iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Self propelled splitter?

Started by isaaccarlson, April 13, 2016, 04:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isaaccarlson

How practical would a self propelled splitter be?  I am on the fence here.  The rear end from my donor mower is good and I hate to waste it.  It seems to me that a guy could make a rather nice drive unit for a splitter, or at least a powered dolly to move trailers with.
What is the general opinion here?  I already have a ton of projects, but I love doing something creative.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isaaccarlson

I just figure if I can split wood and only run one engine instead of two (something has to move the splitter) that saves wear and tear on the second one.

North River Energy

^Engines are wear items. Save your body first.

Among other things, self-propelled or not depends on yard layout and material handling capacity.
Is it easier/more efficient to move the work to the splitter, or the splitter to the work?

r.man

This one is close to my heart, I move my splitter and it is generally a pain. I have been considering three point mounting my splitter just for mobility but it means getting on and off the tractor and starting and stopping it. I have had it attached to the four wheeler, a vehicle and tractors and all of them have been disappointing. Lots of times I want to move the splitter a few feet and it is too awkward to do that very often with a vehicle. If money was no object I would buy two hydraulic drive wheels and two valves and use the splitters hydraulics to shift it around. I think any kind of self propulsion would be a real plus in my situation.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isaaccarlson

I might have figured something out.  I have a front end out of a windstar, which has driven hubs, axle shafts, and steering.  The rear end is already under the splitter and if I can get the front hubs to mount to the rear axle, OR put the whole steering setup under the front, I would have something.  I could run it with the power steering pump and have a conveyor too!  I need to get my torch tanks filled and get to work.  I have a ton of scrap iron laying around in various shapes and sizes that would work great.  I might even have a couple of old treadmills......  this is good.  I rarely take the splitter anywhere, so roadability is not important.  I can always drive it onto the trailer and haul it.  A conveyor, even a short one, would save me from bending over to pick the wood out of the pile on the ground.  Just dump it in the truck and move that to where I need it, if the stacking area is far away. 8)

isaaccarlson

My splitter is balanced so I can lift the front with one or two fingers, but it is heavy and that makes it hard to move on anything but pavement.

Hilltop366

On a three wheeled splitter one could put a drive on the single wheel and use the same wheel for steering, your self-propelled system cost and labour has just been reduced by at least 50%.

isaaccarlson

I already have most or all of the parts I need to do it, I just have to figure out HOW I want to do it.
I have thought about one vs two wheels, and will use two if the rear drive will work.  A single wheel up front could be a little tippy with accessories up there, like a conveyor.  This splitter is turning into a very handy machine.  It might not look as good, but it works much better than the store bought units.  Dad keeps hinting that he wants a table on his splitter, but he still won't let me put one on. ???

r.man

Isaac  for simplicity I can suggest two things, one is a trough instead of a conveyor, if that is doable with your rig and the other is to let the splitter cylinder lift the blocks up.
50 sec in shows the trough, it would only be suitable for a single pass, no flipping a large chunk back into the splitter, and the height will be limited unlike a conveyor but they are saying 50 some inches of height and I expect it would do more.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_av5ux9A3Y

This one is my favorite block lifter, adaptable to most push splitters and finesses the problem with no additional hydraulics. I also love watching the old guy work. To me they are dressed like Florida retirees.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUPrDJIQcY
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isaaccarlson

Quote from: r.man on April 16, 2016, 12:08:46 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwUPrDJIQcY

Now THAT is what I should build!  That would be perfect and would fit right in behind the table.  I could put a lock pin on it to hold it in the up position if needed.  That is a great idea!  The trough idea is super too!  And no need for extra hydraulics.  This is EXACTLY why I came here!  Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!