iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

PTO speed

Started by thechknhwk, April 01, 2016, 09:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

I have an implement that states it needs to run at 305-350 PTO speed, but I'm not sure how to figure it out.  I have the 540 mark on my tach, so can I use a straight ratio to figure the appropriate engine RPM's to achieve the desired PTO speed?

For example

2100rpm = 540pto

2100/540 = 3.88 RPM's per PTO rpm, so 325*3.88 = 1264 RPM's.

The manual does say to run between 1000-1300 RPM's, but it also says exceeding the recommended PTO speed can damange the implement.

Any insight is welcome; I did search the interwebs for a conversion table but was unsuccessful.  The tractor is a Kubota L3800.

Magicman

Google "handheld tach".  Once you get it set for the proper PTO rpm's, you will know the proper engine speed.  That may be a solution.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

thechknhwk, you have already deciphered the solution.  Your calculation for engine rpm to pto rpm is correct.  It also equals the manuals recommended engine rpm.

What type of implement is it, I am curious?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thechknhwk

I may show & tell after I figure it out.  I'm sure you'll see a picture pop up sooner or later.  It's not anything super special, but I try not to be a show off.  Unless maybe it's my barn :D

John Mc

You've got it right, it's just a linear relationship. The easy way to think of it is what percent of the rated 540rpm PTO speed is your desired speed, then take that same percent of the 540PTO engine speed to get your PTO where you want it. (if you want half rated PTO speed, run your engine at half the 540PTO RPMs)

In this case 325/540 = 60.2%
60.2% of 2100 = 1264 RPM
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

gspren

The only thing I'll add is that your rated PTO horsepower is at 540 so when you drop to a lower RPM you also lower your available HP, that may or may not be a problem depending on your "secret" implement.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

thechknhwk

Magicman

Snow Cone Machines do not need much horse power.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!