iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bearings on a frick carriage

Started by jdw, April 05, 2016, 06:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdw

I found I have a bad bearing on my carriage. I am looking for info on the type of bearings used for the axle. Are they a roller or babbit? I didn't take it apart till I get an idea of where to get new ones. Any info would be appreciated.  ???

Brian_Rhoad

Babbitt and roller bearings were used. The new style had tapered roller bearings in the wheel. The axles didn't turn.

jdw

I'd say mine are babbit I'm pretty sure my axles turn. Any idea where to find them? Or the cost?

Brian_Rhoad

Frick used Babbitt and roller bearings with the axle turning in the bearing. The bearing housings look very similar. I'm not sure if you can see which type you have without removing the bearing housing.

Ron Wenrich

Contact these people:  http://fricksawmills.com/    They have taken over the production of Frick mills and have a large amount of parts, back to mills from the 1920s.  If they don't have it, they probably can tell you where to get it.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

jdw

Ain't looking good I called frick today about the bearings they were supposed to call back after lunch never did. So I called d&d and they said the bearings for the o model are obsolete. I'm gonna call frick back in the morning hope they have better news. :-[

Kbeitz

If they are Babbitt you can make them. I have done it for old Hit and Miss engines.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!