iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bugs - thrips?

Started by John P., March 27, 2016, 02:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John P.

I'm in the midst of my timberframing project. Frame is up, sheathed in OSB. I still have a large opening where a garage door is going to be installed first week of April. Until then it is open to the elements. It is next to a grassy / wooded field. I was doing some sanding and prep work for the opening, and noticed a bunch of small (1/16-1/8") bugs on the second floor purlins today.

I'm in SE Michigan, but the timber frame came from North Carolina.

I suspect the bugs are thrips from outside - initially I was worried they were powder post beetles, but I couldn't locate any tiny holes or powder, and the wood was in perfect condition when it arrived. Additionally, they don't look like beetles. The closest bug I could identify was a Thrip - note how the end of the bug is pointed. All the beetle pictures I saw had round ends. The weather has been unusually warm, and we're already seeing mosquitos so I'm not too surprised there are bugs.

Two pictures - I didn't have my tripod handy. This lens is a high quality macro lens but needs a tripod to take sharp pictures, sorry for the blurriness.

Thanks!

John

Thank You Sponsors!