iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

when is the winter logging time?

Started by forester85, April 05, 2016, 01:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forester85

Hi,
I am a grad student and studying about logging activities during winter season. I was wondering when the winter logging starts and ends especially in Canada. Based on that i try to predict logging cost per m3 now and in 50 years because winter is getting shorter. so I need when logging starts (I am assuming mid or end of the november till march) and how long is the spring break. Thanks

grassfed

As a general, rule here in far NE Vermont, I would say Last week in December to the second week in March. This is for working wet, poorly drained, land that generally cannot be worked in the summer unless there is a drought. This date can vary a month on either side but generally I try to start packing skid trails right after Christmas. Summer logging starts around June 1st and that is on drier to avg. ground but that can very from late March on a very dry year late July + or never on a wet year.
Mike

starmac

It varies with the weather, and also the particular location here. One place I haul can typically start in october, possibly even september, while another has to have enough snow to build a road with and cold enough to make the ice bridges, so usually december, they generally go away close to the same time when weather warms.in the spring.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

RHP Logging

From when it gets cold to when it stops being cold. Could be mid-Nov here in SE WI. Could be new years.  I've ran on frost in the ground til mid April here. This year winter ended the first week of march. Depends on a lot.  Break up is even harder to gauge.  Almost no snow this year and no frost should have meant quick dry time, but it keeps raining.  Usually by May warm season logging begins in the hills.
Buckin in the woods

Spartan

Quote from: forester85 on April 05, 2016, 01:06:41 PM
because winter is getting shorter.
smiley_headscratch

Thats a loaded question.  What do you mean by winter?  Snow covering the ground?  sub zero?    At our elevation (7500ft) it can be end of october to sometimes june for snow on the ground.
Usually though, beginning of November to May.  Low lands, much less, last year we really didn't have winter down low, (5000 ft).  The year before that, it was a frozen hell for 5 months. 

too many variables for spring break up around here.  The mountain I am on is a lot of rock.  We don't have a real spring break up.  All the water goes into the ground pretty quick.  And with the wind, it dries the road out pretty quick when the frost comes out.   But then again, I am on private and usually (if you're in the US)a forest service sale around here will shut you down when they start panicking. 3 years ago, they shut us down for well over a month.  We just moved to a private area close by and kept logging.

finding the trail

The "Winter Logging Season"  has as many definitions as this forum has members. Try to be specific to a region.

RHP Logging

I also disagree with winters getting shorter.  This one was.  The last two before that were the coldest and longest in memory.  Several days with more than 20 below the one year. Thats cold for here.
Buckin in the woods

catalina

"Winter getting shorter" Working outside in it sure doesn't seem to be getting shorter.

Spartan

I think they teach whatever the funders want.  I don't trust everything that is taught in schools nowadays anyways.  I have to teach my kids that.  Take it with a grain of salt.

1270d

Winter was over, but 20 inches of snow in the last few days makes me think it's back for a bit.

schmalts

How much snow on the ground sure makes a difference too. Plowing it off helps get frost in the ground on cold days. Like many said, lots of factors

kiko

In the south logging season is year round.  We had frost several times this winter. 

OH logger

Quote from: forester85 on April 05, 2016, 01:06:41 PM
Hi,
I am a grad student and studying about logging activities during winter season. I was wondering when the winter logging starts and ends especially in Canada. Based on that i try to predict logging cost per m3 now and in 50 years because winter is getting shorter. so I need when logging starts (I am assuming mid or end of the november till march) and how long is the spring break. Thanks
this weekend its still goin the way the forecast looks :D
john

Ron Scott

It depends upon if you are going by the Meteorological or Astronomical time definition for the winter season.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter

We usually go by the date of December 21st as the first day of winter, but freezing gound and remaining snow depths of 6-8 inches or more before that date is an "early winter". ;)

~Ron

RHP Logging

19  degrees this morning. Snow tonight and last night.  I wish it would make up its mind.
Buckin in the woods

Thank You Sponsors!