iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cautionary tale, Sawmill brow and deck loading SAFETY

Started by BoyZinthewoods, April 09, 2016, 11:18:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoyZinthewoods

We've come a long way over the years with tools and machinery and it's easy to forget the shear POWER these things have.   A friend who is a veteran woodworker just ran his thumb through the table saw a few weeks ago and we were rehashing tales of accidents around the new saw stop saw and trying to gain wisdom of how to operate more safely in a world of spinning sharps, hydraulics and fast moving tree parts.  I was thinking a lot about safety today as 3 out of 4 of us had missing or mangled digits from the *DanG table saw.   

On to the mill...Last year as we were loading a few 18' long 2' dia spruce logs off of the trailer onto the brow the loose cuff of my glove was caught by a 1" spike of a branch on the log as it came rolling off the trailer.  I was flipped over the log by my glove as the log rolled and was tossed onto the railroad tracks that comprise the brow deck.  fortunately i fell clear of the collision as the log slammed into the previous log and escaped with only a cracked rib. 

Cut those tree limbs flush and i would advise wearing gloves with tight cuffs and keep loose sleeves and clothing out of the way...  Leave the neckties at home
"Making a living without a job"

isaaccarlson

Yep, small things can bring about big problems.

I cut all my stubs off.  I don't need to trip and get a punctured lung or head or anything else for that matter.  A round log is a safer log.
Once a log gets moving, I try to stay out of the way.  If it tries to run away, just let it go.

Cazzhrdwd

I seem to be in a pattern of smashing my *DanG fingers! Thumb got it yesterday.

Also watch those wedding rings, probably better to take them off, briefly caught mine last week once again.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

WLC

One of my uncles was missing the very end of one of his thumbs, cut off just below the nail bed.  Tablesaw.  My dads old boss when I was a kid pulled his ring finger completely off from the middle knuckle up.  Climbing down from the dump truck, grabbed hold of the mirror bracket and swung down.  His wedding ring caught on a nut and off went the finger.

Luckily, after over 60 years as a carpenter my dad still has all his fingers and both eyes.  He's been cut several times but never cut anything off.

Lots of scars here myself, but still got all ten fingers and toes and both eyes.  Thank you Lord!
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

BoyZinthewoods

man! did your ring get caught too?  I haven't worn my ring in years (sorry dear) for that risk.  I've worked on boats a lot and that's been a concern there too with lots of unstable footing and lines feeding out.
"Making a living without a job"

dboyt

I haven't worn a ring or watch in years, though I thought about having one tattooed around my finger.  My wife is fine with that, but Keibtz's picture should be enough to convince anybody.  Steel toe boots, too.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

LittleJohn

I have heard that electricity is even worse, for ring wearers that is...

My dad the old school lineman, the guys who climbs the power poles, has seen a few work accidents in his day.  He once had to pick up a finger and drive a guy with severe electrical burns into the hospital.  He is also was a part time fireman and first responder and seen some messed up stuff, and HE ALWAYS HATED electrical burns (apparently its the smell that gets him)

starmac

I started hauling hay commercially when I was 13, several times a year I would see a newby wearing a ring let a bale of hay snatch him right off the truck, even with gloves on. The same with wrist watches.
I also watched a guy short his metal watch band out while working on a vehicle, not pretty. Sooo never had the desire to wear a ring or even a wristwatch, married all my life and the wife understands it.

Years ago, we were moving some telephone poles. I put a choker around a few of them and held the end while the dozer operator tightened up the slack. I motioned him to go just as the slack was tightening up, but one of the poles turned and a crossarm bolt end smashed my finger between it and another pole. I jerked my hand back, and just naturally it went behind my back while I watched the finger of of my leather glove waving in the breeze as he left with the poles, It took what seemed like forever before I could bring my hand around and see if my finger was still there. My fingernail was gone, but finger was still attached. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

sealark37

Wearing a necktie around a work site is tantamount to a death wish.   Regards, Clark

Cazzhrdwd

Friend of mine was welding above his head and a piece of liquid metal landed on his ring and stuck, of course it turned his ring instantly red hot and he sure couldn't pull it off.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Kbeitz

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on April 14, 2016, 06:42:46 PM
Friend of mine was welding above his head and a piece of liquid metal landed on his ring and stuck, of course it turned his ring instantly red hot and he sure couldn't pull it off.

I have a scare on my wrist from the same thing.
Also had a few hot beads go down my shoe.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

drobertson

I know there are a few here that have heard the sound of ear wax boiling off too,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

plowboyswr

Quote from: drobertson on April 14, 2016, 07:54:40 PM
I know there are a few here that have heard the sound of ear wax boiling off too,,
smiley_wavy Ah yep.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

isaaccarlson

I have experience on the other side of things.

My first ring saved my hand.  I was removing a steering box from a b30 forklift and it fell on my hand.  The very sharp mounting flange landed directly on my ring, with the ring gently squishing down onto my finger and absorbing the impact.  The ring was tight and did cut in a little bit, but I got it off after smacking it the other way with a hammer to make it sort of round again.  The whole band is warped like a potato chip and out of round.  The stone is also falling out.  I think the steering box weighed ~170 lbs if I remember right.  The band is a little over 1/8" wide, so that sharp edge landed right on target to save my hand.  I would be at least 2 fingers less if it had missed the ring.

My new ring has a wider band and no shield to get caught on stuff.  That point caught everything.

Thank You Sponsors!