iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Sawmill Shed

Started by Napowan, April 13, 2016, 09:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Napowan

Just got settled in to my new house and made it a priority to get a home for the sawmill.  Feels good to be making sawdust again.  During the off season, I was fortunate enough to pick up a Case 580k backhoe.  Handling logs has never been easier.

There's never nothing to do.

Magicman

That is a very nice "hidey" hole.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishfighter

Yep, if I didn't own a backhoe, I would of never bought a mill. My old 580C extendahoe  does the job. I been looking for a set of forks I can mount on the front bucket.

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Rob in NC

looks sharp - I plan to build something like that one day

be careful on those cinder blocks stacked up 3 or more high - they love to shift sometimes.
2012 Lt 35 manual

Bricklayer51

The blocks are stronger if stacked cores up.

woodman58

Nice shed. I am having 60 to 80 dump truck loads of rock brought in to fill in a hole so I can build a shed for my new mill coming in May.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

thecfarm

I put cement blocks under my wife's women cave the same way. I have just about everyone tell me the same thing.  I know that,I just did not want them to sink into the ground. Not like I am supporting 50,000 pounds.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

fishfighter

Get yourself some 18"x18"x3" concrete pads to put under those blocks and then set them right. That would help them from shifting. Logs rolling like to shift things. A 12'x 24" wet oak log weights in around 3K. You don't want that to fall on anything.

Keep in mine," what if's". Safely first. 8)

Bricklayer51

If ya gotta use the blocks that way buy a bag of quickcrete and fill the cores.

Napowan

Yes, I agree - the log deck needs some attention.  It's just temporary while I decide if I want a permanent log deck or install a log lift system .   I have black locust 6x6 timbers set up for the logs to sit on.  They didn't bow at all under load.  I still have work left to do on the shed.  Facia, more lighting.  I'll post pics as I make progress. 

Sure beats my old setup.  The platform the mill sits on is perfectly level and rock solid.  I've cut some of my best lumber on this  setup.

Thanks for the feedback.
There's never nothing to do.

ozarkgem

Nice shed. 580 K I am envious . I am surprised the sticker police have responded. :D :D
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

dboyt

Nice. Problem is "temporary" eventually becomes permanent (at least around here).  So what do you do when a log rolls off the back side of the mill?  It took me years to get around to building a log deck, but now I can't imagine running the mill without it.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

alanh

+2 on the 580 case, that`s what I use, but the clamshell front bucket is a better mouse trap

DDW_OR

most bucket forks shift side-to-side.
get a skidsteer quick attachment and true pallet forks rated for at least 3,000#
do not do what i did and get the 4 pin forks, it takes me about 15 minutes to change compared to 3 minutes with a quick attachment. time is money, even when working for yourself.

will add 2 removable post in the 24 foot gap.

left to right, Ranklin now has 4 forks, Mahindra 5520 4x4, Farmi 501 winch, Honda Rancher 2wd.
the 4 forks i use as a pitch fork. and the Honda to make quick trips back to the house.
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!