iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buy a LT28 Woodmizer

Started by carykong, April 09, 2016, 02:48:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carykong

Good Day Forum,
I have an opportunity to buy a used LT28,over 10 years old,low hours,seldom used,in the weather,has not been run in over 2 years, lots of superficial rust,Kohler 18,appears complete. Tires flat. Replaced battery. Turns over but no start. Opinion on value?
Thanks,
Cary

Chuck White

I would ask the current owner what he'd have to have for the mill and any accessories.

Lots of times there would be cant hooks, peevey's, additional blades, sawmill tools, spare parts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

W/O seeing a picture hard to say.4 maybe 5k tops sounds neglected and poorly used.As an old horse trader friend said "you can always go up in price ,but you can't go down".He is dang ruthless will give somebody a low ball offer that dang near gives them a coronary and then slowly brings them back to life.Funny old Frenchman,him.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

carykong

thanks for the replies
I wonder what a reconditioned LT28 sold by woodmizer would cost?  I did email woodmizer and they have no LT 28s or LT 25s used/reconditioned for sale.

Chuck White

Might pay off to give Wood-Mizer a call and ask what the mill in the condition you describe should sell for!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dgdrls

Quote from: Chuck White on April 10, 2016, 06:49:59 AM
Might pay off to give Wood-Mizer a call and ask what the mill in the condition you describe should sell for!

As Chuck indicated call WM,

WM owners can weigh-in if I'm off here,
When you call have the serial number off the machine and they can track the history they have on it,

Also https://www.woodmizer.com/usedsawmills/orangeestimate.aspx

best
Dan

Knute

Can't help you on price, but I have a 2010 LT28 and it is a very good mill. I have the 24 HP Kohler.

4x4American

The flat tires make it pretty much useless, would have to offer him scrap price lol

(jk)

Boy, back in my day..

carykong

Where is the serial number located?

Chuck White

On the LT40, the serial number data tag is located on the inside edge of the main beam and on the sawhead!

Seem likely the tags would be the same on a 28.

carykong

Thx All
Bought the mill today

Upper

Well,how much was it worth?
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

outpost22

Sounds like someone left old stale gas in it. Hopefully not fuel with ethanol. If the engine is carbed, it most likely would need a carbectomy  :-\
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

carykong

Upper

Very cool Mr. kong,good luck...... 8)
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

ScottInCabot

Quote from: 47sawdust on April 09, 2016, 05:47:01 PM
W/O seeing a picture hard to say.4 maybe 5k tops sounds neglected and poorly used.As an old horse trader friend said "you can always go up in price ,but you can't go down".He is dang ruthless will give somebody a low ball offer that dang near gives them a coronary and then slowly brings them back to life.Funny old Frenchman,him.

Had a fella do that to me once.....I showed him how to leave the property.  I thought that was FUNNY.

Sounds like you got a fine, fair price.  Guessing you had to bring tires to get it moving?  Or was it 10 cans of fix-a-flat and a warning to the poor fella changing the tires later :o  Did you get her to start too?

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

carykong

Yup, had to use fix-a-flat cans to get the tires inflated. Towed it home,slow,short trip. Found out after closer inspection it is a LT27.  Stenciled right on the cutting head,duh.  Sprayed the whole mill down with auto-trans fluid with my deck sprayer.  The chain for the head crank loosened up.  I can move the head up and down! and back and forth,yippee. Still have to deal with the motor. The lub tank and gas tank were fried in the sun.  Also, the pvc clear tubing to indicate fluid level on the gear box between the drive shaft and bandsaw wheel was toasted.  I hope the original owner did not operate with a dry gearbox.

