iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for pictures

Started by Brandon1986, April 09, 2016, 06:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon1986

Hey, when I was a young lad we had a 5 cord log truck with a Cascade Ramey self loader.  I am having a heck of a time picturing that old loader now, we got rid of it when I was 7... Does anybody have any pics of one of those or know where I can find one or 2 to jog my memory.  Google image search has yielded next to zero results.
Thanks, Brandon

starmac

No pictures, but a guy up here had an old ramey, that the way I understand had never been used for sale.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

thecfarm

Try ramey on the FF search.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gearbox

I don't have pics but can tell you how they worked . Single boon with one cylinder to lift and another cylinder on top with a multi groved cheve  so you had I think 4 cable wraps with a single line to the bucket . Some used a rope on the bucket to rotate . They were clumsy but beat working by hand or cross haul loading .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

starmac

Wow, the ramey I know of for sale is suppose to be old, but must be new compare to that one. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Brandon1986

I did a FF search and the only pic that came up was the barrel.. I recall how it worked to some degree.  Dad was telling me about it the other day, the thing was on a 53' Autocar single stage pump no bypass grapple.  Haha sitting here reminiscing 3 or 4 years old, I remember my seat was a milk crate.. no back window the chain box was a massive dent in the top of the cab right under the seat of the loader.  I would REALLY like a pic of the valve body.  I remember looking at it thinking there must be a hundred million zillion levers (4 years old that's how you count).  I couldn't imagine running it now after getting off my nice 3 stage pumped low hour Olympic, but I would love to find one to look at closely.

lumberjack48

My uncle had one on a new 59 IH tandem truck. I remember him taking about the new knuckle boom loaders. He didn't like them because you had to move your truck to much to get a load. He would throw the bucket 15 to 20 feet to grab a log. It was fun to watch him load.   
But they were dangerous, if the winch shoes didn't release the cable would suck the boom straight up over the loaders head. Then the cable would break letting the boom drop down. If you had a bucket full of wood things got pretty scary. My uncle told stories of this happing to him.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Grandpa

Nice picture LJ.
Looks just about like the original Prentice, known locally as a yo-yo boom.
Like LJ said, a lot of guys were unhappy with the transition to knucklebooms.

Brandon1986

No that's not it, well not the one I am looking for anyway.  The one we had was VERY similar to this one https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=57835.0
but this pic doesn't show it in its full.. I am trying to find a full image.

North River Energy

Brandon,
Does it look anything like this one?
http://beckmannag.com/firewood-production/the-hank-truck
This may be a smaller version. Has about 12' reach, chain driven swing.

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Brandon1986

Boy that sure looks close to what I remember.. likely a little bit smaller than the one we had.  As I recall the hoses were neater too.  That one has a chain drive swing where only the boom moves not the whole upper structure right?  If anyone were up to guessin what would y'all guess that to be year wise?

Brandon1986

Ah found the link had a video... yeah the one we had was a little bigger and only the boom swung.  The seat and valve body was stationary on the tower..

North River Energy

^If you have a link to video, don't be stingy... :'(

The work platform on my Ramey turns with the tower, but I don't think it was like that originally. I suspect mine started life in a stationary application,  and then repurposed as a truck mount. My guess is mid to late 60's.
That photo was taken just before I took ownership. I've straightened out a few things since.

Brandon1986

The video link is attached the the picture link posted above

North River Energy

^That's funny. Didn't realize you were referencing the video of my loader.

Brandon1986

Oh thats YOUR loader! I wish you were closer I would bug you to try it, just to satisfy my curiosity. Pops was telling me the other day the non pass thru grapple on his was always a source of irritation for him, do you find that to be a fact as well?

North River Energy

^If you have any questions, or want additional photos, let me know. I think I left some repair info under the 'heavy metal' header on that page.
That bucket is clumsy by comparison to a standard Rotobec bypass, but it's certainly better than no bucket at all, especially if you weld a set of fangs to the bucket edges and keep them sharp.
The short reach, and the single pump can be frustrating, but it was still an excellent purchase.

Thank You Sponsors!