iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

I have same issue with pine pitch on mine. I take it off best i can with WD40 and lots of elbow grease. It is bad on bottom where slings off the blade when cutting. I need to try that fluid film.

You're way ahead of me on bf. I think I have 490 hours and a little over 73,000 bf. A little over 148 bf/running hour. I cut a lot of shorter, small diameter hardwood into 4/4. I'm envious of that long straight western softwoods you get. Of course you also have a bigger mill and can make a wider cut than me. I'm thinking that 28" width vs my 23" cut makes a big difference when you can throw 2- 12" wide cants on the mill and really generate some output.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

crowhill

Peanut Butter works great in removing pine pitch from one's hands. Wonder how it'd work on the mill?!!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

GAB

For pine pitch removal I've had good results with dry gas, a rag and elbow grease.
Note: I tried to stay away from the applique.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Kbeitz

Quote from: crowhill on November 26, 2017, 07:14:36 PM
Peanut Butter works great in removing pine pitch from one's hands. Wonder how it'd work on the mill?!!

I bet the squirrels would go nuts for it... It's bad enough the mice like
to stay there.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

crowhill

Keibtz, you clean the peanut off, don't leave it for the mice!
TimberKing B-20, Kubota M-4900 w/FEL with tooth bar, hyd thumb and forks, Farmi winch, 4 chain saws.

Bandmill Bandit

i use plain old unsalted butter. The cheapest i can buy. works the best from all the things i have found and washes off with hot water from pressure sprayer.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

WV Sawmiller

Sorry but I'm not wasting my perfectly good peanut butter getting pitch off the mill! :D

I'll stick with my WD40 and elbow grease till I find something better (and not edible).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Resonator

Peanut butter is one on the best mouse trap baits you can use, I wouldn't put it on any machine in long term storage. IMHO.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

4x4American

I heard mayonaisse works to get pitch off..my momma taught me not to play with my food though :D

I mean, what would you rather have on your sawmill; mayo, butter, peanut butter, salt, pepper, ketchup, hot sauce, or pitch lol
Boy, back in my day..

Crusarius

only thing its missing is the bun :)

Darrel

Quote from: Crusarius on November 28, 2017, 07:10:34 AM
only thing its missing is the bun :)

You could use a 4° blade to slice the bun and just place the bun on a pitchy spot to hold it down so you wouldn't have to worry about squashing it with the clamp. :D
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Chop Shop

Butter works for pitch.

But I always have a can of gas at the mill and its cheaper.

When I saw pine with a circle blade it always smears/builds up behind the sides of the shanks/gullets.    I just scrape it off with a sharp putty knife and wipe the remaining film off with a gas or carb cleaner and a rag.

OlJarhead

Hate to be happy about waiting to do some milling but am kinda relieved my latest customer decided to wait for better weather!   8)

We were seeing snow and ice in the forecast this weekend and I really hate the idea of pulling the mill 150 miles in bad weather so am happy we're going to reschedule for the spring :)  That gives me 3 jobs for the spring now :D  Which I prefer since it sets up the new milling season nicely :)

How many of you pull your mills long distances in bad weather?  I've done it but cringe when I do as I'd hate to wreck my LT40 for a $1000 job!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Crusarius

I can't imagine what the salt would do to it after 1 trip. Do they use salt or corrosive road crap in WA?

Kbeitz

Another thing slipping and falling on the ice is the last thing you want to do right now.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I have a set of kahtoola microspikes that prevents that. Worth every penny.

paul case

A little sawdust on that ice and you wont slip on it. Melts faster too.
Even better solution is wait and saw it later.
PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

OlJarhead

It's been a while!  But spring is pretty much here now to stay (should be 61F today and was 59F yesterday) which means I'm getting ready to start milling again. 

First stop of the season was to this place 15 miles from my home (which is a rarity for me).  He has all this poplar that he felled last August and though it's pretty badly checked on the ends, peeling the bark shows it's still wet otherwise.  I advised to wack the ends off the logs and see what they looked like a couple feet down.  If good, end seal them and we'll take a look at what's inside after we finish the other logs he has.

