iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

Nice job, Who is that pretty girl with you? ;)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

fishfighter

You really need a set of these before you bust your butt. You can find them cheaper. ;D Just a matter of time before that step ladder will flip. Don't ask me how I know. :D Once installed, you can remove the steps by pulling pins that take a second and they fold up and don't take up much space.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7803-8000.html?feed=npn&gclid=CN_ZiYji3dQCFZi2wAod-lQOxA

slider

I hope your shoulder gets better. Mine flares up every 2 to 3 years.They give me a shot and then i do the stretches ,therapy at home and i am good to go.
al glenn

OlJarhead

Quote from: fishfighter on June 27, 2017, 06:06:29 AM
You really need a set of these before you bust your butt. You can find them cheaper. ;D Just a matter of time before that step ladder will flip. Don't ask me how I know. :D Once installed, you can remove the steps by pulling pins that take a second and they fold up and don't take up much space.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7803-8000.html?feed=npn&gclid=CN_ZiYji3dQCFZi2wAod-lQOxA
Others suggested those too so I just ordered a set on amazon.  Thanks!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 27, 2017, 05:30:49 AM
Nice job, Who is that pretty girl with you? ;)

My beautiful wife :)  She's the one that lets me do all the milling :)

Crusarius

If she is anything like mine, she just likes the quiet time without you :)

OlJarhead

Got back to milling this weekend but may need more time as the shoulder is pretty sore today and I didn't do much other than run the mill (and of course prep it for travel and set up etc).  But we will see.

I got the call to come out and mill some beams for the lumber yard.  Logs were pretty dry and checked but I agreed to see what we could get out of them and as this was my 6th visit to this customer I was happy to see if we could make it work.  Turned out some nice beams from those logs though!

All the beams were going to the local lumber yard and they said they were already sold to a customer in Seattle (250 or more miles away) but this GluLam was ordered by a customer (of the Lumber Yard) because they wanted stair treads made out of it so they brought it in and sent it off to have me mill it down into 7/8" 'boards'....of course I could only get two out of it with a 3rd at 1" but I told him they could plane that last one -- they said they only needed two but I hate waste!

This time of year it gets HOT in the Okanogan and Mid Columbia region and this was no acception as temps neared 90F.  I took breaks as often as possible and drank a half gallon of water by noon!

They wanted some 21 foot beams so we made them :)

Customer ran over his chainsaw!!!  OOps.  Ahhh well, easy come easy go, he made enough profit off this order to buy a new one ;)

paul case

It is good to see you back at it some. Be careful not to undo the healing up by hitting it too hard on the start.

That run over saw is like a bad dream. When I was logging I would never set the saw on the ground and leave it. A friend of mine told me he would have to run over my tractor to get my saw if I keep putting it up there.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Kbeitz

I made a long narrow box that bolts on each of my tractors that the blade of the chainsaw
slides into. It's an easy way to keep the saw with you on the tractor.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OlJarhead

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

After years of reading and learning here I have successfully built a side business (as is obvious in this thread) remote milling for people but this year has, despite my shoulder injury, started and continues to, be a better year than last.  What's even better is that after 6, yes SIX, visits to one customer who now has a lumber yard calling him to buy more lumber!  In fact, he now has an order of 5600 board feet of 3x10's to deliver as soon as he can get the logs and have me come out and mill it for him :D  8) 8) 8)

Not sure what my total with him this year is since I'm not in the office where I can look it up but it has to be nearing 40,000 board feet so far and it doesn't look like it will get any slower if he keeps bringing in logs.  Just last weekend I milled for just over 5 hrs to produce a bunch of beams for the lumber yard and they still want 30mbf of 1x12's if we can get the logs to mill it.

if it were not for all the great folks on this forum encouraging me and instructing me in many ways, even mentoring, I would not be where I am today :D  I've surpassed my minimum gross for the year already and look to add another 50% on top of that or more as the year progresses :D

So thanks!  I really do appreciate all the feedback and encouragement.
Erik

FloridaMike

Mike

slider

Hat's off to you.Great thread. I sure get your point on the hot weather.I have been sawing here in south ga on the river swamp for a month and a half and it has been some kinda hot.
al glenn

Kbeitz

Quote from: slider on July 08, 2017, 03:44:45 PM
Hat's off to you.Great thread. I sure get your point on the hot weather.I have been sawing here in south ga on the river swamp for a month and a half and it has been some kinda hot.

Around the Altamaha river ?
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

thecfarm

You've done good.
Chainsaw holder.

If I start to get on my tractor and no saw,I go looking for it. Been a few times when I have put it behind a tree,but only a few times. I still like it where I can see it. On the right side is a place for bar and chain oil and those holes in the floorboards are a great place for a wrench,I have one on each side of the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OlJarhead

And he's back :) at least for a day

Stayed overnight at a friends 'hosting' spot at Early Winters Campground in Mazama on Friday night.  Was nice to visit with them for a few hours.

Then headed off to a customers location where I had to sneak the mill in to where their logs were.

Got the mill in and milled up over 1500bf of pine for various projects they had in mind :)  Lot of log moving and chainsaw work but that's ok, I'm hourly :)

Shoulder did ok and I headed home afterword.

Big fire in the Methow (pronounced Mett-How) so had to go up over Loup Loup Pass instead and it is still down to one lane where a big washout took out the highway this spring.  They have a LONG way to go before it's wide enough for two lanes me thinks ;)  Can't see well in that pic but it goes down for a couple hundred feet or more and is pretty much a slide to the bottom...will take a LOAD of fill to build it up but I'm no road engineer.

:)

Felt good to be back earning on the mill again. 

Darrel

Good to see you back! Glad that the shoulder did ok.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Thanks :)  It isn't 100% yet but hoping to continue to see it heal and mill a little less this summer moving forward.  Trying to restrict my milling to only a couple weekends a month in the summer.

Over 90,000bf on the new mill now too :)

paul case

Ya know someone we all know and love does NO offbearing on custom jobs, just requires the owner to provide help. That would spoil me but may be a viable option for you and your banged up shoulder.

However it sounds like you are progressing very well. Keep it up!

PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

slider

Sorry Kbeitz i missed your question.I was sawing on the Satilla river down in Camdin county but my wife has a log home about 5 miles from the Altamaha river in Glynn county.
al glenn

OlJarhead

Yup and even my wife knows he does!  But I'm younger and dummer ;)

Actually, it isn't too bad and I try to convince them they need to provide the bulk of the labor etc but I'm not yet well enough established to do that.

paul case

Someone told me ''If you are gonna be dumb you better be tough.

PC
pc

Kbeitz

Quote from: slider on July 18, 2017, 07:28:10 AM
Sorry Kbeitz i missed your question.I was sawing on the Satilla river down in Camdin county but my wife has a log home about 5 miles from the Altamaha river in Glynn county.

I spent some time on the Altamaha in wayne county.
I lived in Jesup for 5 years.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kbeitz

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ga Mtn Man

Finally got caught up on this epic thread...5 pages worth.  Eric, I'm exhausted just reading about what you've been up to.smiley_sweat_drop  Seems like you've packed several years worth of experience into one very busy year.  Good for you and take it easy in the heat.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Thank You Sponsors!