iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo SRM-200DA Trimmer/Brushcutter Throttle Cable

Started by CTYank, April 12, 2016, 09:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CTYank

Yes, it's not a chainsaw. This machine is very hard to kill. Just its OEM throttle cable is a major weak link, the way it makes a tight turn atop the engine. Replacements have been NLA for many years.

When the inner cable in mine frayed to the point where it kept the throttle open, I searched everywhere, until I found a source of supply for (it turned out) the updated version, with a sweep bend in brass at the carb-end. Yes, a new cable! And, they had NINE. This machine will probably now work for me for another 35+ years.

Without this part, I'd have had to recycle the machine. Anyone needing this cable, PM me for one, or the source. (Not knowing about the updated design, I ordered two to have a spare. Not necessary now.)
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

sharkey

Could you post a pic of that cable you replaced?  I have some of the older Echo cables that came in a parts buy that I havent been able to identify.  I might just have a couple of those.

thecfarm

I have a SRM something. Mine came off the Mayflower.  ;D I need the primer bulb for it. Or at least I think that's all matter with it. I have used that thing hard for years now. Wide open on the thottle for 3-4 tanks full at a time. I wore out the starter part on it. That is the only problem I have had with it and the only part that I have ever bought for it. This is the only gas powered tool that has not giving me any problems with the amount of use it gets.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

CTYank

Quote from: thecfarm on April 22, 2016, 06:13:05 AM
I have a SRM something. Mine came off the Mayflower.  ;D I need the primer bulb for it. Or at least I think that's all matter with it. I have used that thing hard for years now. Wide open on the thottle for 3-4 tanks full at a time. I wore out the starter part on it. That is the only problem I have had with it and the only part that I have ever bought for it. This is the only gas powered tool that has not giving me any problems with the amount of use it gets.
Miy Echo is from well before yours, probably off Noah's Ark.  :) Before purge bulbs, throttle locks/interlocks and all that stuff. Many pump bulbs can be gotten cheap on Amazon & elsewhere. Just gotta find the right one- some bolt to the carb, some connect with flex lines. Happy Hunting.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Husqy 576XP-AT
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

sawguy21

The primer bulb on my SRM-2100 is part of the carburetor so go to the manufacturer, likely Walbro or Zama, for parts. They are readily available and cheap.
These machines are near bulletproof. I replaced the line guard, the knife was missing when I got it and the local dealer had the guard in stock, and installed an Oregon Speed Feed head after the worn out original came apart and the spring and line guides flew off into the Great Unknown. Starts one or two pulls every time.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

CTYank

Quote from: sharkey on April 22, 2016, 03:44:37 AM
Could you post a pic of that cable you replaced?  I have some of the older Echo cables that came in a parts buy that I havent been able to identify.  I might just have a couple of those.
Dunno about pix here, but dimensions are easy. New cable (updated design with brass sweep at carb end) is labeled as 17800107531, but was called as 175 001 07531 on ordering.
Original LOA outer: 14.375", inner: 17.25". Inner braided cable diam: 1.21 mm
Updated LOA outer:13.765, inner: 17"
OD of crimp-on ferrule at trigger end: 5.7 mm
Carb end has brass sweep elbow about 2.75" L, with ~.75" R crimped on, with 6 mm thread about 3/4" L at far end.
Both cables have crimped/cast cylinders at both ends.
     carb end is 3 mm D, 4 mm L with cable run up the axis
     trigger end is 5.9 mm D, 3.1 mm L with cable run in on a diameter.

My machine is of the early batch that ended up with a tight kink at the carb end- bad idea. Cable as manufactured was straight, vice the swept one later. I'm betting that the machine now will outlast me!

HTH
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Husqy 576XP-AT
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

CTYank

Quote from: thecfarm on April 22, 2016, 06:13:05 AM

I should have mentioned that mine (SRM-200DA) has a straight splined steel shaft, and I bought it with a "brushcutter kit". For trimming lawn & stuff I go it in two stages- first with 8-tooth 10" steel blade. With that blade it cuts 3/4" woody stuff, even, at part throttle and much lower engine rpm than with the strimmer head. I do that out in the open away from rocks and stuff. Near rocks, nylon line gets the call.

Using the blade as much as possible for trimming gets me "decorated" much less with debris. Can't hurt engine longevity either.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Husqy 576XP-AT
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

thecfarm

I bought the "kit" too. Has a steel guard. I have a straight shaft too,no idea about the spline part. I have not had the brush kit on in years. Now I find a cheap lawn mower works better. If I get a year out of one,I am doing good. I call them my mini bush hog. I use to cut the bottom support of the discharge off so I could swing that part into the bushes and cut the off. Down on the ground they will chew up some brush. Looks real nice when I get an area done. Looks like someone came in and blew some bark all over the area. Use to be able to buy them mowers for $100,now about $130-140 does it. I have brought some used,but don't seem to last long. And then most of the used ones,I stall them out and you have to crank on it 10-15 times to get it started.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!