iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What time of year to cut?

Started by land_owner, October 26, 2004, 12:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

land_owner

Hello, I'm new to this site. I found this forum to be very informative. I have question regarding when is the best time of year to cut my trees for harvesting? I have heard if you cut the trees in the summer, you run the risk of down grading your lumber because of the sap in the tree; is this true? ::)

Norm

Welcome aboard LO, about the only reason I can think of to cut at a certain time of year is if your harvesting white woods such as the maples. It is easier to get stain in it during the summer months. As far as sap goes it is in the trees year around, I've never seen much difference in fresh cut wood no matter what time of year I've sawn it.

Ron Wenrich

Summertime harvesting has a couple of downfalls.  The one about blue stain is a valid one, especially if you are going to use the wood yourself.

From a market point of view, veneer markets are a little weaker.  Foreign buyers don't buy much in the summer.  This is also related to the blue stain in the sapwood.

Depending on what you're leaving in your woods, you may have a problem boring insects that set up shop in the slash (tree tops).  It can be a particular problem with black cherry and the peach borer.  The result is gum streaks left in the residual stands.  It is a degrade.  I suspect it may also contribute to other species.

A really good time for harvest is the dead of winter.  There is little chance for soil compaction if it is frozen solid.  Soil compaction can lead to a problem of regeneration.  

There is also less chance of rutting the soil.  Rutting comes from it being too wet during the skidding process.  This causes soil compaction and excessive amounts of mosquito pits.  

Dry spring or fall periods can also be a good time to harvest
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Jeff

Many Foresters in Michigan are setting restrictions on the harvest times of Red Oak due to Oak Wilt possibilities. The trees must be in dormancy.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

bwalker

When cut in the winter species that regenerate off the stump will grow back faster/sooner.
 We owned a section outside of Elbow lake, MI that had pieces cut in the summer and some cut in the winter. The differance was very noticable.

land_owner

When sap strarts to run in a maple won't this cause more sap in the wood . ???

Ianab

QuoteWhen sap strarts to run in a maple won't this cause more sap in the wood .

Hi Land_owner

I believe that the amount of sap / water in the wood doesn't change much with the season. During winter it is merely dormant. The best time for cutting seems to depend on a lot of factors like Ron has pointed out. Drying issues, disease, regrowth, weather, market prices, log storage and ground damage could make some times of year better than others in various situations.

Your original question about summer cutting may be related to sap stain. This is a fungus that can get into some species of wood and stain the log. Usually a problem if logs are left uncut in warm weather. A pine log may sit around for months in the winter with no problem, in summer the fungus will attack it and cause degrade in a week. If the logs are cut and the timber dried promptly it can be avoided.

So yes, be carefull in the warm weather, if you cut logs and leave them on the ground too long before milling them they will downgrade. It happens faster in the summer. It's fungus that is your enemy, not the sap. If you cut the log in winter, and leave it, it will stain once it warms enough for the fungus to start work.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

land_owner

Thanks  guys you have been alot of help ;D

Ron Scott

All the items mentioned need to be considered in deciding when to cut along with the timely processing of the wood after cutting as also mentioned.

Know the limits of your woodland's landscape and its ecosystem. Plan the timing of your harvest for the least impact on the ecosystem and to best meet your management objectives with least impact and cost.

The least favorable time to cut is during the spring sap flow season when the residual trees are "tender" and more subject to logging damage and disease transfer from disease transferring insects etc. as mentioned for the oak wilt.
~Ron

bighoss550

QuoteWhen sap strarts to run in a maple won't this cause more sap in the wood . ???

sap in sugar maples runs all year(except when frozen), but the spring sap has a much higher sugar content, thats why we tap em in the spring:)

Thank You Sponsors!