iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

simplify....parts on hand

Started by woodmills1, October 27, 2004, 06:15:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

This is either a reminder, or a new hint ifin ya haven't heard it.

If you want to simplify your sawmill life keep small parts on hand for replacement.  Buy them before you need them, especally things like motor brushes.

While finishing a pine post and beam job the other day the up/down started to act funny and then just quit.  I checked the drum switches and all was fine.  Tried the old chevy starter trick and tapped the back of the up/down motor, low and behold it started working.

Looked in the parts on hand and had brushes of both internal and external style motors.  Ten minutes later had them replaced.  It was easy because mine are external brushes, but most important the parts were on hand.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

I've never had to change brushes on a motor.  How many hours do they last?

We do keep solenoids (one of each type), dash switches, belts (drive and wheel), guide rollers on hand.  
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Percy

Thanks Woodmills for the reminder.
When I sold the LT40, I gave every spare part that wouldnt fit on the LT70 to Nathan(buyer). The LT70 has been pretty well trouble free for the last 18 months but its getting to be "about that time things start to fail".
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

woodmills1

put brushes in the hydraulic motor at around 1300 but that may have been cause the spring returns were bad for awhile and probably over stressed the motor.  My up/down motor is the pre 92 external brush type even though it a 93 mill.  I just changed those at 2100 hrs.  I keep plugs, belts, drum switches and brushes, as well as springs and track rollers on hand.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!