iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My friend

Started by CCC4, April 06, 2016, 02:04:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I have made a great friend! Cutting with this man has really turned out to mean a lot to me. I probably will never cut timber for a 50 year veteran faller again, so honored to have been the one to cut his timber. Just can't say how much these pictures mean to me. Darrel Killian age 72...one hell of a fella, salt of the Earth.

CCC4

Just look at the smile on his face...priceless!!

BargeMonkey

Awesome pictures. Meet alot of good people cutting wood.  :D

RHP Logging

Buckin in the woods

Jim_Rogers

The guy who taught me sawmilling was like that. I would go over to his mill on rainy days and we'd sit by the fire in his woodstove, and chat.

I'd ask him to tell me a story about how they did things in the olden days before chain saws, hydraulics and other fancy modern tools.

How they'd cut down a tree and buck it up and such.

Those stories are some of the best times I had with him.

Jim Rogers

PS. So, ask him to tell you some stories about how he did it when he was young.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

You can't lose having those older friends. I cherish mine.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodhauler

Alot of my closer friends are older then me by 20 years or so. Many old wood cutters and truckers. Some have left this earth and I still think and talk about them daily.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

shortlogger

After my grandpa got too old to work much, he would come out to the woods with me and watch me cut and run the measuring stick for me and help load the truck for a while in the mornings. And it was always great to see him watching with a satisfied look on his face knowing he had passed on the same farmer/logger lifestyle to me that he lived his whole life .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

OH logger

I have an real OLD friend that a I talk to almost daily. hes a logger to and loves it as much as I do. ok maybe hes not that old...only 68 but he does love cutting as much as I do and hes darn good at it. (hes on this forum and I like to rib him about bein old :D) lots of knowledge and wisdom and enthusiasm there. hell of a freind ;)
john

Frickman

Whoever cut that tree knows their stuff. Good job. I am out of the industry now, but seeing that picture makes me smell the red oak sawdust again. I miss it a lot.

Some of the nicest people I've met I met cutting trees. Even green "tree hugger" types. After they see how our forests are managed and the benefits that come with cutting timber they usually come over to our side.

I grew up around, and learned the wood business from both grandpas and their friends. They both had mills, one frick and one farquar. They were good friends too since they were kids. I must miss them because I tell stories about them every day.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Jeff on April 06, 2016, 04:26:26 PM
You can't lose having those older friends. I cherish mine.
+1 when a guy thats been doing this 20 years longer than me speaks, i listen. their experience is priceless.

David-L

Nice pics, stories are for passing down. i bet you he has a few.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

CCC4

It is so true that that there is a wealth of knowledge in the older generation. I was fortunate enough to know a group of Men who were the last from here to venture to the PNW to log and pick apples. Those Men have left us, I was lucky enough to have been able to talk with them for years before they passed. They all loved that I was logging with draft horses at the time. Lots of stories were passed on to me...and with horse logging, I was able to share some too! LOL!

Frickman, I cut that tree, and thanks!

Jim_Rogers, I too was a sawyer for 9 years...I really enjoyed talking to old sawyers about their old belt mills. I learned to saw on one and could relate right to their good times and bad.

I plan on staying in touch with Darrel, this job is local, I'm cut out now but I am gonna stay in touch with him.

Corley5

And we're quickly becoming that older generation ;)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ozarker

I, too, have an older friend whom I cherish, nearly 90, who spent much of his life in the timber. When he started, it was all done with crosscuts, axes, sledges and wedges. They were hacking ties, and hauling stave bolts. Fire and stove wood, of course, too. He used to run a big Mall two-man saw by himself. When falling, he always match cut. I've learned more from him, about a variety of topics, than any other human in my experience. We talk on the phone every night.

Logger RK

Just today I stopped to see a friend of mine. He's in his mid 80's. He used to log winters, in Northern Minnesota spruce swamps, when as he would say,he was a pup. With his Dad & 2 brothers. My Dad was friends with him & I count him as a good friend now. He has many good stories of the Old Days. Said his Dad took a winter or 2 before he'd try running the first chainsaw that the Brothers had bought. He still puts up his own firewood.

timberlinetree

Meetings nice people makes the job more fun. Glad you guys met. Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

pineywoods

Heck, I have a lot of friends who are 80+  ::) Most of them are kinda grumpy, but still the best...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

Quote from: pineywoods on April 07, 2016, 10:03:28 AM
Heck, I have a lot of friends who are 80+  ::) Most of them are kinda grumpy, but still the best...
Yep, and we are getting there, age wise, that is. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

chester_tree _farmah

Very cool. Nice big Ole Oak too. :)
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

jwilly3879

I have a good friend that I have worked with quite a bit. He has turned 80 and still loves cutting and skidding with his 450c, he cuts down and bunches to the trail for his son to pick up with the skidder. Scares me everytime I see him run the saw left handed.

Thank You Sponsors!