iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

After Postponing my next big job due to heavy smoke in the area I went back to this local customers site to finish milling his logs.  When I'd first arrived in June the logs were in a location that required me to back the mill down his driveway to them and it was just too steep to mill on so I asked that he move them.  I did mill one log for him that day in an attempt to make it work but decided it would be better to move the logs 90 degrees and park the mill below them (as seen here) but at the time no equipment to move the logs and my shoulder was injured so I wasn't going to.  Didn't charge him that day as I couldn't do the work.

This time though, we could make it work.  It was 100F out and I was sucking down the water but we were in the shade so all was well :)

Got through 4 logs in two hours which included off-bearing the heavier stuff with the customer and using my truck to move some logs around for him...then it happened!  Rolling that bent knotted bugger right there to the mill.  I was on the downhill side and the darn thing belly-flopped off the big knot right onto me left big toe and next toe!  1500+ lb log using my foot as a cushion between it and the concrete and me not wearing steel toes.  Ya, it hurt.  I danced around a bit, tried to walk it off, felt sick etc, darn near passed out.  Had him turn the hose on and sprayed my head off with cold water which helped but in the end I had to go relax in the shade on the grass until the body relaxed from the shock of the smash and heat.

He decided he didn't need that log milled up and helped me pack up.  Jobs done and so's my left big toe.  Nail is toast, lots of blood but it looks like it's not as bad as it felt.  The boots must have helped save it a little anyway.

Now to check it out to see if a doc visit is in order (I think so) and I hate those things (docs and hospitals etc)....but, gotta take care of the foot and probably go get some steel toes too I'm thinking.  *DanG that hurt!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Magicman

It's good to see you come up for air Erik but DanG, even the thought hurts!!   :-\

Please remember guys, proper safety equipment is for your safety.  Eye, hearing, respiratory, gloves, & boots.  Never leave home without them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Gloves, eye and ear protection I always have on (ears only when the mill is running) but my dumb jarhead butt didn't think it needed steel toe boots.

Sure do now.  Made it through the night sleeping on my back, foot elevated and actually slept about 6 1/2hrs but walking and sitting cause the toe to swell and hurt.  Going to have to have it checked out.  Can't stitch it where it's cut behind the nail and that worries me a little so figure better let a doc check it out.  Probably xray too 'cause it got squashed pretty good.

Might be a while before I can get it in a boot though.  Going to have to put off my next customer AGAIN unless he can do all the heavy lifting.

Magicman

My comment was not to say "I told you so" but was directed to other sawyers reading this.  We all learn from other people's experiences.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

No worries MM :)  I knew that.  Just had to respond anyway ;)

Redressed the wound this morning.  Doesn't look too bad.  Nail is a gonner but no major swelling or bruising.  I might have gotten lucky.

DPatton

Ohhhhh.......Ouch! That just makes me cringe. Hope your back on both feet soon.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

grouch

That hurts just reading about it.

I don't like having to go to a doctor or hospital*, either, but I'd have that checked out.

Time may be 'of the essence' for such an injury.

*(Last time I went to a doctor's office the nurse with a clipboard asked where I'd been getting "medical attention". Told her whatever was on her clipboard was all there was. She lifted 1 page and said, "You don't get sick much, do you?" More about wasting lots of time sitting there.)
Find something to do that interests you.

OlJarhead

Decided to have it checked out.  My no skyrockets in hospitals

slider

Erik i bought my first pair of steel toe boots 6 months ago because of the same thing ,they are a bit heavy but my toes are happy.As to your comment on the heat ,same here all summer. Come on fall.
al glenn

Ianab

I wear some lightweight steel cap "hiking boots" when working. They aren't much heavier than sneakers but have a lot more protection for your toes.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thechknhwk

Red Wings king toe is all I wear.  They have a carbon fiber safety toe box that is light and roomy.  If you have a problem with cold feet in the winter they don't seem to make your feet cold like a steel toed boot.

I don't ever run the mill without safety toe boots since I like to use my foot as a log chock when I'm trying to get the logs to transition onto the loading arm.

thecfarm

Good luck to ya. A smashed bone is never to play with. Get it fixed right and it will be much better for years to come.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Eric,

I truly feel for you! When I first got my mill I took it up to my son's place and we were carrying a small oak log about 10-12 inches dia and 7-8 feet long and dropped it on my left toe. Turned black and I lost the nail. A week later I was up there loading the mill and moving it around to hook to my truck and he dropped a landing gear on the same toe.

TSC makes a nice 9" steel toed boot called their Logger which I wear now. Hope everything heals well and soon. You will remember for a long time - every time you bump that toe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I learned my lesson the hard, hard way  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SlowJoeCrow

As already suggested, I would also suggest looking at a composite safety toe instead of a steel toe boot.  Much more comfortable, lighter, and warmer in the cold weather.

OlJarhead

Well, no busted toe, missing toenail or tore up shoulder will hold this jarhead down for long ;)  I headed west (young man) to Wenatchee yesterday with milling on my mind ;)

Arrived to find not many logs that were 'mill logs' frankly and the two day job I was expecting was clearly only going to be a one day deal...a short day at that ;)

After explaining to the customer the process, what I needed and how things would go, and that there really wasn't two days worth of milling to do but I'd get all he had done for him either way, I got to milling.

Customer wanted a LOT of beams...but didn't have a lot of logs.  He also wanted all beams FOHC which is no problem, as long as the logs are big enough to make the beams with no heart.  I got busy though and managed to make him 5 6x8's, one 5x8, and 6 6x6's plus a lot of full dimension 2x4's and 2x6's and a couple dozen 1x`10's (16 footers) with what he had.  Since he wanted a lot more, and has the trees to do it, I suspect I'll be back :)

His helper got better and better and by the end of the day I was milling 24" 16 foot pines into 1x's in 40 minutes or so :)

Magicman

It's good to see you back "up and at um".   8)

Texted or emailed pictures sometime are helpful.   ;D

sealark37

Most Marines that I know are walking wounded.  You certainly saw in some beautiful places.  I enjoy following your jobs.   Regards, Clark

grouch

Good to see you back!

Are you gonna just leave us wondering about that smashed toe? (You don't have to go so far as a Magicman gruesome photo, but what'd the doc say?)
Find something to do that interests you.

rjwoelk

Customer wanted a LOT of beams...but didn't have a lot of logs.  He also wanted all beams FOHC which is no problem, as long as the logs are big enough to make the beams with no heart.
:D  Need a log streacher and expander.
Keep up the good work.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

OlJarhead

Walking wounded LOL you got that right!   :D ;D

Toe is cracked across the bone but not completed broken (unless I broke it the rest of the way when I later kicked a bar stool (at home), toenail has been removed and next two over is just bruised.  Pretty lucky I suppose but I don't heal like I used to! lol  Right shoulder is now worse than it was before due to wrenching to log off my foot I suspect.

But it won't stop me ;)

OlJarhead

Looks like another two job in the works in a couple weeks :)  Still healing from the injury (shoulder is pretty sore from wrenching the log off my foot -- I guess) but confident I can get serious again.  It's been a slow summer this year due to injuries but I've passed 91,000bf on this mill :D

Peter Drouin

91,000 bf :o  Good for you.  8) 8) 8) 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

92579 actually :)  But I do realize some would do that in a year or less rather than ~18 months :)

WV Sawmiller

Maybe so but many more take many years if ever to reach that. Very well done. Watch the sore hoof and keep on keeping us posted.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!