iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finding new lots, customers

Started by madmari, April 10, 2016, 06:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmari

Anybody have a good way to advertise and get new lots to cut? Getting hungry....
I have good references, everyone I have cut for has been happy but I tend to get the work nobody else will do.
  I am a one man show with a small skidder.

Any ideas?
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

furltech

I have pretty good luck paying a finders fee to anyone who gets me a lot i sign i pay it on the ton .so at any time i have a bunch of guys looking without any real cash on the line .a lot of my blocks just come from past landowners friends .And i ask and mention i am looking any where i go when i get too much ahead i have a ctl crew i hire .

grassfed

Figure out who the foresters are that work in your area. Foresters that do current use plans are often looking for smaller cable skidder guys to work some of their jobs. Talk to the state forester for your county and get a list of the local private foresters. Other than that Craigslist and Green mountain trader ads.
Mike

madmari

I had a pretty good thing going years back, I left for a while and just started back in logging this winter.
The biggest obstacle I've found is landowners that have no marketable timber, yet want you to work miracles for their lot AND they expect high revenue from the wood.
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

thecfarm

References are good. But I find out most don't bother checking.  ::) Take pictures of your work and have a notebook handy to show off. Pictures of logs will work too. I would think you can get into places better than some big equipment.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BargeMonkey

I agree 100% on talking to your local foresters. I don't bid / buy much state wood, but all the private foresters I know have smaller tracts / 480A type / TSI work coming out of their ears. I'm not going to knock the guys on CL, your region is just far enough from mine that maybe things are different, but typically all the ones I see down here advertising on there are the dregs of society / fly by night log bandits who can't find work, I would keep your add professional and simple. 90% of landowners want miracles from a marginal lowgrade woodlot, they hear the stories of high dollars and think a woodlot is an ATM, I just went thru this with extended family members who wanted to hammer off a lot before they sold it. I've got a few people scouting wood for me, it rarely pays off but worth a risk if you deal with alot of people and don't mind paying a small finders fee. I'm sure I will upset the puritan's but down here it's all about who you know. A few cases of beer, cord of wood or cash in an envelope goes a long ways.  :D   

OH logger

I have small realator type signs with my company name and number that I put in front of every job I do.  it gets me a few calls
john

jwilly3879

The guy I used to work with would get a line on a lot, usually owned by an old timer and would go visit with a bucket of bullheads, some trout or some really nice pieces of venison. After several hours of conversation he would usually have a contract.

Lately the LO's have been contacting either my son or myself. Seems strange but we've had wood all along.

RHP Logging

I have truck magnets that get me calls.  DNR foresters, consulting foresters.  Call around to get on the call lists. Lots of word of mouth, obviously helps. Big construction companies for clearing sites.  Advertise in local farm papers/mags.  Logger papers/mags if you have em there. Beating down doors works when you drive by a nice patch.
Buckin in the woods

ohiowoodchuck

A logger in my area uses the tax auditor/gis maps and just does a lot of door knocking. He usually does ok and is able to go from one job to the next. It's just him and a helper cutting though.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Ron Scott

Yes, get to know the foresters serving your work area, and good work should soon find you more work.
~Ron

BargeMonkey

In NY it's called "real property tax office". My wife is down there 2-3X a month pulling maps, they updated ours so they have property boundary line length's, addresses, and contour lines. I'm doing an 11-parcel job right now, having the aerial tax maps is a huge help but we still flag and walk lines to make sure ahead of time. If you know a decent surveyor thats the guy to talk to, they walk woodlots all the time, I've got one who scouts for me and will run disputed lines if I have a serious issue.

H.O.D.

Hi Madmari. Sometimes I have small scale cutting on my place. I know there is a method to contact individuales on the Forum but just dont know what it is. Let me know.

Thank You Sponsors!