iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OldJarheads Milling Thread...

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

If you can cut it with no problem I sure would. I would not want to
worry about catching it on a low hanging tree or whatever.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OlJarhead

I wouldn't worry.  It's basically the same as I already had but made out of steel instead.  Very strong and sets the umbrella back over me instead of in front of me.  I take the umbrella down when moving.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Gearbox

Sometimes the checkbook just works good as a wrench . Glad you got it fixed .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

OlJarhead

Quote from: Gearbox on March 03, 2017, 06:17:09 PM
Sometimes the checkbook just works good as a wrench . Glad you got it fixed .

Ahhh yes...or better at times.  In this case it gave me time to do something else and thankfully it's 'operating expenses' which don't hurt since I have a full time job on the side ;)

4x4American

I had the same thing happen the other day.  I was greasing the claw turner fittings where it connects and when I pulled my grease gun off and tried to put it on the next one it wouldn't go on...then I remembered WM uses press in fittings and the other one prolly stuck in gun.  So instead of trying to fight the grease fitting out of the gun, just stick the gun with grease fitting back in the hole with a good push and twist the grease gun off.  Worked good for me, keep that in your bag of tricks
Boy, back in my day..

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 03, 2017, 09:15:25 AM

I think I am going to suggest he pulls out the logs with sweep and any oversized logs and set them aside in one deck for consideration.  Then have all of the good saw logs in the main deck.  I can mill the best up until either we get what he needs out of them, or we run out of logs, then we can look at the oversized stuff and work on that leaving the logs with sweep until the end where he can decide if he wants to mill them or cut them into firewood (which he suggested on the big stuff).

My thought is that I may get all he needs in a hurry because this is all oversized logs from the plywood mill which means they are all at least 24" at the butt end (they can't mount them on the big lathes that peel the logs if they are over 24" but I think that's the butt end of an 18 footer vs the small end).

And as mentioned they are all 18' long he tells me.  So we're talking a LOT of 400-500bf logs here :D

Those are decks of log that I drool over. I am very tempted to come help you! LOL
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OlJarhead

I've been looking at those logs and since he has some VERY big ones I've been wondering if it's time to get the CSM and slabber I've been thinking about.  Of course that means another saw too in the 100+ cc range to handle a big bar but with logs that span 48" I'm thinking I might need to slab them down a bit before trying to get them on the mill.
Though I suppose I could take a crack at them free hand to get them down to something closer to what I need in order to finish them off on the mill.

But my plan is to have him set those aside.

I also hope to get everything he needs milled in 9 days or less....

Bandmill Bandit

Second log up the tree was about 35 inchs. The butt log had a good bell (about 42") for the first foot but I just notched it get trough.

This is 3rd log up that tree.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

OlJarhead

This thing was 45" across the butt.....and I almost could not get it onto the mill.

Took a while to get this one on but had to pull it off with a trackhoe, roll it on the ground, slab off some horns and put it back on the mill.

Finally with a manageable log I was able to start whittling away at it.  This monster took me 6 hours to complete from start (on the ground) to last piece off the mill.  However I ran into 7 nails throughout the course of the day and had to do a LOT of chainsaw work to notch out the log to get the guides past....so ya, done that :D

Brucer

One of my customers wanted some 4x8 edge grain, FOHC timbers. I suggested he buy his own over-size logs from my supplier and have them shipped on my next truckload. The guy ended up buying 8 pieces 17' long with a maximum diameter of 48".

He got his buddy to split the biggest ones lengthwise freehand using a chainsaw with a 30" bar. The buddy wedged the log, used a level to mark a line across the centre at each end, and then stretched a chalk line from end to end right where the level marks hit the edge of the log. Then he had me snap the chalk line, pulling it about 12" away from the log, and making sure it was level.

With a mark down each side of the log he was able to split the log from end to end on either side -- the two cut lines met within 3/8" of each other. His special trick was to start the cut while one of us eyeballed the bar and the level line across the end of the log. With a bit of direction he got the cut started absolutely level across the log.

I was able to stack a half log upright on the mill, flat side against the side stops. I would saw down from the top, cutting a few inches off, and then dropping down 6" or 8". Then take the cant off the mill, flip it end-to-end, and repeat from the other side. That left me with a couple of 8" wide cants off the sides for sawing edge grain material, plus a 24" cant with a curved top and a chainsawn face on the bottom. I could break this down on the mill, making FOHC edge grain cants, or in some cases 3" x 24" slabs.

Slow work, but we got some amazing cants out of it and very little waste. The trick was to plan the breakdown of the log ahead of time, step-by-step.

