iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln recommendations

Started by Tucknj, April 07, 2016, 07:43:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tucknj

I just started cutting more frequently last year with my 825 lucas.  I cut about 6000 bd ft 4/4 and about 100 large slabs.  This year I have cut 70 slabs and roughly 1400 bd ft 4/4.  I cut at most 16 hrs a week when the weather cooperates.  I get most of my logs.from tree service or trees I drop myself.  Usually 6-12 ft at most occasionally a 14 ft.  Most kilns in the area won't touch slabs only one that will only dries in the winter. I am looking for kiln recommendations also size recommendations.  I plan on doing mostly slabs.  I have looked at the VT solar, nyle dh, and sauno.  I have very limited knowledge in kiln operation but would be very interested in a course etc if anyone knows of one in Michigan.  Thanks

Tucknj

I forgot to add my property is 12 acres of open field.  I have a outdoor wood boiler for my house and a three bay garage that is about a 100-150 yards away from the house.  So possible of using a bay for kiln? Heating solar kiln with wood stove?  I also forgot I am mostly cutting ash, oak, and walnut slabs and 4/4 and will probably do maple.  I have cut pine but I haven't done a lot of it.

WDH

The Nyle DH units are easy to control and do a good job.  Thick slabs are tricky to dry. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thechknhwk

Welcome to the forum.  You're no too far away.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Due to cold weather and low sun angles in MI during much of the year, solar does Not seem attractive.

DH is an good choice with plenty of people not too far away (miles or Internet) that can help with day to day problems, questions, etc.  Plus, the equipment is very well tested already, so you will not be testing for a new company or new piece of equipment.

One other option is to contract with someone to do your drying...no capital cost...but close contact will be needed to assure high quality.

In terms of drying thick slabs, I believe that vacuum drying (moderator of this forum) offers an excellent option, but the high capital cost means you have to keep the kiln full and running.  You do not seem to have the volume of slabs to do this, so this option is not for you currently.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

One small correction, Gene. You don't have to keep a vacuum kiln running to make money drying slabs. The trick is selling them. If you could sell all that a vacuum kiln can dry, payback would be two or three months. Honestly! Looking at it another way, you would only need to run a week a month and still make lots of money. I did an analysis one time for a news letter. I found a Soft Maple slab on the internet. It was 2.81" thick and using their price, one of our kilns could gross $47,970 per LOAD. And this is from a kiln that cost $159,000. Another slab on the internet was cherry 2.68" thick. With the internet price, the gross per LOAD was $88,200. Payback in two months. And these are sterile slabs at 7% and free of checks. Not the junk on the Internet.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Den Socling

If I was not so old and I was set up to cut and sell slabs, that is what I might do for a living. There seems to be more money in slabs than vacuum kilns.

thechknhwk

I'm young enough Den, you set me up with a kiln and I'll cut you in at 50% until the kiln is paid for twice ;D ;D ;D :D

Den Socling

That would be basically my company providing a lease and I have thought about that. The problem is that I would say "yes" to everybody. And there are a few bums out there. It's much safer for me to send potential customers to the women at the leasing  company. But I'm sure that you, chknhwk, would be no risk.

logboy

Quote from: Den Socling on April 09, 2016, 11:52:14 PM
If I was not so old and I was set up to cut and sell slabs, that is what I might do for a living. There seems to be more money in slabs than vacuum kilns.

You're falling into the Internet trap. Just because someone is asking that price doesn't mean they're getting it. I run into it all the time when trying to buy walnut logs. Someone, somewhere on the Internet is selling logs for an insane price so that's what they want me to pay. Sorry, that's not how it works, and I'm not paying you that price.

For the price that some places ask for their slabs I could sell their customers four slabs the exact same size and have them shipped to their front door with money to spare.  I'm constantly amazed at some of the outright garbage for sale at astronomical prices. I see "slabs" for sale at hundreds of dollars that are the exact same as the junk I throw in the burn pile.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Den Socling

I agree, logboy. Some people look at their yard trees and think they have their retirement lined up.  :D Some of the furniture with "character" also leaves me hanging. Who wants to set their drink on a coffee table that has a knot hole big enough to swallow their cup. Don't get me wrong. Some live edge furniture looks great but just because it has "character" doesn't make it a piece of artwork.

Thank You Sponsors!