Ordered My HM126 Yesterday...With 6' Extension

Started by Woodmonkey, April 12, 2016, 06:14:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodmonkey

After exhaustively scouring the internet for the best sawmill value for what I want to do, I think I've found it in the Woodland Mills HM126. The parts support, components and especially the price seems like the best deal out there. It's hard to believe that there aren't more manufacturers producing mills of this type at this price point. The only thing close is the Harbor Freight sawmill, but there is no parts support or customer service to speak of. Others are building some close to the HM126, but when you put them side by side they aren't where Woodland Mills is in their structural rigidity or engine HP. I mean, the low-end Wood-Mizer will run nearly $4000, and when you boil it down, it is basically doing no more than the HM126. There is nothing about the Wood-Mizer LT10 that makes it $1000 better than the HM126.
Woodland Mills HM126, Kubota GST 4240 with grapple bucket, Ford 8N, Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw.

Dave Shepard

The LT10 is only $4,000, so I don't think it's supposed to be $4,000 better.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Woodmonkey

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 12, 2016, 06:27:12 PM
The LT10 is only $4,000, so I don't think it's supposed to be $4,000 better.
Edited my LT10 price, meant $1000 more.
Woodland Mills HM126, Kubota GST 4240 with grapple bucket, Ford 8N, Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw.

Woodmonkey

I shouldn't have implied that the LT10 isn't worth the extra $1000, better wording would be $1000 better for my purposes. Additionally, since they have a supplier in Georgia, I would have to pay 7% sales tax, an extra $180. I mean, yes we have better roads than a lot of other states, but 7-9% sales tax in addition to state income tax? It makes it very hard to buy local.

Magicman

Thanks for the clarification and Congratulations on the sawmill order.  You are in good company here because there are several satisfied Woodland Mill owners.  Now we will want to see pictures of the first log.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rlahaise

I have mine set up in the yard with 2 extra extensions not yet put together.. Haven't even put oil in the engine yet because we also bought a chipper and it is getting used steadily.. Initial opinion is that the woodland mill is well built and good quality control.. 

I'll post a review when I actually use it :-)

Woodmonkey

Update: I have about 100 hours on my Woodland Mills HM126 now and I feel like I can give an informed assessment of its functionality.

One of the first things I did was research replacement parts. Bearings and belts wear out, that's a fact of life, so I went online to find inexpensive replacements. Ebay had them all; cheap. So, I ordered replacements to have on hand to minimize downtime when one gave out.

The sawmill itself is very sturdy. I don't foresee having any problems with its durability. I have already sawn logs that were 24" dia. and 10 feet long and it had no problem handling them. The 9.5 hp Kohler engine has plenty of power, I have no problem with the engine bogging down, even on the wide cuts. Is it a speed demon? No. But it does the job well at a good pace.

Speaking of speed; I wouldn't select the HM126 if you need high production. Without hydraulics, and only a 9.5 hp engine, it is no speedster. But, for a hobby sawyer like myself, it is perfect. And the price along with the customer support, and parts availability is what sold me on it to begin with.

If I had to do it all over again, knowing what I know now, I would still buy the Woodland Mills. The quality is there to justify the price. I don't think you could build your own if you had the tools to do it with for what this machine costs.

Woodmonkey

Following is the result of my first project with my Woodland Mills HM126, all wood was cut on the sawmill except for the treated posts making ground contact, OSB and countertops inside. Interior and exterior walls are poplar, and framing is pine.

Briankinley2004

I have their 130 and have been satisfied. There is a learning curve but that would be with any mill especially if your like me and have never used a band mill. I did a lot of shopping and comparing to find they were the best value for me. Each person has their own needs. If I were trailering I would have probably went with another brand once you add the price of the trailer build. For a stationary manual mill they are a good value with responsive customer care.

Pjames

mattyo5

A fine project for sure....very nice.   

I'm working on getting a bunch of hm126 maintenance vids together on my channel.   Feel free to check them out.  My main bearings failed around 300 hours in.  The guide bearings are likely best to change every year. 

My next project is to fix a broken throttle cable.  $8 from woodland. 

they also have a polyurethane belt for the non driven wheel.  gonna try that too. 

I would definitely recommend fixing up the lube system.  The wick type system I think works well, and is very inexpensive to implement. 

https://youtu.be/wsZbRuSpPFQ

https://youtu.be/h6c7Z5ptCAA
Woodland Mills HM126 Sawmill - modded
Husqvarna 385xp rebuilt and ported
Husqvarna 372xp rebuilt and ported
2x Husqvarna 350 ...rebuilt and ported
Hitachi CS33etdb top handle saw

mattyo5

Also, I highly recommend that if you have the $$ and the space to lengthen/upgrade the tracks.  I now have 30' rails... just 3"x4" L 1/4" thick from my local steel place.   They come in 40ft too, and now I'm kinda regretting not getting the 40ft.   Not because I'm gonna use all 40ft or do a 40' beam, but because its SUPER nice to be able to maneuver the log anywhere on the rails and be able to cut.  It was about $400 delivered for the two 30' rails.  ...  was a nice upgrade for sure. 

Briankinley2004

Mattyo what did you use for cross bunks and clamps on the extensions. Thinking of making my own but if use their stainless caps and dog system I won't save much unless I can scrap some materials

mattyo5

I used the woodland bunks etc.   Just replaced the rails.   Their stock rail is 2.5" x 4" ...  so using a 3"x4" you raise the head slightly...ie ...its lowest position becomes higher.  Anyway, I just drilled the new rails to accept the woodland bunks.   I had the same setup as the OP....  hm126 w/ 6ft extension

thecfarm

Glad you like it. I have a manual mill too. Slow,but I only saw for myself. Kinda like the wife wants to spend $5000 on an anch to boil 2-3 gallons of maple syrup a year  ::) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Briankinley2004

So do they sell just the bunks or did you just increase spacing?  I'm thinking of going to 30' and not sure if spacing the ones I have that far would work