Buying a Peterson and need help!!!

Started by hatchoil, April 07, 2016, 09:59:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hatchoil

Im getting ready to buy a Peterson WPF10 with slabber and planer head. I am planning on mainly selling slabs and figured lumber from urban logs. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should try to sell. I dont really want to do for hire mill work. Any suggestions would be grealy apprecaited, I want to pay this thing off as soon as possible. Also if anyone has any do and don'ts  that they would like to share.

fishpharmer

Hatchoil, welcome to FF.  I'm not much help with any of your questions.  That little search box up on top of this page is very useful in finding all types info from the immense wealth of knowledge that forestry forum provides.  Good luck.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

HSV

Quote from: hatchoil on April 07, 2016, 09:59:25 PM
Im getting ready to buy a Peterson WPF10 with slabber and planer head. I am planning on mainly selling slabs and figured lumber from urban logs. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what I should try to sell. I dont really want to do for hire mill work. Any suggestions would be grealy apprecaited, I want to pay this thing off as soon as possible. Also if anyone has any do and don'ts  that they would like to share.

Hi there hatchoil  :)

Thank you for your message! I'm happy to hear you're looking to a Peterson!

I have put a call out to all of our owners for assistance in answering your question and will be in touch shortly with their collated replies.

Once you order your Peterson, we will issue you with a login for the Owner's Area of our website, and you will also be granted access to our Private Owner's Group on Facebook. You'll be able to ask for advice in there too!

Don't hesitate to contact us any time by phone or email, we're here to help.
http://petersonsawmills.com/contact/

Cheers
Layla

thecfarm

hatchoil,welcome to the forum.
Slabs take time to dry. Should be some past post on drying and selling slabs.
Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grandedog

Howdy,
   Depending on where you're located, any lumber for structural use needs to be graded. With the double cut capability of the WPF, you can knock out up to 10" x 20" beams without resetting. Beams that size are easily worth having graded. Mantles are also good for large dimensions, and don't need to be graded. If you're going to be using urban trees, a metal detector would be a good investment.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

HSV

Thanks to thecfarm and Grandedog for your assistance so far!

I've also had some replies from a few of our owners which I'll post below.

Products in demand here are old growth Fir vertical edge grain for door stock and flooring blanks. Old growth cedar vertical edge grain or flat sawn timber packages. Try to work with local log salvagers to keep your wood cost down, or get the wood yourself.
- TJ from British Columbia

I love slabs and I love the idea of using logs that would ordinarily not get much attention as useful wood.  You may already know that urban logs will be full of all kinds of "junk" (nails, bolts, ...), so a good metal detector is in order.  Also, you may want to find a kiln operator to get the slabs dried, as they take a long time to air dry.  Me, personally, I paid off my saw by cutting wood for my own use, which has more than paid for the saw.  The biggest project being 6" wide oak plank flooring for the house I was building; which would have cost me more than the price of the saw to buy this.  Additionally, you may want to consider cutting some 5/4 and 4/4 furniture lumber for the local craftsman market.   
- Roger from Connecticut

Contact local wood workers and cabinet makers to see if they're interested, what species that they work with, dimensions, etc.  Another area to look at is to contact local architects and builders that might be doing custom work for people building or remodeling their homes.  I've milled pine siding for ranchers that were repairing or building a new barn.  I don't know where you live and what the regulatory situation is there, but here in California, if you are removing trees from your property and have them milled for construction on your property, you don't have to have the lumber graded.  So a new landowner that wants to build a house could either have you set up on their property or ship the logs to his mill site.  Set up a website and let folks know via Facebook that you're in business.
- Steve from California

hatchoil

Thank you guys for the suggestions!!!!