iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What tool do you use the most at your mill?

Started by outpost22, April 09, 2016, 10:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

killamplanes

jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

4x4American

MM you could make a calendar...

-Tape measure
-Mill special
-speed square (i like square cants and I cannot lie)
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like MM uses his camera most.

1) Tape measure
1a) peavies
2) screwdriver end of chainsaw scrench
3) wire brush
4) 7/16" combination wrench
5) little sledge hammer
6) chain saw
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Larch

Quote from: 4x4American on April 09, 2016, 10:24:54 PM

-speed square (i like square cants and I cannot lie)

Glad somebody finally said a square.  My framing square is my most used tool.  Every time I turn a log I make sure the outside face is sitting square to the bed rails. 

outpost22

Quote from: dgdrls on April 09, 2016, 12:53:38 PM
Quote from: outpost22 on April 09, 2016, 10:36:00 AM
By now I've figured out what tool comes out of the tool box the most. Since mine's a manual mill, a mallet for manually setting the dogs is used most, followed by my 6' level for leveling the log.  The 3/4" wrench sets used to adjust my blade tension seems to get used a lot too, not counting my brain  :) 
What tool do you guys reach for most frequently?

Hi outpost,  I would say My tape,

What is your though for using the 6' level on the log? 

Best
dan

I use the 6' level to gauge my first cut lengthwise down the log as a "sighter", measuring from the blade height. Until I get better at this I don't want to remove too much wood.
I didn't include the tractor in the list as I said "What comes out of your tool box the most". It won't fit in there without some sledge work  :)  It also serves as my Peavey when logs are larger.
Creating one more project one at a time.
Burg Bandsaw Mill
Stihl 010
Stihl 210
Stihl 251
Stihl 461
Husky 350
Kubota L3800

Brad_bb

In order of most used
Wisk Broom
Tape measure
wedges
square
level
cant hook

What is MM's secret to scoring hot young chicks?  He really is a Magic Man!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

rjwoelk

I missed a part of this operation. Its the wife that gave us the permission to do this kind of work.😇 I guess I am the tool that is most needed.😓

Hi Brad had another trip through Indianapolis came out of tulsa OK had fancy iron rail fencing. I am heading to green river OK with 2 large screw auger conveyors for a mine. Hope all is good.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

WV Sawmiller

I don't know about the rest of you guys but if MM keeps posting pictures like these I'm coming to Mississippi to work and live.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

:D  I just call um like I see um sooooooo, how about another??  Not a tool but "Lumber Graders" are important too!! ;D   :)

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

tnaz

justallan1

I'd say my 60" cant hook for loading, turning, scooting and as a roller when placed under a log, because I don't have toe rollers.
Second up would be whichever hammer is nearest to set the log clamps before I flip the clamp handle.

drobertson

case loader first, then the hook, then the tape, then the chain saw,  dust broom handy too, scoop, and wagon, but first thing on goes on the head,

my radio headphones, a must have, don't saw without,  lost Dixie sometime back, sure miss the girl,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Thanks for bringing up Safety David.  I don't have radio phones, but I absolutely do not saw without ear plugs, safety glasses, dust mask, steel toe boots, gloves, and a hat.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

Yea I always use ear plugs.  I have found that the 3M Classic E-A-R earplugs to be the best.  I think they reduce 30db of noise, and I get many uses out of them.  I buy them bulk and they are worth every penny.  Each one comes with a cardboard case that I flatten and keep in my pocket when they are in my ears.  I've tried many different ear plugs, and these are the best, IMO.  I hand them out at the sawmill and when people use them they always like them.  One thing I've noticed with them is that once you put them into your ears, it makes everything hard to hear.   
Boy, back in my day..

drobertson

Man, I have to admit something,, here,  I use these cause I like to jam while sawing, whether with the mill, weed eater, mower, tractor, whatever makes noise,  I like music, I wear safety glasses, have since bout79' but the tunes are a must when whacking anything.  I am hard of hearing, part environmental, a lot hereditary, and will add, with these, I can here sounds that most cant while sawing.. plus a good song ;D 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Bruno of NH

I use the radio head gear at the mill and in the shop . I love music and like to sing .
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ncsawyer

I would have to say the most use tool at my mill is me.  After a day of sawing I might put 12 hours on my hour meter, 8 hours on the sawmill, and probably not even an hour on the tractor (if I'm sawing at home).

I've definitely got more hours on my hour meter than any other tool or piece of equipment I own.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

starmac

Lordy, if I am equipped with an hour meter, I sure hope the DOT never finds it. lol
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

rl

brain then tape measure   after 8 hours I cant even think any more.  tape could go for another 8 hours if I could.  I tell my help they are physically tired but I am brain tired
rl

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on April 12, 2016, 07:50:36 AM
Quote from: Brad_bb on April 10, 2016, 11:00:08 AM
What is MM's secret to scoring hot young chicks? 

G.R.I.T.S.

You have hit the goat nail on the head.  :D
Grits will do it every time.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

I never realized that there were not cute chicks at all sawing jobs.  smiley_headscratch   Maybe you guys are sawing for the wrong customers??   ???

Sixacresand

Quote from: rl on April 12, 2016, 07:19:17 AM
  brain then tape measure   after 8 hours I cant even think any more.  tape could go for another 8 hours if I could.  I tell my help they are physically tired but I am brain tired
When fatigue sets in, then I get tired-stupid and begin making mistakes.  That is when it is time to quit.  I have  a friend Carl, who hangs out with me on sawing jobs.  He is very senior physically but he is my Eagle Eye who watches clamp, loading arms and log stop heights.  Recently, se were down to our last log and it was late.  He reached over and turn off the mill engine and told me that we needed to take as much time and be just as careful on this last log as we were on the first one that morning. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!