iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log prices just took another dive.

Started by BargeMonkey, April 12, 2016, 11:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Just got news of another price drop of 50.00 per mbdft, took a 50.00 hit a few weeks ago. Anyone else having price drops ??? On a large lot, going to cut the fw and very best stuff, ship to someone else and probably shut down till prices come back. Just when you get on a roll.  :D

ehp

Barge, mine went up on the good saw logs . Its just a weird world how things go around and around

Ed_K

Sent a load of red oak last week mixed pallet to veneer that avg $630. mbf. I won't know exact break down till middle of next week.
Ed K

dnash

Quote from: ehp on April 13, 2016, 07:22:49 AM
Barge, mine went up on the good saw logs . Its just a weird world how things go around and around

If it weren't for that exchange rate, I'm sure we'd be in the same boat.

Quote from: Ed_K on April 13, 2016, 08:05:29 AM
Sent a load of red oak last week mixed pallet to veneer that avg $630. mbf. I won't know exact break down till middle of next week.

Would you consider that good or bad?
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

ehp

yes but our dollar has climbed lots and the price is either the same or higher that what it was during the winter

Corley5

Basswood pallet bolts were up $5.00 per cord on last weeks load.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

BargeMonkey

I shipped 30k ft of mixed kind of rutty RO and averaged 560 mbdft. That's the lowest I've gotten on a check in a long time, they scaled it Monday and had dropped the price friday. Now another 50 drop. I'm doing ok @ 600, even on a mile skid. You start going 400-500 across the board on decent saw logs and it's time to stop.  :D  Im sitting on 1.5-2mil ft right now, hate to sell real good stuff cheap.

RHP Logging

Yer sittn on 1.5-2 mill bf?  What are you? Some kind of timber Baron?
Buckin in the woods

Here in western nova scotia  we are at $294  /thousand for premium spruce saw logs and most of the local hardwood is selling for around 90 bucks a cord     roadside prices

enigmaT120

Here's our most recent quarter's prices from ODF:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODF/Working/Pages/TimberSales.aspx

I don't think they've changed much for a while. 
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

BargeMonkey

Quote from: RHP Logging on April 13, 2016, 01:42:22 PM
Not even close. I'm a small ant on a big hill around here.  :D you get in some of these spots in upstate NY / Catskill's area and there is wood to be cut. I walked a job and came in 2nd on bid, the light cut was 400mbdft, the big cut in 5yrs will be 2mil ft. The wood is out there, I can count 10-12 lots Ive got and come up with 1mil+, most of its paid for already. We are primarily an excavation / mining company, i run the wood end when im home. I buy alot of small parcels, but when I do I buy 6-8-10 of them at once if I can to cut. We make the joke if I came home right now to cut fulltime, I wouldn't leave "town" for 2yrs. It's out there you just need to go find it. Didn't mean to make the comment to brag, once I have my pile of FW up for the yr and some saw logs for us we will park everything till the price comes back up.
"COXY"....  how much wood is going to waste on DEP land ???  If most of you guys in other parts of the country saw the wood we have around on state and DEP land you would be sick.

coxy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 13, 2016, 03:56:51 PM
Not even close. I'm a small ant on a big hill around here.  :D you get in some of these spots in upstate NY / Catskill's area and there is wood to be cut. I walked a job and came in 2nd on bid, the light cut was 400mbdft, the big cut in 5yrs will be 2mil ft. The wood is out there, I can count 10-12 lots Ive got and come up with 1mil+, most of its paid for already. We are primarily an excavation / mining company, i run the wood end when im home. I buy alot of small parcels, but when I do I buy 6-8-10 of them at once if I can to cut. We make the joke if I came home right now to cut fulltime, I wouldn't leave "town" for 2yrs. It's out there you just need to go find it. Didn't mean to make the comment to brag, once I have my pile of FW up for the yr and some saw logs for us we will park everything till the price comes back up.
"COXY"....  how much wood is going to waste on DEP land ???  If most of you guys in other parts of the country saw the wood we have around on state and DEP land you would be sick.
its disgusting the trees that go to waste on them lands NY would be out of the hole and they could pay every person in the state a good chunk of change every month to live   :D :D :D :D   my wood just went up 10 bucks a thou on some not much but better than the other way  I should start thinking like some around here its going up so lets go buy a new new skidder and have it a few months till they repo it  :D :D things will go up after we get the good guy in office there will be lots of industry in ny I hope  :) :) :-X :-X

