iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cable repacement for Uniforest Winch

Started by John Mc, March 31, 2016, 05:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

The cable on my 3pt Logging Winch needs to be replaced. it came with 10mm x 70 meters (a little over 3/8" x 230 feet.  All if the logging winch sales places in my area only stock 160 ft long cable. I rarely use more than that, but that extra bit does come in handy now and then (not to mention of I have to cut some damaged stuff off, I still have a decent length left.

I know zip about cables. Local (sort of) dealer wants $275 plus shipping for 3/8" x 230' winch cable.

The winch distributor wants $205 for 10mm x 70 meter (plus shipping, unless I pick it up next time I'm passing that way. 3 hours away, but I do pass that way from time to time.)

I can get this 3/8" X 250', 7x19, Galvanized Cable Reel off Amazon for $100 plus $42 shipping. Is this  good cable to use on my winch, or is it the wrong stuff for this application?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

peterpaul

I know just enough about cables to know that there is a world of difference between them even if the bundles, diameter and warp are all equal, it still comes down to the metallurgy of each individual strand.  I recently purchased a Wallenstein FX85 and will go back to Wallenstein for a replacement when the time arrives.  Sorry not much help.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

711ac

I went to internet school :D when I was cable shopping. There are several different types. Fiber core, wire core, improved and extra improved plow something.... "stregnth"?  For about 1/2 price I would try the amazon deal. I do know the 7x19 is 7 bundles of 19 wires each make up the cable, and I think with the "7" it would be a wire core. I did see, and others have told me that the "swaged" cable is better as it has been run through rollers smashing the outer cables into a smoother outside surface, not sure of the advantage, but I think it "lays", handles and spools better, but it costs more.
If you've worn out your cable, you prolly know more about "wire rope" than me anyway. ;)

Brian_Rhoad

Ed_K

Check Pete's Repair in Morrisville,he sells Tajfun winches but thats the same cable thats on mine.
Ed K

CCC4

One thing that seems to run true is that from sawmill main pulley cable to skidder mainline...you get what you pay for. It seems that anytime you go for a bargain, you get a junk cable.

John Mc

Quote from: 711ac on March 31, 2016, 06:46:04 PM
If you've worn out your cable, you prolly know more about "wire rope" than me anyway. ;)

Bad kink right smack in the middle of the cable, so If I cut of the end, I loose half my cable length. It has seen some use anyway, but had a lot of life left in it before that happened.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

John Mc

Quote from: peterpaul on March 31, 2016, 06:29:28 PM
I know just enough about cables to know that there is a world of difference between them even if the bundles, diameter and warp are all equal, it still comes down to the metallurgy of each individual strand.  I recently purchased a Wallenstein FX85 and will go back to Wallenstein for a replacement when the time arrives.  Sorry not much help.

I worked in a steel wire manufacturing plant for a couple of decades, so I know a bit about metallurgy. Unfortunately, we didn't get into the cable end of things. I know just barely enough about cable to know that I don't know enough to shop on my own (unless I just buy from the winch dealer). That stuff is more complicated than most people might think

47sawdust

John,
As Ed K said or try Reed Supply in St.Johnsbury,Vt. or Labonville.My Tajfun only has 160' of cable but i've never really needed more.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

g_man

I have bought cable from Northeast Impliment a Farmi dealer in NY. The shipping was very reasonable. They sold me a 6X36 w/ wire core cable which I did not like because the fine wires broke to easily under abrasive use. It did not last a year.

My present cable came from Reed Supply in St J as suggested above. They stock Fransgaard cables so 3/8" X 160' hook included.  They told me they could get any length. The Fransguaard cable is a 6X26 build and seems much more robust than the 6X36 from NE Impliments. The individual wires are bigger in diameter. I have only had it on for a couple months so I can't say much more than that. The price from Reed's was better than Labonville in Gorham, NH another Fransguaard dealer.

My original Farmi cable was a 6X19 build which lasted forever.

TheDirt

I would try b&n in enosburg, vt. Best cable prices I've seen stateside. I know guys who will go up to cleary's equipment in lawrencville Qc, and buy a years worth of cables each spring. Good deals up there, now especially with the exchange. I'm sure they do tractor winch cable, but I'd call.

