iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insulating D logs

Started by loggerman1959, April 03, 2016, 11:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loggerman1959

Do you fellas feel it necessary to put a layer of insulation between D logs in a cabin ? I wanted a nice tight look on the inside and am afraid insulation will create gaps . Anyone have any experience with this ??? Or ideas ? This is my first cabin build , and I really wanted the flats nice and tight looking .

starmac

The insulation I see used mashes flat, you can't even tell it is there. I think it basically just creates a seal.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Ladysmith

I have built 2 d log cabins and put 1/4 inch ethafoam between the rows. It has worked very well. I also caulked the logs. Once a row of logs are in place, you simply roll out the ethafoam, cut it to width, staple in place and set the next row. Thanks. Rich
Rich

loggerman1959

Thanks  , not sure what Ethafoam is though .....

starmac

I do not know what it is called, but they make insulation especially for this, it comes in rolls about 4 inches wide and is just stapled down, you can't tell it is even there, once the log compresses it.

starmac

Found a price list from the local sawmill that sells cabin supplies. What is popular here is called sill seal fiberglass log insulation, 4 in wide by 100 ft rolls sells for $20.31 cents here. There will be much cheaper places to get it, probably even here than the place I have a list from.

Raider Bill

We used a foam membrane and log cabin caulk/glue then screwed together with log screws. Been 8 years strong like bull.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Remle

Quote from: loggerman1959 on April 03, 2016, 11:14:01 AM
Do you fellas feel it necessary to put a layer of insulation between D logs in a cabin ? I wanted a nice tight look on the inside and am afraid insulation will create gaps . Anyone have any experience with this ??? Or ideas ? This is my first cabin build , and I really wanted the flats nice and tight looking .
My neighbor built his Home/ log cabin out of red pine logs and used Sill seal Tape, then caulked the edges. He also cut a 3/4" groove down the center of each log and used a spline between the logs, with the tape/ caulk on each side. Turned out so tight he had to install an air exchange system to get rid of the moisture in the house that forms on his windows.

Thank You Sponsors!