iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut in PA

Started by Hale87, April 03, 2016, 11:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I agreed to cut for 50% of the yield the other day on some decent looking black walnut. I was wondering where the price is right now? If it's not very high, I'll just squirrel it away I guess.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

WV Sawmiller

Hale,

How much storage room do you have to keep the wood and how quickly do you need to turn it over? I have one pretty large walnut I salvaged off my place I cut mostly into 2" native edge slabs. I advertise them in a local free trader paper and sell them for about $5/bf but that is 1-2 boards at a time. I am in no particular rush to get rid of them. If I needed the space or money I'd probably have to sell them for about half that to move them.

By the way - did you contract for half the logs or half the lumber? Many people suggest divide the logs then you take your share. Owner may want 4/4 but you may have a better market for 8/4 or 12/4 or such. If you get the logs you have the flexibility to saw them as you wish.

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hale87

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 03, 2016, 12:39:35 PM
   By the way - did you contract for half the logs or half the lumber? Many people suggest divide the logs then you take your share. Owner may want 4/4 but you may have a better market for 8/4 or 12/4 or such. If you get the logs you have the flexibility to saw them as you wish.

Good luck.

If I cut hardwood I'll typically cut 4/4 and it's split 50/50 as it comes off trying to make it fair for both parties. Soft woods are too cheap so I wolln't cut it for 50% but will let someone pay me in logs.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

WDH

Wholesale Price for 4/4 FAS walnut, rough sawn, kiln dried, F.O.B sawmill is a little over $4.00 per bf in tractor trailer load quantities per the Hardwood Market Report. 

WV, if you were closer, I would be one of your bigger customers for thick walnut slabs at $5.00  ;D
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Hale87 on April 04, 2016, 08:12:27 AM
Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 03, 2016, 12:39:35 PM

Good luck.

If I cut hardwood I'll typically cut 4/4 and it's split 50/50 as it comes off trying to make it fair for both parties. Soft woods are too cheap so I wolln't cut it for 50% but will let someone pay me in logs.
Hale,

If that works for you it is certainly fine. Definitely sounds fair. Many times the sawyer may want to make different sizes of lumber than the customer so they split the logs. The technique I think I have seen described most often is to divide the logs based on estimated bf from a log rule then flip a coin to decide who gets which pile. Since he doesn't know which pile he will get this gives the landowner maximum incentive to divide equally. So far I have always declined to cut on shares but I would for the right wood (Good Walnut, Locust or Cherry) and that is the technique I would plan to use. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!