iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bulk Barn Conversion to a lumber Kiln

Started by Arbor-Mill, March 31, 2016, 09:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arbor-Mill

Pardon my ignorance on the subject, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted to convert a bulk barn to a dehumidification kiln?  I have access to several old Tobacco Bulk barns that are not being used for farming anymore and was looking to purchase a Nyle L200 and make that work for me instead of buying a shipping container and have to insulate it as well as do a bunch of cutting on the exterior to make vents and what not.  I've done a search on the subject matter but it did not make it much past the same question I am asking.  I am hoping someone with a great deal of experience has done this before so I can leave very little to the imagination since I am pretty dangerous when I start using mine.  Anyhow, thanks for your time!

Brian M.

WDH

The kiln chamber has to be sized to the unit.  Also, the chamber needs to be well insulated to save energy $ and make the system efficient.  You could construct a chamber inside the bulk barn, but I doubt that the bulk barn will be suitable as a kiln chamber. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

The inside of a barn would be a great place to build a kiln or two.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!