iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

201 TJ winch

Started by mog5858, April 03, 2016, 12:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mog5858

well trying to give my old girl a little more TLC and would like to get the winch to work a little better.  i works right good now free spools nice but slips when in a hard pull i would say over 3000 lb as i can pull more off of the draw bar hitch then i can winch by far. i really don't have and trees that would need more pull but i would like to get it right never know when it will have to pull me out of a somewhere lol. i get 7/16 on move met on the clutch disc when i snap the winch in place on the drum plates. i have made all new fingers as i thought that they maybe wore out but i not so sure now. this is a Braden winch made for TJ casting number is MS15-134 it's a manual engagement to over center the clutch fingers not sure how to go about adjusting it or if it need adjustment as it still snap over good and i could not get it much tighter with out having trouble to snap it over.  are my clutch disk wore out or do you think they are just glade up? can a guy take some sand paper to them to ruff them up a little?

Neilo

I would never sand those discs. They are made from asbestos.

They could be oily or dirty, or too thin and springs or something stopping full engagement.

The earliest workshop manual I have is from '65 and it talks about the Braden but only adjustment of the Hercules. It seems later Braden winches up until 64 were hydraulic clutch actuation.

Neilo

Gearbox

try some lube on the clutch slide and then see if you can tighten it up some . It looks dry in the pic .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

mog5858

thanks boys i will take them out and give them a good clean and go from there and yes i will make sure my sliding caller is clean and well lubed.

bushmechanic

Mog5858 I think that there is adjustment by means of a threaded collar which will increase or decrease the distance of the finger engagement. There's a lock pin where your black arrow is, I think you pull it out and make the adjustment by turning the finger hub, in for more pressure on the clutch and out to decrease it. Make sure that you put your lock pin back in a hole after adjustment.

Thank You Sponsors!