iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spring time in the Green Swamp

Started by caveman, March 27, 2016, 01:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

The maples have been growing new leaves for about a month now.  Only a few of the bald cypress have started sprouting new leaves.  The swamp is relatively wet for this time of the year.  The downed trees are mostly a result of the three hurricanes that we had in the fall of 2004.  I only saw one moccasin and no gators.  Usually, during the afternoons, I see one really big gator in a ditch which was dug to drain this area of the swamp 50 or so years ago.  His body is nearly the size of a 55 gallon drum.  I will try to get a decent picture of him soon.

The yellow flies are bordering on ferocious but the mosquitoes are not out in force yet.  The afternoon temperature reached 88° yesterday and we got on inch or so of rain last night.  If this trend continues, the mosquitoes will start feeding. 

I heard a couple of Osceola turkeys gobbling yesterday and saw a lot of rooting from wild hogs but did not walk up on any of them.

Caveman

Puffergas

"I only saw one moccasin and no gators."

And I thought I had problems.. Some times a snapping turtle and on a bad day a black snake. They can get as big a 3 feet..

Nice pictures. I guess no machines can operate in your wood lot..?
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

BargeMonkey

Someone posted that picture on a equipment page on FB the other day. I've had 3 venomous snake encounters @ home in my life, you guys can keep that stuff.  :D  black bear / methhead is about the worst we will get around here.

elk42

The year 2000 there were 16 fatal black bear deaths and 12 fatal snake deaths
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

caveman

Yesterday afternoon I walked back to another area not too far from the cypress swamp that was pictured a day or so ago.  I had not gone back in there in about two years and was surprised (disappointed) to see that most of the longleaf pines in this area were killed by a prescribed burn that got a little too hot.  They created a great habitat for bugs and woodpeckers.   

Only three or four trees per acre survived.  In some areas, there were longleaf entering the rocket stage and others still in the grass stage.  The tar flowers are blooming and the pine flatwoods smell amazing right now.

The black snakes do not bother me too much as long as I see them.  One day last week while loading some two inch pipe into my truck one surprised me as he exited the pipe and headed towards the ground.  The problem for me was that my neck and back were the route the 4' black snake took to reach the ground-it startled me a bit.

Puffergas, that picture of the cypress is not my property but some that once belonged to my neighbor but was sold to the county for a preserve.  Most of the cypress in there is only 8-12" dbh.  The preserve is about 4000 acres.  There is public access but I seldom see anyone in the areas that I frequent.  When my neighbor owned it he managed and logged the pine as well as ran some scrub cows on it.
Caveman

thecfarm

Nice picture of your swamp.
I have a bog,kinda floating land,but it's only about 200 feet wide by 1500 feet long.I think.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

enigmaT120

It startled you?  I like snakes, but that would probably have excited me to the point of saying something bad.

"The problem for me was that my neck and back were the route the 4' black snake took to reach the ground-it startled me a bit."
Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

furltech

Well i have no 4 foot snakes here and am not really scared of snakes but when it gets to the point that they are lying there waiting to bite me i will find something else to do i think .

petefrom bearswamp

I hope to be 1100 miles north of here before skeeter time.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WildlandFirefighter912

Skeeter time is already here..and tick...and snakes..and gators..and wild women.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: WildlandFirefighter912 on March 31, 2016, 02:48:14 PM
Skeeter time is already here..and tick...and snakes..and gators..and wild women.
better be careful especially of the last one ;D :o :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

WildlandFirefighter912

I dont have to worry about that...they seem to avoid me

Thank You Sponsors!