iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms 170- surprised

Started by Duhnis, March 27, 2016, 10:42:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duhnis

Hi , I recently went to a large chain store to purchase a chain for my 064 and ended up buying the chain and a new Ms170 for $159.95. After owning an 045 super,056super, 056 magII,048,064,066, 046.044,011and a 038 Mag, I never thought I would buy another small saw as the 056 magII and the 064(with 066 goodies on it ), are by far my two favorite saws ever.
I have so far cut about 10 cord of firewood (mostly hard maple, up to 14" dia.)with it and the only issue I have had was a plugged exhaust screen , because I run all my Stihls 32:1. I have never had a motor go down yet.
For a 30cc saw , it cuts pretty good, Starts and runs well,  Not too bad for a throw away homeowner saw, But it comes with a 2 year warranty ! I have to admit I like it enough , That I have been felling much bigger trees with the 064 and do all the limbing with the 170. My nephew bought one the next day after checking it out.
I must be getting old , because when I was younger, I did all my chopping with a big bad saw, But now I really like a 8 pound saw.
Duhnis

Walt

I bought one for a limb saw and find myself using it a lot. Same thing, it ended up being a surprise how well it does for a bottom end saw...

MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

ladylake

Try a Echo CS352 , cuts way faster and is light.   Cost a little more . Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Stihlowner

I also bought a Stihl 009L and is what some call a throw away/homeowner saw and I still have it 29 years later.
Runs great.
I also use a 71/1 mix.
I have been using this oil for the past 15 years or more.
29 year old chainsaw, 47 year old snowmobile and 20 year old boat engine are all still running fine.

VKJohnson

I recently got back a 009L from the end of that line's run...I gave it to my brother in law about fifteen years ago, and he generally used it a few times, then let it sit.  The gas in it was rancid, and the chain was the dullest I have ever seen...he must've stuck it straight into the dirt!

I put new fuel in it, fired up on the third pull!  A new chain...and I used it Friday to reduce some branch piles in a friend's orange orchard down to smaller piles...I had forgotten what a great saw it is!  Lots of torque!

Stihlowner

VKJohnson, I was also pruning some fruit trees with my 009L last weekend.
Not the best time to do it but I'm tired of being hit in the head by low branches when I cut the grass.

VKJohnson

Stihlowner, doncha just hate that?   8)

Stihlowner

Yes, and apple branches can draw blood.

millwright

I have a 170 , it's great for a little saw. I also had the screen plug up.

luvmexfood

I have one bought new. Got it home from dealer and was trying it out and it wouldn't cut crap. Then after looking it over and turning the chain around right it cut like a beaver. For it's size and what it is pretty wicked. Have used it a few times to buck some pretty good size oak logs just because it was close and didn't want to walk back to truck to get a bigger saw. Handy to limb with and use as a backup saw when you bind a bigger saw.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

jargo432

I have admit I was surprised to hear the reviews.  I was in a Stihl dealer shop and had the owner of the shop tell me to stay away from it. 
Jack of all trades.

Caloren

I bought my 170 10 years ago to have a small light saw for limbing and brush cutting, but I have cut down larger trees than it was designed for just because I didn't want to walk down the hill for a bigger saw! The only time it has ever had serious problems was one time I stepped back on it  ::) $80 to chainsawr and it was running again. I have learned to check the muffler screen every time it is serviced, the only saw I have that will plug the screen regularly!
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Andyshine77

Quote from: jargo432 on April 02, 2016, 09:13:24 PM
I have admit I was surprised to hear the reviews.  I was in a Stihl dealer shop and had the owner of the shop tell me to stay away from it.

I personally would as well. They do work and the price isn't bad, however it's quality is on par with the Poulan WT, except the WT has more power and a forged rod instead of a weak stamped rod. The issue with the box store saws is the fact they don't get setup before they leave the store, this gives them a bad reputation IMHO. As long as you use these saws as they're intended to be used. Keep the chain sharp, take your time and they'll all do alright, just don't expect much IMHO.     
Andre.

Walt

The muffler screen on these must be part of the reason the saw is so quiet. Mine runs a little bit louder that a weed eater but still super quiet for a chainsaw. I'm wondering if guys having carbon issue is running a richer oil mix than the oil manufacturer recommends and or Stihl. My experience with Stihl HP mixed as recommended runs as clean or cleaner than most any made. Not intended to railroad this into an oil debate but I see all over the forums guys running a rich oil mix which does bring on the carbon.
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

Caloren

Walt, The first time the screen plugged up on me I was running Stihl oil at the recommended 50 to 1 mix. That was ten years ago so don't remember how long it took to plug up, but it was in the first year, it does take a while to happen. I now run 40/1 mix in all my two strokes and don't notice any difference
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

Andyshine77

Quote from: Walt on April 03, 2016, 10:33:06 AM
The muffler screen on these must be part of the reason the saw is so quiet. Mine runs a little bit louder that a weed eater but still super quiet for a chainsaw. I'm wondering if guys having carbon issue is running a richer oil mix than the oil manufacturer recommends and or Stihl. My experience with Stihl HP mixed as recommended runs as clean or cleaner than most any made. Not intended to railroad this into an oil debate but I see all over the forums guys running a rich oil mix which does bring on the carbon.

More oil doesn't cause more carbon buildup! I see less buildup with more oil. Poor tuning does cause carbon issues do to incorrect engine temperatures.
Andre.

Walt

Quote from: Andyshine77 on April 03, 2016, 02:02:38 PM
Quote from: Walt on April 03, 2016, 10:33:06 AM

More oil doesn't cause more carbon buildup! I see less buildup with more oil. Poor tuning does cause carbon issues do to incorrect engine temperatures.
Well I do continue to learn as I go, Thanks Andyshine77, Regards Walt

Thank You Sponsors!