It's worth trying to split the log without a chainsaw mill and a super long bar.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 04, 2017, 11:41:47 AM
I've been looking at those logs and since he has some VERY big ones I've been wondering if it's time to get the CSM and slabber I've been thinking about.  Of course that means another saw too in the 100+ cc range to handle a big bar but with logs that span 48" I'm thinking I might need to slab them down a bit before trying to get them on the mill.
What about a pair of sub-100cc heads on one bar?  If you had a pair of 50 or 60cc heads, they would be useful for other operations as well.  That would take care of the chain oiling issues as well.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

paul case

I am not bragging since I have no credible attributes of my own, only ones that others have taught me, I have split 36''x10' Oak logs with my 660 Stihl and 36'' bar freehand and only wasted 1 board from the middle. The trick is to not ever let the bar get perpendicular to the log, but rather go at an angle so that the length of your bar keeps it going straight in the cut. I picked that up by seeing pictures of logs that Customsawyer  split with chainsaw. I like to cut the log with the bar parallel to the ground and the handle hits my leg at the same spot all the way through.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

OlJarhead

For me I think even just a slabber and 2x6 would do the trick.  Slap the 2x6 down on the log, wedge it up and screw it down so it's parallel to the deck then take the 576xp and run down the length taking off a slab....might work.

Otherwise an Alaskan mill and the 576xp to take off about 4 to 6 inches for each side of the log.  Would drop it from 48" down to 36-40" which should be manageable specially since it wouldn't be a cant yet so you could rotate up to the wane, cut that off and then have a face to work from.

Thoughts?

Darrel

Yes, that is n option, but I'm thinking that you'll get less waste if you have an efficient way to split the log down the middle or close to it if you want to avoid splitting the pith.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

OlJarhead

Hadn't really considered splitting it down the middle.  Was more thinking of just taking enough of the outside edge to allow me to work it on the mill.

Magicman

Each log needs to be looked at as an individual before determining where/how to split it.  Know what your targeted lumber will be and then measure and know where the sawmill blade will be when you load it up for sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

This customer (with the bigger logs) is smart ;) and wants me running the mill and not the chainsaw :)  So he plans to look closer at those logs and if he decides to mill them he'll whittle them down a little after we discuss it.  He's decided to break up the log deck into manageable sections and wants to start with a 3 day test run (he works 4 tens and is off Fri-Sun weekly).  Then will decide after that what he wants to do and I'm ok with that as it allows me to take just one day off my other job to do his milling and then, provided he's happy etc, I can come back in a couple/few weeks to do more.

As it is though, I have 4 jobs booked through the 3rd of April and a couple more serious inquiries that look good for the summer.  It appears this year will at least be as good as last and with luck a little better since I'll start milling a little earlier :)

If all goes well the mill will be paid off by the end of the month putting it just a tick over a year :D   8) and then I'm buying the F350 (Found a 2010 I like and I've read that's a good year for them) and hopefully soon after the camper.  Then I'm set and won't have to commute so much or hotel it (which is always a sticking point with customers)

OlJarhead

Finally settled on a truck :)
2010 Ford F350 Super Crew 4x4 with 32000 miles on it for $33800

Basically a new truck and everything I read was that the 2008-2010 6.4's were good trucks and not plagued with the problems of the older 6.0's and early 6.4's.  Just in case got the warranty extended for 60k miles and a pretty decent price (hate those things but the price was right and it gives some piece of mind).

Can't wait to see how it does towing the mill!  (oh and the mill will be paid off VERY shortly) :D

Magicman

That is a nice looking ride and I'm sure that it will serve you well.   I am loving watching your plans come together.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OlJarhead

Thanks MM.  And THANKS!  Couldn't do it without you and the others here on the forum who provide advice and knowledge freely.

Weekend_Sawyer

Good looking truck!

My 06 6.0 was a great truck till the head gaskets blew at around 95,000 miles. Cost more to fix than the truck was worth so away it went.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bandmill Bandit

Good to hear on the mill Debt pay down. I know how it feels to pay it off in about half of the time that it was written up for and that is a good feeling.

You wont even feel the mill behind that truck. Just need a camper now!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on March 10, 2017, 08:51:06 AM
Good looking truck!

My 06 6.0 was a great truck till the head gaskets blew at around 95,000 miles. Cost more to fix than the truck was worth so away it went.

Jon

I did a lot of reading before buying this truck and everything I read said stay away from the 6.0 unless you were willing to do the ERG delete, replace the head bolts and head gasket and the cooler.  Though I read the later ones were better than the early ones.  Seemed like the 2010 was a good year for the 6.4 and I decided to get the 60k warranty with this one just in case.

Darrel

I'm thinking and hoping that you won't be needing that extra warranty.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

larrydown60

Wow nice set of wheels looks good. Glad to see hard work pays off.

Thank You Sponsors!