iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hard Maple Root Ball - Worth Digging Out?

Started by ChadWWW, March 28, 2016, 06:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChadWWW

So I'd like to get another slab out of this hard maple rootball, looks to me like it is pretty curly.  The trunk is 3' diameter but if you go down another 6 inches it looks like I might be able to get a 5' or even 6' diameter slab out of the ground.  What do you guys think, is it worth it?  I was thinking I can probably get the tree cutter to use his stump grinder to excavate a trench around it and get through some of the roots, then I'll sharpen one chain while my Dad works on dulling the other one :D

Any advice on how to saw up the trunk would be appreciated as well.  We're getting a Stihl 066, 42" bar, and Granberg Alaska mill and this will be our first slabs cut (so you don't think I'm signing my death certificate, my Dad has lots of chainsaw experience, just not with cutting lumber - these things scare the crap out of me lol).

(EDIT: 8) Finally figured out how to post pics.  Here's the top of the root and the trunk that is all I managed to save from the tree cutter. 

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ChadWWW.  Sounds like you would fight a bear barehanded.   :o   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bkaimwood

Welcome Chad...x2...I wouldn't... Not because it might not be worth it... Just because I'm too old...
bk

Left Coast Chris

I would dig around it a bit with a shovel and see how high the roots are coming in.   If they are real high the next question is how close together they are.  If they are not too close together you could slab it in a ripping cut instead of a cross cut.     If there are closely spaced roots high up then you might only get block wood for bowls etc..  If it is figured with partial burl or compression ripples and the roots are not adverse then I would dig it out and get what you can from it.   But then again I don't run across the opportunity to get maple very often and get good use from the wood for hobby projects so the need is there for myself and I have an old backhoe to spare the back.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Seavee

Welcome to the forum  Chadwww. Stumps hate to come out of the ground.  I'm done with those days.
Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Brad_bb

I've milled a couple stumps to get curved brace stock from the root feet (timber frame corner braces).  I have not been the one getting them out of the ground.  The logger had already done that for the landowner and I just bought the stumps.

It will take you all of a day of hard work to cut the roots back and dig all the dirt out of the bottom of the stump.  Then you'll get dirty pressure washing it for about an hour.  The next problem for me is deciding how to cut it.  Once I've got that figured, I try to remove bark along my cut lines with an axe as best I can to reduce the amount of embedded dirt my chainsaw chain will see.

Is it worth it?  That is only for you to decide.  The few I've done were a good experience.  I don't dread that work.  You do want to make sure as best you can that the stump is worthy of this effort. 

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

ChadWWW

Quote from: Magicman on March 28, 2016, 07:47:01 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, ChadWWW.  Sounds like you would fight a bear barehanded.   :o   :D

Well I do live in Montana and I'm moving to Alaska so bear fighting is a good skill to have  :snowball:

ChadWWW

Wow thanks for all of the responses guys, love this forum  ;)

I added pics to my original post.  @Left Coast Chris are those the compression ridges you were talking about?  This is my first log so I was pretty excited to see what looked like curly figure across the entire stump. 

Any guesses as to how far down that thing is going to go?  It seems if I went even 4" underground that I'd be able to get another really nice slab right there without excavating the whole thing.  Of course knowing me I'd go another 4", then another 4", and end up digging it all up anyways  :)

kensfarm

Brad that looks like hard work even if you didn't dig it up.. I like your forklift tractor.. nice. 

Left Coast Chris

The pictures really help (thanks).  The first pic looks like there may be compression grain on the near side by the paint brush.    The roots are mostly coming in high and appear to be all the way around.   My experience has been that attempting to saw usable wood where the roots join often has drying issues so there is a lot of waste for any thinner wood cut out of it.   It also has some defect towards the center.  You will see a lot of people bring in a stump grinder at this point.   Since I like to turn bowls I would cut what block wood out I could with a chain saw then bring in the stump grinder.    Another option is if someone nearby has a backhoe that would be a big time saver but you will end up with a very large hole and plenty of scars on the stump.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

dustintheblood

Quote from: Brad_bb on March 29, 2016, 12:36:51 AM
I've milled a couple stumps to get curved brace stock from the root feet (timber frame corner braces).  I have not been the one getting them out of the ground.  The logger had already done that for the landowner and I just bought the stumps.

It will take you all of a day of hard work to cut the roots back and dig all the dirt out of the bottom of the stump.  Then you'll get dirty pressure washing it for about an hour.  The next problem for me is deciding how to cut it.  Once I've got that figured, I try to remove bark along my cut lines with an axe as best I can to reduce the amount of embedded dirt my chainsaw chain will see.

Is it worth it?  That is only for you to decide.  The few I've done were a good experience.  I don't dread that work.  You do want to make sure as best you can that the stump is worthy of this effort. 

Man oh man, you're braver than me.  I'd have looked at that stump and thought..."well that'll be topsoil in 5 years or so if I leave well enough alone."

That being said, what spectacular wood it must have made!
Case 75C, Case 1494, RangeRoad RR10T36, Igland 4001, Hardy 1400ST, WM LT40HD, WM Edger, ICS DH Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!