iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Porkupine Damage

Started by gspren, April 03, 2016, 07:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

At our hunting camp in Perry Co.PA the porkies have been chewing our outhouse and a small shed, both sided with T1-11 plywood, after trying several supposed repellents we are sheeting with steel siding. The cabin is Red Wood siding over  50 years old and so far they haven't messed with it. Will they? We didn't have them here until the last few years.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thecfarm

I have heard that about T1-11 too. Those critters can not have any taste buds and how they can survive on that is beyond me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Never saw the damage from them. First one I ever saw was a road kill up in Maine on a trip to Bar Harbor 1.5 years ago. Surprised me how big he was. I imagined them as the size of a raccoon but this one looked more like a beaver. Don't know what it did to the tires of the guy who ran over it.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Both buildings had holes chewed completely through 5/8 T1-11 plus quite a few other areas close to through. The cabin was built in the 50s and I have been going there since the 60s and never saw a porcupine until about 6-7 years ago, we have killed 9 right at the cabin and last week while driving in the gravel road we saw 3 of them.

4x4American

They're all over around here..seen 3 dead on the road this past weekend.  Buckshot seems to work as a repellant
Boy, back in my day..

Magicman

Thankfully that is one pest that we are not "blessed" with.  Anybody want some armadillos or fire ants??   ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Quote from: Magicman on April 03, 2016, 09:58:43 PM
Thankfully that is one pest that we are not "blessed" with.  Anybody want some armadillos or fire ants??   ???

Know both of them very will from my time in southern Georgia. :rifle: arg-smiley smiley_furious

Ron Scott

T1-11 plywood is a favorite with porcupines.  A few porky's will devour it over night. They find the glue in it to be very tasty.
~Ron

JBlain

Greetings fellow Perry Co. PA member. We have a lot of porcupines in western Perry.  My friend harvested one in season last year and barbecued it, not like chicken, very chewy and gamey.  They can do a good bit of damage to things.  They chewed on the bowels of some big 30+ in dbh beech trees last year and also hit my t1-11 on a shed front.  They are getting to be a nuisance.  I will say the predator of them, fishers, are on an upswing.   I have seen several on our ridges over the last few years. 
Josh

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on April 03, 2016, 09:58:43 PM
Lynn,

Ever try mixing up fire ant beds? If close to each other use a long handled shovel and scoop out a big shovel of one bed and throw on the other and vise versa (Do this quick as for some reason this seems to annoy the ants). They get to fighting and kill each other. Come back a few days later and you'll find both beds are deserted. Environmentally safe.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

gspren

Quote from: JBlain on April 03, 2016, 10:57:35 PM
Greetings fellow Perry Co. PA member. We have a lot of porcupines in western Perry.  My friend harvested one in season last year and barbecued it, not like chicken, very chewy and gamey.  They can do a good bit of damage to things.  They chewed on the bowels of some big 30+ in dbh beech trees last year and also hit my t1-11 on a shed front.  They are getting to be a nuisance.  I will say the predator of them, fishers, are on an upswing.   I have seen several on our ridges over the last few years.
Josh, our camp is on Laurel Run Rd, about 8 or 9 miles in from the tavern. Are you anywhere near?

coxy

they say there the only animal you can eat raw and not get any disease from    they are much better raw than cooked not as tuff   that's what happens when you loose a bet  :)

4x4American

You can cook em just how they are too, and just pull off a quill and you've got a porkeypine ka bob
Boy, back in my day..

coxy

thought you were going to say I would have enough porkey picks to get it out of my teeth  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JBlain

Our property is just north of you as the crow flies. We border state forest on Bowers Mountain and our land consists of a few toe slope ridges that border Robinson Road south of Blain PA.   Small world.   We hike at times over the mountain down to Laurel Run.  Cheers
Josh

4x4American

:D

I give you credit for eating one of them tree huggers
Boy, back in my day..

coxy

4x4American  anything is good with enough alcohol  :-X :-X  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Chuck White

In this area, a porcupine is a target!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rooster 58

Porcupines are very destructive, as already mentioned.  They like the "salts" in T-111. They also like to chew on wood with urine splash. A couple years ago, I had my tractor on a logging tract to load unwanted blocks and logs onto my dump trailer for firewood.  One night, a pokie chewed my steering wheel. Thankfully,  they left my hydraulic  hoses alone. Anything you touch with your hands or sweat is at risk. Loggers hate porkies. They also love to chew on aluminum signs, such as used to identify  forest service roads and the like.
   I don't believe  they will bother the redwood siding on the cabin. Redwood seems to resist insects and other bothersome pests

Chuck White

A few years ago we had a porcupine chewing on one of the tractor tires.

Only happened one time, no serious damage, but if we'd have seen him, things would have been a little different!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gspren

While we were at the cabin for our work detail we went to a local tavern to eat and talked to several locals about the porkies, they said we are now getting Fishers in the area and they eat the porkies, I hope their right.

Chuck White

Yes, the Fisher is a good tool for controlling the Porcupine population.

I believe they are the only animal that can successfully take out and devour a porcupine!

sandsawmill14

Quote from: Chuck White on April 11, 2016, 07:14:57 AM
Yes, the Fisher is a good tool for controlling the Porcupine population.

I believe they are the only animal that can successfully take out and devour a porcupine!

i have never seen a fisher or porcupine  ???  are fishers bullet proof or have some kind of armor   ??? :o :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

trapper

Most that I have caught have a face full of Porcupine quills.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

drobertson

Just reading this makes me not like the porky's, damage sounds horrible,, our only really bad pain to deal with are armadillos, they root up were rooting up is not needed,  heard they eat good,(tenderloins) but pretty sure I won't go there, oh yea, these critters have targets on them too,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!