iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What critter weaves longleaf pine needles?

Started by caveman, March 28, 2016, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I have not noticed this prior to yesterday afternoon.  What kind of bug does this? It did not look like it was causing any harm to the tree but I am curious.
Caveman
Caveman

Ljohnsaw

Interesting.  Is that on just one tree or all?  Is it really woven together or did the tips of the needles just get stuck together and it grew that way?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

sprucebunny

I have 2 ten year old long leaf growing in pots. Mine do that and I thought it was because they were root bound ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

caveman

I only have ever seen it on this one tree.  I do not think it grew that way.  If you look to the right in the picture above, you can see some brown needles that were woven as well.

Another point of interest to me is that I have never seen fusiform rust in any of the trees in our area until a year or so ago.  It is not prevalent but I have been finding some on some slash pine and also have been noticing what appears to be pitch canker in slash pine although I was under the impression that it was more common in longleaf.

Caveman
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!