iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Assembly of a Swiss Timber Frame

Started by D L Bahler, March 30, 2016, 11:14:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D L Bahler

https://youtu.be/zxVzEYQzytw

Here is a video I made detailing the assembly process of one style of Swiss timber framing. This is a platform framing method found in the southern part of the Canton of Bern at the edge of the Alps, and is my all time favorite style of building.

This is a sketchup model complete with detailed joinery (aside from a few missing mortise pockets for windows on the upper level) and I tried to more or less show the order one would use in assembling a frame like this.

This model does not exhibit the regional architectural style, just the framing method. The model was created as an exercise in blending American styles into the Swiss building form.

I thought you all might enjoy seeing a detailed illustration of how framing like this works. You will note it really has very little in common with the more familiar North American styles of framing, and is descended from an entirely different building tradition that probably has been unrelated for five thousand years or so.

ChrisGermany

Love, love, LOVE reading and researching building methods from this area. Wish I could get loose to make a visit and inspect the buildings in person. Thanks for the video!
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." -- Matthew 6:34

Thank You Sponsors!