BTW, I have no owner/operator/maintenance manuals.  What kind of oil type/weight should I put into the gearbox off the drive shaft?

thanks again for all the support

Magicman

Give WM a call for some replacement manuals or links to PDF's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Cary,

Congrats on the new arrival. Hearing about someone buying and repairing and providing a happy home to an abused mill is like hearing a tear jerking story some kind soul rescuing a neglected puppy who later risks his life and saves the whole family from a house fire or burglar.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

pineywoods

Cary, fill the gearbox with automatic transmission fluid. I use 80/90 wt gear oil in mine, but don't do that in cold climates. I have rescued a couple of old lt40's from the scrap heap, so I've been there. Questions, ask away. One thing you will quickly learn is the value of woodmizer support. If you can find a serial number, they can give you a history of the mill and likely provide manuals. I couldn't find a serial # on mine, but I got it by providing  the previous owners name.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

carykong

Almost got the kohler command 18 to start today after changing plugs,fuel lines,gas tank,gas filter,air filter.  Starter crapped out after 4th attempt.  Did fire with a little fuel direct into the carb.  May need carb re-build. Also, Woodmizer sent me the manuals online.  The online manuals do not ID a circuit breaker button below the ignition key.  30amp? What circuit does it protect?  If no one responds ,I will pester the Woodmizer experts again.

carykong

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=203177#top_display_media

You can see the circuit breaker button below the ignition key slot to the right. What does it protect?

Remle

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it is in the power line to the key switch from the starter .
BTW, does the main rail have a bend in it as shown in picture #1/3 ? Hopefully it just an optical illusion.

Slingshot

Remie....
that is no optical illusion but is a picture of his older LT25 that was involved
in a highway mishap. He sold it some time ago.

------------------------------
Charles    sling_shot

carykong

Yup Slingshoot
Building a barn
Could not resist another mill purchase

carykong

Just an update, replaced 30amp circuit breaker,new plugs, cleaned carb bowl and idle jet,replaced one O ring, without removing the whole carb,filled bowl with seafoam, replaced the quick attach fuel connectors on the gas tank and replaced the tank. Started right up and exhaust was like a mosquito sprayer as the seafoam was burned off.  The twin kohler smoothed out after about 5 minutes. Runs great at idle and full.  Yippee. Lubed all points,drive belt seems to be OK. Ready to saw on monday. big test. will share more.

tnaz

Carykong Good deal, how about some pictures with saw dust in them.

Good luck with the new to you mill,

Terry

carykong

First log after about 4 years and first cant

tnaz

Everything cutting and working good?  How much lumber needed for the barn project?

Upper

Well, the mill is good looking
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

samandothers

Quote from: Upper on May 03, 2016, 03:57:42 PM
Well, the mill is good looking

:D

Rough crowd!  Glad all is working!

carykong

The barn site has two trees that I will take down and mill. Footprint is 28' x 24'. I will require 15 cants 7"x10"x12'long. 26 rafters 3"x10" (13 16' long and 13 12' long).  And lots of 6/4 stock for planking in the loft 24x28 sqft and rafters. 3/4 thick for siding and roofing.  Will cut as needed.  I expect to frame most of this lumber green and will not stockpile very much stickered lumber.  I promise pictures on progress. It feels really good have a mill in the backyard again! 

carykong

And forgot to say that the mill cuts true and the motor is strong. I am a lucky dude. Woodmizers are quality.

47sawdust

carykong,
Glad the mill worked out.You bought it right,one never knows until you get it home and dive in to it.I've heard good things about using Seafoam and frequently use it as  an additive to my fuel.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

carykong

47sawdust

I've sawn two logs side by side but never tried one log on top of the other. :D :D :D
Mick

Magicman

That is a recipe for disaster.   :o

This was the first and only time that I ever sawed two logs at one time.  It was not productive enough to ever do it again.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

carykong

Magicman

:D  OK.  Everything that glitters is not gold.   8)

carykong

New oak ramp for my mill so I can load the big ones with my puny loader

carykong

Sawed the post and beams for my new barn, all 7x10x12'.  Rafters done all 3"x10"x16'.  Time to saw 5/4 for the loft floor.

Installed second post today with a little help from my tractor forks

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/22326/post~0.JPG

Thank You Sponsors!