As you can see, there is some bad checks here.

However, he had 20 Ponderosa pine logs decked up that looked pretty decent though stained, and he had some locust too which might pan out for him.  One large locust he plans to fall and finally a bunch of small apple logs with some in the mix that might be worth cracking open.

So, later in the month, once he's decked all the best logs up for me, I'll head just a few miles away to start this years milling :) 

I then have about a half dozen customers lining up to have me out soon so I might be busy, assuming the neck injury doesn't slow me up too much.  I'm still experiencing referral pain in the right shoulder so hoping to take it easier this year...like maybe not milling every weekend ;)

Gotta do some camping too :)

OH and this customer?  He's a commercial bee keeper so we might strike up a deal to have him put a hive on our forest property on shares.  Don't know how much shares we'd get, don't really care.  If we get some honey out of the deal that would be perfect:)  Doesn't even need to be a lot.  Just think it would be cool and we could share with the kids :)

Magicman

It's good to see you finally come up for air Erik.  Looks like good sawing ahead.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Erik,

Glad to see your hibernation out there is over for the season. Keep us posted. Good luck with the bee project. Sounds like a win-win most any way you work that short of him parking them next to the mill.
Howard Green

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

Thanks guys.  Got a 2.25mile walk in today and as long as I don't keep my head up too high the pain in my shoulder isn't there.  Funny that.  But I get back to walking in the nice weather as it helps a lot when milling all day long!  Next up is back to biking which helps too.

Got the new camper on order and getting tired of waiting for it ;D :snowball: and am just generally ready for spring, milling, fishing and camping!  WhooHoo!

coxy

glad to here your up and running    would like to see pic of the apple wood lumber when you get them sawed 

garre1tt

Eric, Glad to see the bee fellow gave you a call.  When I found out he was in your back yard I told him you are the man for the job.  Seemed like a real nice fellow on the phone and I learned a lot about bee boxes.  Hopefully the fellow from the Tri Cities calls you too.  Be interested in seeing if you would take that job.  Sounds like resawing RF bridge beams.  Think they may be coated in tar.  Sounds messy.
Woodmizer LT 40, 1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, massey ferguson 245 tractor, Stihl 084,066,036,370,290,018
Past owner of WoodBug CSM, Alaskan CSM,1900 Linn Lumber Band mill, Lucus 6-18 Stihl 064, Stihl 084

OlJarhead

Quote from: garre1tt on March 22, 2018, 01:46:07 PM
Eric, Glad to see the bee fellow gave you a call.  When I found out he was in your back yard I told him you are the man for the job.  Seemed like a real nice fellow on the phone and I learned a lot about bee boxes.  Hopefully the fellow from the Tri Cities calls you too.  Be interested in seeing if you would take that job.  Sounds like resawing RF bridge beams.  Think they may be coated in tar.  Sounds messy.
So you're the one!  Much thanks my friend.  I am always trying to pawn off, er I mean 'forward' leads that are up in northern Idaho when it starts pushing 150+miles from me.  Not that i won't travel, as I often do 100-150 miles for a job, but I like to get someone more local, or at least closer the chance if I can.  Specially when it's 50+ miles north of your area and I'll spend a day trying to get there before ever loading a log.  So, thanks :)  I'll remember it.
Haven't heard from the guy in the TC's yet.  Have had the odd customer down there but there is a couple gents down there with mills.  One of our members here has an LT15 that he uses and another has an LT40.  They are both stationary but I've sent work there way when it's small jobs or the customer has no location to mill onsite.
Spent the morning in Chelan yesterday looking over a bunch of logs (will post pics soon) for a 3 day job I have in the works, and have a 1 or 2 day gig in Manson to try to work in with the Chelan job (perhaps) and tomorrow I move the mill 15 miles south of me for the bee guy.  That will be my first of the year.
I am considering bringing on a young lad to train to be a professional off-bearer and log roller as I'm having trouble with my left shoulder now (no idea why) and of course, the disc problem in my neck but I will see how this job goes.  I figure I'm going to have to learn to operate the mill ONLY moving forward but that's HARD for this old jarhead ;)

Thank You Sponsors!