smoking in.  I can't wait to throw a turkey or ribs...

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm not bragging, oh wait, yes I am. My grill never gets put away. Lucky I have a porch roof over a concrete deck. I grill all year.  ;D
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

Smoking season.. You Yankees crack me up! Next you are going to tell us you have fishing seasons too :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

LittleJohn

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 14, 2016, 01:30:53 PM
Smoking season.. You Yankees crack me up! Next you are going to tell us you have fishing seasons too :D
We do, the hard part is launching the boat boat at the landing...when you can WALK/DRIVE on the water.

BTW, I have grilled/smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving, Ham for Easter and the occasional slab o' meat for New Years.  The hard part is shoveling the darn path to and from the grill when its snowing

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on April 14, 2016, 01:30:53 PM

:D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

not sure about the Minnesota winters, but can guess they are bad,,,, daughter and son in law are in Wisconsin and we do smoke and grill both when visiting, all times of the year,, but the snow and cold can effect the proper regulation of heat for sure,,no doubt that more charcoal is used from 60° and up ;D  fact of the matter, I just may lite the weber today 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

DDW_OR

northern winter smoking is "cold smoking"  :D ;) :snowball:
"let the machines do the work"

LittleJohn

The worst part grilling in the winter, is that you have to contend with ice boogers on the grill, any spot moisture would normally vent now become a booger of ice/fat/yuck.  That and you have to run out and fire the darn grill every 30 minutes

Weekend_Sawyer

I can honestly say I have never had that problem, and if I did I probably wouldn't grill in the winter. :o
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

caveman

I agree that it is smoking season.  Yesterday I had a hankering for ribs but neither of my grills were available.   The Lion's club borrowed Global Warming II, the cooker made out of a 1000 gallon propane tank and another fellow borrowed the smaller one. 

Some of my ag mech students have been working on another small grill the past several days.  It is made out of 24" mine pipe.  The external shelf is made out of 1" stainless tube.  I think some of them benefitted from learning to bend and notch tube.  The boys pictured have been doing a lot of the work on this project.  The fire box is internal and on the left side of the cooker under the narrow rack.  We are also going to add a grate under the other racks so that all of the cooking surfaces can be used to grill steaks, burgers or whatever directly.  We need to add some lid stops, thermometer, paint and generally make it look a bit more presentable and then it will be done.

I told the students who worked on it that we would cook on it once for them before the guy we are making it for comes by to get it. They were not disappointed. 
Caveman

Caveman

Carson-saws

caveman..WOW!!!!...now THATSA SMOKER!!....Have a good friend in Kansas that I keep telling him to retire and open a restaurant  The man and his wife are chef extraordinaires to say the least.  They visit every year and it is quite the occasion.  The menu is amazing!!...Ribs (of course)   filets,pulled pork,chicken salmon and an array of veggies that are off the hook fantastic.   Enjoy the smokers and bon appetit!!!
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

caveman

The little grill pictured was coated with Ospho (P2SO4), painted and a fire was built in it last week (no cooking yet).  It held the temperature well and is going to be really efficient.  We will add another coat of paint, cook lunch for the students who contributed to the project and hopefully get it out by the end of the week.  They started on two more last week that hopefully they can complete before the end of the month.
Caveman
Caveman

DDW_OR

I have 3 smokers.
First is a charcoal Brinkmann Vertical Smoker, I put a hot water heater blanket around it to help keep the heat in.
the second is an electric Big Chief Smoker. it also has a hot water heater blanket.
last is an Old one door metal fridge. Metal inside and out, no plastic. it was used as a smoker many years ago.
"let the machines do the work"

caveman

We were cooking in the rain today-some trimmings left over from the 243 slabs of ribs we cooked a few weeks ago.  We fed the students who have been helpful in making our FFA yearbook and the ones who participated in the grill build.  Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures of the finished product and it has all been devoured.  The little grill was only fed two small pieces of cherry and about six pounds of charcoal.  It held the temperature well despite the wet weather conditions.  We have been rolling it around on a nursery cart.  It will be picked up by the owner tomorrow and will be stationary.  The tallest tree in the background is one of Magicman's favorite species.
Caveman

Caveman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Good Gracious Alive Caveman!  digin1 digin_2
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

caveman

The guy who purchased it picked it up today.  He is a sergeant with the Plant City Police Department.  He said we should prepare to build more next year.  As a point of interest, the pipe we used was not exactly round after serving many years in the phosphate industry.  Also, the section of the pipe that was at the bottom was quite a bit thinner than the rest of the pipe.  They pump a slurry from the mine to the plant where the ore is refined.  It evidently has some abrasive properties.
Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!