Mountaynman

bargemonkey isn't the only one sittin on a lot of wood up here I have about the same all the easy skidder wood has been cut the rest of it is on steep ground long ways from the road the days of getting the mill to bob out thru the fields a mile to the skidder pile and sort wood is done around here the wood is big and hard to get and you need to build a professional landing and put the wood roadside to get the good money doin some small spring jobs seein where the markets are goin hearin that ash lumber is getting hard to move tryin to decide where to land for the summer firewood markets are shot and pulpmills are full it is a crazy time to decide what to do bout a hour from barge and my forwarder is the only one around here get log buyers leavin cards all the time sayin if id have heard a saw or machines runnin id have walked up nice wood give me a call and see what I can do for you
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

ehp

here right now they want us to pay $750/1000 for standing red oak . I will not pay that as you will go broke pretty fast at that price . I walked a bush with big red oak that would be 48 inch DBH or bigger and it sold for $880/1000 which is crazy cause little veneer in it

Mountaynman

sounds like you are in the same range we were in acouple years ago the mills were payin a buck a ft standing no one cd buy any wd the jobbers were wrkin for nothing and you wouldn't avg 850 delivered to the mill they were taxin the independents for overpayin on the stump to have the wood in inventory
Semi Retired too old and fat to wade thru waist deep snow hand choppin anymore

CCC4

Our Red Oak took a dive but only in a small bracket. Sawlogs (tie log) must be 12" inside to inside, price still holding. Scrag wood is holding...so everything in between has fallen out. I guess this means no switch ties are being bought and cants dumped from what I can figure.

RHP Logging

Quote from: BargeMonkey on April 13, 2016, 03:56:51 PM

Standing timber you mean? I thought you had that much decked.  I like hearing numbers from other guys.  I cut and landed 1.3 mill by my lonesome last year and I took a bunch of time off.  Too many kids at home.  I'd like to see my numbers from a year I worked every day. 
Buckin in the woods

ehp

went and looked at a pretty good hard maple bush , The winning bid was just over $1800/1000 on standing timber based off the land owners forester scale . I would not even come close to that price , a mill up north bought it .

killamplanes

boy I thought I had it ruff those Canadian prices are like are finish lumber prices and there still a tree in the timber!!!!
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

BargeMonkey

I see these guys talk about doing 3-3-5 trailer loads a day and I always ask, how far of a skid ??? I hear 100 yds, I don't think I've had 10pyd skid on 3% of my jobs. Close to 1mil right now, be over 1 mile next week when we go over the other side.  Yeah it's kind of disgusting, the mill I ship to literally runs out of logs day before christmas, and now wants to jerk me around. I'm good with that, I can afford to wait them out. Trying a load to someone else next week, see how this goes.
I've never kept much track of footage, at 31 I still don't think I've cut 1mil ft a yr parttime. Alot of firewood and pulp so I don't know how you want to figure that in. ???

RHP Logging

I typically cut for a mill so i keep track of every stick. Its just easier right now with all the kids at home instead of buying my own wood.  Im 34 and when it comes to work i like knowing what im producing every day.  My goal last year was 1 mill ft sent to the mill, but that didn't happen due to a wet nov/dec.  It was more like 900k and some change.  The remainder comes from pulp converted to bf.  Its easier to talk in whole numbers even though i think if i was cutting just logs it wood have been a higher number.  Pulp just takes longer for the same volume. Especially hand cut.  2.2 cords per mbf is the conversion.

A mile is a super long skid.  Anything over a quarter mile skid(out of the woods) and i get an extra kick from the mill. Usually another 10-20 per mbf.  They will pay a little more to get the wood where they want it, usually.  You may have to talk a little buisness with your mill, like preferantial pricing for a good supplier.  It happens.  They need the wood as bad as you need to sell it (for most loggers anyway).
Buckin in the woods

CCC4

1/2 mile skid is long, we will set another landing for sure if outside that.

coxy

1/2 mile is a walk in the park for me most is 1mile + the truck drivers here don't even want to go on dirt roads let alone go off road  there truck my get dusty       2 years ago I did a 400a piece it was 3.3 miles from the back to the landing 6 skids of 8 is all I could do daylight till dark by my self good thing it was down hill and half flat or I think I would still be there    we did 2 100a + jobs back in 2000 they where 600 feet wide and 9,367 feet long  on a side hill built road from the landing to the end with 2 jd 350 dozers that was a trip

BargeMonkey

The job I'm on right now has some short skid wood "less than 500 yds" I will have to break my measuring wheel out and figure out the distance from my slasher to the back. Down this way "bacon strips" is the popular way to divide land, so you will find alot of stuff like Coxy said. I've cut lots I could see both boundary lines on, but where 1/2+ long. About 5 hitches from being 1/2 done on this lot, almost 300 cord sitting in the pile, I've shipped about 40mbdft so far, that's the problem with highgrading.

coxy

the long skid is mostly due to it being so steep around here so you have a lot of switch backs to come around      barge I did a job over by you back in 02- 03 was 80a and had 5switch backs to get to the top   some of the nicest h maple i ever cut  8out of 10 was veneer  i would say 15% had harts the size of dimes  went back last year to look at it again  :( what i left the caterpillars got what a shame 15-20in maples dead

Thank You Sponsors!