iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

3325 Deere winch.

Started by BargeMonkey, March 28, 2016, 09:36:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BargeMonkey

Can anyone show me a picture of what your using to hold your cable on the drum with ? The factory wedge ??? Or whatever was long gone when I got my machine. Have always put it on thru the U and driven a carriage bolt in to wedge it, but can still pull out if you really wanted too. A ferrule is just to big to fit right. What did the factory use ???

grassfed

I can't find my manual right now but basically there never was any kind of wedge.

You pass the cable through the hole by the winch reel flange then you make a U and pass the end back through the next hole (heading back toward the direction of the rest of the cable) then you make another U and insert the cable in the same hole it just came out of.

You have to squeeze the cable so you have two passes going in opposite directions through the second hole.

If you look closely you will see that the second hole (toward the middle of the reel) is bigger  than the first hole.

The trick to this is to make a big U untill you get the cable fed and then clamp some vice grips on the bitter end of the cable while you pull the slack out. Once you take the slack out the cable cinches hard against itself and the second U becomes a kink that wedges the cable in place.

Ok that works pretty good but it is awkward to do and you need a really clean unfrayed unkinked cable to start with.

When I have to fix it in the woods with a sloppy cable I just make the first U and then tie an overhand knot in the end. Then I put tension on the cable with vice grips holding the knot end. When the knot is good and tight it mostly fits into the slot by the second hole.

I hope this makes sense If I find my manual I will copy the picture for you.
Mike

tj240

i am guessing this is for a 440 or 540? if so run the cable up the left side down the right with a U at the top. take the tail and run it over the drum, but under the U, put vise grips on the tail and slowly drive forward till the cable actually locks itself.  take off the grips, winch up to tighten.  if you need to change the cable after it has been used a while, it takes some work to undo, but it wont slip. hope this helps.
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

BargeMonkey

Ok, it makes sense and I'm glad I'm not missing some wedge or winch piece. :D I get a pretty wicked amount of time out of a piece of cable, actually slid down an icy bank 2 winters ago and was so glad I didn't have the cable rigidly attached. My 405 franklin had a spot for a ferrule in the drum, another guy just uses the factory ferrule inside his drum and a knot on the end. I can't stand a knot on the end of the cable, once you use a ferrule you won't go back.  :D

teakwood

I just put the two wedges of one of those ferrules we like so much in the second hole of the drum. of course i undid the cable end first and then tighten it. As i could not figure out how to make a small u turn on those stiff cables.  The cable stays fixed in there but i think if you would pull really hard it would release
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offthebeatenpath

I ground down the outside edges of a couple 5/8" (or maybe 9/16", I can't remember) nuts, slid them over the end of the winch line and welded them as kind of a makeshift ferrule. I didn't run a full bead on the welds so that they would likely break under high tension.
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

teakwood

You weld them to the cable?
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Offthebeatenpath

Yup, welded right to the cable. It's held so far...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

snowstorm

Quote from: tj240 on March 28, 2016, 08:04:37 PM
i am guessing this is for a 440 or 540? if so run the cable up the left side down the right with a U at the top. take the tail and run it over the drum, but under the U, put vise grips on the tail and slowly drive forward till the cable actually locks itself.  take off the grips, winch up to tighten.  if you need to change the cable after it has been used a while, it takes some work to undo, but it wont slip. hope this helps.
thats the way to do it. to get an old cable off. a axe and a big hammer. put the axe on the u beat with big hammer. or burn it off then put the fire out when done

Thank You Sponsors!