iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I guess one more can’t hert

Started by woodbe, March 28, 2016, 07:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbe

Don't you just hate it when you go to check out a new peace of equipment (new to me of course) and find just one more thing you can't live without? I was picking up a wide belt sander about 6 months back and low and behold it happened one more thing. It was a nice band mill that was in need of a new home so I couldn't say no. I think it is a Linn clone or kit. It looks to be well built and man is it heavy. I think the band wheels are 26" and it also has a 15 hp motor. The track is two 20' sections so around 36' of cut. Now I just need to change some wiring and give it a test run. I was not able to try it out it is wired for 460v. I hope to get it up and going someday soon here are some pictures just for fun.

Now I will need to figure out what to do with my other mill. I don't have room to keep them both.  In the picture it was being stored in a ware house but had to get moved out. So now the track is out at the saw yard and the head is still in the shop for rewire and test run.

bkaimwood

Looks simple, yet effective...good mix! May I suggest we get some blade guards on that thing first??!! Let us know how goes...good luck!
bk

woodbe

The guards are off just for the picture. It is a little nicer than the Burg that I am using now. The new mill is 15 hp and the old is only 5 hp. I picked up a 10 hp motor to swop out the 5 but the newer mill came home before I got it changed. The new mill also has a chain and hand crank to move the saw head. I may work on adding a power feed and raise lower.

The old mill.

Slingshot

Looks like you can do some wide slabs with it.

______________________________-

woodbe

I think that it can get 36" maybe a little more.  It should have the power to make it happen.

Have any of you worked with a hand crank feed on a mill?  The burg is a push type and I have not worked with the hand crank type. Looks good so far.

muggs

I take it you have access to 3 phase power?    Muggs

woodbe

Out at the saw yard I have a 3 phase service and if it ever end up at my home I have a 20hp phase converter. I am running a wide belt at my home shop and it is working fine. I am looking for a larger piece of property so I can have all the toys at one place. The saw yard is at a friend's place and that is OK for now but it would be nice to have it at home.

dboyt

Good find!  Looks like you'll be able to cut some serious slabs.  I've used hand crank and push, and prefer to push the carriage, but the hand crank lends itself to power feed later.  With your access to electricity, it should be pretty simple to automate feed, carriage lift, toe boards and log turning.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

woodbe

I managed to get it for $1000 and they dropped off the track at my place. Even if I didn't need it I could not let it go. I hope to get it running by mid summer. The mill I have now is under powered for big logs so this should be a  nice change.

Thank You Sponsors!