Old Dog

Take a look at Sheldon Hill Forestry Supply and their affiliated business RiggingWharehouse.com.  They are located in Saugerties, NY and I receive shipments from them to Vermont very efficiently.  They sell by the foot and have both 6x25 or 6x37 IWRC in 3/8in and up.  3/8 runs ~ 0.77/ft

I have good experiences working with these folks but have not purchased cable from them.

Edit - forgot to say they refer to the cable as 'wire rope'.

peterpaul

Bad kink right smack in the middle of the cable, so If I cut of the end, I loose half my cable length. It has seen some use anyway, but had a lot of life left in it before that happened.

I would think that if you cut the cable at the kink, you could have two extension cables so you could really "reach out and touch someone" :)
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota 4330 GST, Wallenstein FX 85, Timberwolf TW6, homemade firewood conveyor

John Mc

Quote from: peterpaul on April 02, 2016, 05:20:30 PM
I would think that if you cut the cable at the kink, you could have two extension cables so you could really "reach out and touch someone" :)

Unfortunately, my wife already has plans for the old cable. It's going to be used somehow in the Spartan Race type obstacle course in our woods.

Ford_man

The only time that I had over 200 ft of cable out of uniforest was to pull my grandsons 4 wheeler out of the swamp, it was totally under water .

Ed_K

I use the whole cable a lot on cordwood cuts. I hang a pulley in a strong cut tree and use it like a small yarder. I go out in an ark 75degs to each side and cut and skid all the cut trees,bringing them to a bunch then use the skidder to move to the landing.
Ed K

Holmes

Quote from: Ed_K on April 03, 2016, 09:55:21 AM
I use the whole cable a lot on cordwood cuts. I hang a pulley in a strong cut tree and use it like a small yarder. I go out in an ark 75degs to each side and cut and skid all the cut trees,bringing them to a bunch then use the skidder to move to the landing.

That is a great idea
Think like a farmer.

mog5858

that cable from amazon will most likely be "air craft cable" which will be galvanized will work but i would say it like having a  harbor freight flat wrench and using a snap-on you can feel the difference. i am by no means wise at this game but you do get what you pay for. i just got some new stuff for my trailer winch as the factory stuff was "air craft" work but i would never put it back on. 6x25 stuff will be really soft and lay flat easy to work with as the 7x19 has thicker wires making it stiffer. my understanding of swagged cable was to help get more on the drum they take 3/4 and run thought roller and it comes out 5/8 for you can get more feet on your drum. you might wont to look at load ratings as the 6-xx will be a little stronger on paper then most 7-xx from what i seen looking at cable. 

John Mc

Thanks for all the responses. I'm getting quite a cable education.

It sounds as though I want to avoid going with the really fine strands (like 6x36), since that may have longevity issues in this application. However, going really coarse may be tougher to handle and not lay on the drum as well. I'm wondering if my eyes are good enough (and the cable end in good enough shape) to count strands in what is already on there.

I've thought about going with the shorter cable. I've probably only used over 160' on about a dozen occasions. I'm guessing it's easier to avoid getting a bird's nest of cable on the drum or getting a strand "pulled down" into previous wraps if I have a shorter length.  On the other hand, on the woodlot where I've been harvesting firewood with a few other families, we've thinned a lot of the stuff right near the trails, and will soon be working further off the trails. Having that extra reach may come in handy. I'd also like to try out Ed_K's idea of using it like a mini-yarder. I've done somethings that are close to that, but it's a set-up concept I should consider more.

thecfarm

I run 165 feet on my winch. I have run that out a few times and found out real fast that I can not walk in a straight line through the woods.  :o  Took me about 3-4 times of unhooking and rehooking and going around trees to get the job done. I have cleaned off a bog and that is when I hook more cable onto what I have. But that is real slow too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jhenderson

The guys around here count on Cableworks out of Putnam Ct.

Puffergas

Anybody try synthetic rope..? I'm thinking it would rot with the winch stored out side and not hold up to abrasion.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

CCC4

Seen it used on trucks and UTV's...works very well for that application.

711ac

The synthetic sounds interesting, but I could not justify the 2-3x higher cost and wonder what effect the sliders would have on it.

Offthebeatenpath

The synthetic wouldn't rot, but I wouldn't recommend it for a logging winch. You have to be very careful with how you use them.  I have a 60' and a 300' length of Amsteel Blue line and a 100' Superline XP by Master Pull that is more abrasion resistant than the Amsteel.  They are great for many applications, but I don't think logging is one of them.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Thank You Sponsors!