iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Manual mill on a car trailer

Started by Engineer, April 01, 2016, 02:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Wondering if any of you guys have smaller manual sawmills, and instead of a purpose built trailer or a trailer package, you set them on a landscaping or car trailer and haul them around?  I like the idea that I can remove the mill and haul around my tractor or a load of logs or lumber, maybe set it up with a log arch, or even share it with my brother so he can use it for hauling his Willys rat rod.  I have economy in mind, do not like the thought of a "single-tasker" for a built in sawmill trailer.  I am leaning very heavily toward a Woodland Mills HM126 (finally made up my mind, now my bank account has to cooperate!) and probably will find a good used trailer to transport it.  I'm also trying to figure out if the mill could actually be bolted (temporarily) to the trailer and left right on it while milling. 

Sixacresand

When I had a WM LT-10, I had planned to build a steel skid or sled  for the mill.  That would allow it to be winched up on a trailer or skidded with a tractor or pickup to different locations on the place.   Go for it, Engineer.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

fishfighter

I have that mill. Hope you order a extension with it. You going to need it. Really thinking of ordering a second one for mine.

The adjustable feet that mounts under the tracks, they have holes, 4 per each one. So, if you wanted, you could screw them down,

Using a car trailer, out the question. why? If there is railing on said trailer, that would get in your way. Now a flat bed, it could work mounting it all the way to one side. Problem with that, loading logs and unloading lumber. A days cutting, you would be beat climbing in and off the trailer.

So, over all, I wouldn't do it. Besides you would have a good chance that every time you set up to saw, you will be spending a lot of time readjusting your tracks.

Kbeitz

Used boat trailers are cheap and they work great.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den-Den

I built my mill to be skidded onto a trailer and moved it that way several times but have since added an axle to make moving it easier.
Sliding it up onto the trailer was not a big deal but neither was adding the axle.  The mill base is stiff enough that all I had to do was add springs, axle and hitch.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

clintnelms

I just bought a Woodland Mills HM126 and am still in the process of setting mine up. I set it up on 4x6's but didn't like the way it sat. Wasn't very stable as I'd like and hard to get level with my ground. Bought some I-Beams and will be finishing up in the morning getting it setup on them. Going to tack weld the adjustment feet to the I-Beams. I like this setup much better already with as far as I've gotten. I did get two logs sawed before I decided to change my setup. So far love it!

doug olsen

I think I have done pretty much what you are wanting to do. I have the LT 15, with an extra extension, which allows me to saw 16' +. With this setup, I have about 3' out the backend and extending about 2' over the front of the deck area and on to the hitch assy. This still enables me to jackknife the trailer when one has to, surprisingly quite often.
Presently, I have the mill, levelled to the trailer and fastened thru the decking. I also have the decking 2X6's removed from beneath the carriage so any debris will fall thru.
It is what it is and when things are dual purpose, one has to sacrifice one for the other but I sure like what I have as I move it back and forth to my trapline... I could send pics if you would like.  Not quite certain....to be honest...I have no idea of how to put on here, even though it isn't rocket science....I might figure it out eventually
LT 15/portable trlr., 580 Case hoe/thumb, JD 570 Skidsteer (bkn.) 500 Rubicon quad

justallan1

That's exactly what I did with my first mill. My trailer is 6' wide and has rails, so I framed up a box out of steel to the height of the trailer sides and it worked great. My trailer is 16' long so I hung 2 foot off of each end. Between the trailer, the steal framed up box and the track, it didn't need much leveling on most logs that little mill could saw. I sure liked it up off the deck, it saved the back for darned sure.
If you use a trailer with side rails PLEASE take precautions when rolling logs and make darned sure to have an escape route.

plowboyswr

I just got my HF mill  and for temporary I put it on one of my flatbed trailers. Just so I can back it in the barn at night.

I kept it to one side so I can run the controls from the ground. Only bad thing I've seen so far is clearance for the backstops.
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

paul case

Congrats, Plowboy.
Sounds like fun happening at your place and It looks like it does a good job.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

plowboyswr

Quote from: paul case on April 02, 2016, 05:56:37 PM
Congrats, Plowboy.
Sounds like fun happening at your place and It looks like it does a good job.

PC
You ain't a kidding on the fun! ;D 8)
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

Magicman

Congrats on the new sawmill plowboyswr.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gww

plow
Just saw this thread.  How cool.
gww

Thank You Sponsors!