iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More fun with apples. Sauce!

Started by Jeff, October 25, 2004, 06:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Tammy and I decided to make some apple sauce tonight. Since Tammy can not have sugar any more we decided to experiment and make it with splenda. Its great! If you have never used splenda, its very good. Not like the old sugar substitutes.

Step 1: Ida Red apples this time. We used 6 for this batch.

Step 2: Quartered and core trimmed out, DONT PEEL! Add a couple cups of water. The trick is for the water to cook off at the same time the apples are cooked.

Step 3: Cook until the apples are tender, like you would potatoes. then STOP!  Water should be cooked off and you should just have pulp. (you can adjust the water as the apples cook)

Step 4: We have an old time spin siv. Put the cooked apples in peel and all. the siv catches the peel and any other stem parts or seeds you might have missed.

Step 5: Mix in the splenda and ground Cinnamon to taste. The more tart the apples the more spenda you need unless you like tart apple sauce.

Step 6:  8)

This recipe is the same if you want to use sugar.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Mm-m-m-m-m-m  Looks good.  I like to make Pear sauce  and pear butter too.  Bet it would work for pears. ;D

Captain

Grandma always called that "siv" an apple mill.  We bought one a couple of years ago at the kitchen gadget store...it works great.  You are right, no need to get fancy with the apples, seeds and all.  

How expensive is the splenda compared to the sugar required to sweeten to the same taste?

Captain

Jeff

they say that by conversion, its about the same price. Less splenda then sugar. I dont think thats real accurate. If you have access to Sams Club, you can get the big boxes for a lot less.

sandmar

Looks good Jeff,but in the South them boys would be in some fried pies  ;D mmmmmmmmm now I gotta go get some apples fur sure.

Sandmar

etat

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

dail_h

Thats what I like 'bout real country people,fried pie
                           apple
                           sweet potatoe
                           dried peach
                           raisin and apricot

YUMMMMMM   YUMMMMMMM
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Furby

My grandma makes apple sauce all winter. Just the right amount of sugar and cinnamon. 8)
She made up a batch on Sat., and said she would save me a bowl.

Guess what? I forgot to get it when I was there a little while ago. Now this thread has me thinking I need to pay her a midnight visit, because my mouth is watering. ;D

Teddles

Peel and all huh?? Might have to try that next time I cook up some apples. Don't know if we have those apple mills down here in NZ though like that.

And you've got to put that in a pie, or under some sponge mixture. Mmm, apple sponge is delish.

And Tom, what is pear butter??   ???

(Notice that I always respond to the threads involving food!!)  ;D

Tom

Apple Butter and Pear Butter are made by cooking the peeled and cored fruit down with sugar and cinnamon.  It is then stirred into a mush (food processor) and storred in a sealed jar like a jelly.  It's used as a spread on buttered toast or biscuits for breakfast and sometimes as a condiment for meals with ham the same as you would use apple sauce.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/000119apple_butter.php :)

Norm

Boy I love a good applesauce and that looks like good applesauce! We haven't made it in years, used to have a yellow transparent tree that came on in July. It made some good stuff but I prefer a later variety myself. It brought to mind when our boys were real little and could only eat soft foods, you'd give em a spoonful of applesauce and they'd get this big grin on. The stuff would just drool out of their mouth. :D

Jeff

I only tasted it last night for sweetness. I had a bowl this morningfor breakfast.

Lawdy! 8) You would never know it was sugar free. It was our test batch. I figured if I didnt like it I would make more with good old beet sugar so I could enjoy it at least. The splenda is no problem. We will probably make a batch every night for a week or so until we get some ahead in the freezer. Apple sauce freezes in ziplock freezer bags very well.

Tom

It shouldn't be long before you can sit it outside the door and let your cool breezes off of the lakes make it solid. :D

Jason_WI

Tom,

Acutally, this time of the year the cool breeze off of the lake keeps us on the lakeshore a few degrees warmer than the inland folks. ;D ;D

Till the bay freezes over then we're just as cold as the rest.. :-[

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Tom_Averwater

Iv'e been making Blackberry pies with Splenda. Can't tell the difference betweenSplenda and sugar.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

Furby

Yep Jason, here at home most of the leaves have changed and dropped. Went up to the lake today to close up, and the trees were full of color. No real hard freezes along the lakeshore.

wiam

My wife and kids made some today.

Maria and Robert cutting up apples, quarter  don't core

Laurie running cooked apples through food strainer

Cooking down before canning

They made about 20 quarts today

William

fstedy

8) 8) 8) SPLENDA its GREAT stuff ben usining it for about 2 years. My son has a degree in chemistry and said the pink and blue stuff is made with some nasty chemicals, I won't use it. That applesauce looks perty tasty  8) 8) 8)
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

SwampDonkey

Mother uses Splenda in her sauce for father, who is diebetic.  We don't sift the sauce, we just make sure the core is cut out well and the peel. I only make sauce with a couple varieties, that take very little sugar anyway and they foam and froth up real well. One variety is yellow transparent, and another is New Brunswicker. They are not a apple that stores well and are ripe in late summer-early fall. I also have a wild apple on the woodlot that is good in October after some frosts, cooks up the same. I don't have anything against Splenda, and I know its a great substitude, but I prefer sugar in moderation. I don't even like jams with high sugar content.

Nothing like a nice bowl of sas :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Engineer

I think the red/pink color comes from leaving the peel in the mix as it cooks.  If you core and peel you get a very pale sauce.

I love homemade sauce, and another great use for the apples:

Take 'em and core/peel, dice 1/4" cubes, also dice a red onion, about 3 apples to one onion, saute' in butter until just soft, add a touch of red wine and a bit of sage, serve as a sauce over your favorite cut of meat (best with pork and turkey).  

Buzz-sawyer

Engineer that sounds good.........dont talk to pascal..you could cause a relapse for him..... :D :D
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

Thank You Sponsors!