iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Got those 19 logs done today :)  Rain and wind couldn't stop me ;) nor a cold.

Now on to another small job (8 logs) on Monday then off to tackle about a third of the big pile of logs after that :)
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

fishpharmer

Very nice truck!  Congrats on your success in the milling business!
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Darrel

The cold and wind can be tolerated if on is dressed for it. Good to see you back at it!
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Gearbox

Keep making boards and payments . That 6.4 will haul your camper and pull your mill . With that much power you can buy a fifth wheel and pull the mill off the back bumper . I have seen people pull a car on a dolly behind a fifth wheel try to back that one up . Just kidding  Nice truck .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

OlJarhead

No thanks backing that up!  LOL Just backing the mill with this bigger truck is a bit of a trick.  I could back it into anywhere with the old one but I find this longer truck with poorer turn radius makes it a challenge to turn around in tight places (like a dead end 2 lane yesterday).....but it sure pulls the mill nicely :)  Didn't get the mileage I was hoping for but didn't buy the truck for mileage either ;)....I got 10.6mpg pulling the mill 107 miles to a higher elevation (which usually means I get better mileage coming back so overall should be decent but I was heading into the wind with 45mph gusts coming home! :o :o).....
8.8 heading into the wind on the way home.

I've gotten 20+ on the highway though so I know the truck can do it but boy the wind can change that!  I went from 20 down to 12 on the same road, same speed (unloaded and no tow) just from wind recently.

Magicman

I had to get a receiver hitch extension in order to pull a utility trailer with my truck camper on the truck.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Darrel

If I did that with my current 5th wheel, the total length would be just over 72'.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2017, 09:42:06 AM
I had to get a receiver hitch extension in order to pull a utility trailer with my truck camper on the truck.

Saw some of those with baskets on them and was thinking that would be the way to go.  I could then put my fuel cans on the basket with water etc and a second basket on the mill for saws etc.  This is my biggest issue with hauling a camper to the mill site:  where to keep all the mill stuff that wouldn't do well inside a nice camper like gasoline, oil, chainsaws, bands etc.

But I'll figure it out ;)

I'm off to mill three large logs (30" I'm told) tomorrow for trailer decking and dump truck sides.  Should be fun

Gearbox

Be careful with the extended basket . They may not be rated for the hitch weight of your mill . Your water in your camper will be useable in the mill . Think about a box that clamps to the rail ahead or behind the saw head mat be 2 pins to hold it on .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Magicman

Yup, I would have a removable basket/box mounted just behind the hydraulic pump box.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

I have wondered about pulling the mill behind the fifth wheel but have not tried it yet. I pull my little fishing boat that way all the time. I think I would have to rewire the trailer connection on the back of the trailer to the regular round connector so id have brakes back there and add a second brake controler in the cab for the mill.

Any ideas or experience out there?
Probably need to check if there is a restriction on the weight/length of the second trailer.   
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Kbeitz

The law wont let us do that here in Pa.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OlJarhead

1636 bf of 2x12's and 3 1/2 x 14's in just over 4 hours :)  Too bad the rest of the logs were too badly checked and the hearts had seperated.  Customer decided they'd make good firewood.

They were very happy and told me the cost of buying 4x14's ran them around 50c or more per bf vs my cutting them for them at around .25c :) 

4x4American

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 20, 2017, 05:40:34 PM

But they'll let you raid a guys property and steal his stuff from him...

It don't make sense!
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Quote from: 4x4American on March 20, 2017, 10:02:19 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on March 20, 2017, 05:40:34 PM

But they'll let you raid a guys property and steal his stuff from him...

It don't make sense!

The clean up was appointed by a court judge. I was just one of the hired clean up guys. If i did not do it someone else would of had to do it. Call it what you want.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

fishfighter

Quote from: Magicman on March 19, 2017, 09:42:06 AM

I had to do the same towing with my truck camper in the bed.

4x4American

Easy now I'm not questioning you I'm questioning the govt
Boy, back in my day..

Kbeitz

Quote from: 4x4American on March 21, 2017, 06:05:09 AM
Easy now I'm not questioning you I'm questioning the govt

Then I agree with 100%. but it wasn't the govt but the township.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OlJarhead

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 20, 2017, 09:15:37 PM

1636 bf of 2x12's and 3 1/2 x 14's in just over 4 hours :)  Too bad the rest of the logs were too badly checked and the hearts had seperated.  Customer decided they'd make good firewood.

They were very happy and told me the cost of buying 4x14's ran them around 50c or more per bf vs my cutting them for them at around .25c :)

OK tree gurus.  Look at that bark.  Tell me if you think it's Larch or Fir.

My customer swore it was Fir but the bark was redish and heavily grooved.  The wood was white with few knots and very hard.

I've milled a lot of Ponderosa and Doug Fir and only very little Larch which always looked more like Ponderosa for the bark than anything else when it's large like this.  The wood was considerably harder than both Fir and Pine and I'm convinced this was Larch.

Gearbox

Larch Smells kind of sweet when sawed we call it Tamarack . You are right it is hard . Bark is thinner than other pines .

OlJarhead

This bark was very thick and the wood was white.  Maybe it was Red Fir?

Clark

Whoa, let's not use names like that. If you were close to the Cascades then it could be either silver, grand or noble fir (Abies amabilis, grandis or procera). Once on the ground it would be difficult to tell them apart but the white wood is more indicative of fir than pine, larch or doug-fir. None of them have "thick" bark, except for smaller trees, otherwise always thinner than doug-fir and probably closer to the thickness of larch.

Also, I have enjoyed your milling thread quite a bit. It's fun to see how far you've come and what you can do with a simple "hobby".

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

JRWoodchuck

Larch bark is generally thin except around the butt where it can get quite thick. Looking at your photo it doesn't look like larch to me but it's hard to say. Do you see lots of trees in the area without needles at the moment? What elevation are you cutting at? Larch seems to grow in the 4500 to 6000 foot range in my parts.
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

OlJarhead

Clark -- thanks :)

I have Larch (Tamarack) at 3000 feet and see it lower.  I can always tell because the needles turn yellow an fall in the late fall, early winter.

I'm thinking this was Fir, but one I'm not familiar with since I've cut almost exclusively Doug Fir and Ponderosa with a smattering of Walnut and one Cherry.

Also, this was near Chelan on the east side of the state.

Gearbox

After being cut a few days Tamarack gets a white outer ring 1 to 2 inches darker center .

Thank You Sponsors!