iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pin and Bushing Source

Started by Corley5, March 27, 2016, 12:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

We're going to put new pins and bushings in the bypass bucket the Treefarmer has before it gets switched to the Franklin.  I think it's a Cranab but I'm not sure as the tag is long gone.  Does anyone have a source for aftermarket pins and bushings?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Ljohnsaw

:P I'll be following.  I'm looking for bushings to replace some paper thin ones remaining on my old Davis bucket.  1-1/8" pin in a 1-1/4 (or 1-3/8") hole - need to remeasure.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

starmac

I don't have any sources, but just a thought. I have had machine shops make bushings and they were always pretty inexpensive.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

chester_tree _farmah

Yes. Most bushings and pins are made from DOM tubing and round stock. The round stock is turned to fit inside the DOM with enough clearance for grease. Just be sure you use a round stock grade equal to what is in there.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

Corley5

These pins are drilled for a grease passage and have a fitting in the end along with a cap of sorts with a slot for a bolt that holds the pin in.  The bushings are just bronze sleeves.

starmac

Corley, that is nothing that any decent machine shop can't handle. When I lived in New Mexico I had a guy that had a pretty well setup machine shop set up out in the boonies on a farm. No signs, no advertising and he had all the business he ever wanted, prices were reasonable too. He passed on and his son took over, same service and pricing, man I miss them guys, it seemed like there was nothing they couldn't handle, even drug them out on Easter Sunday for an emergency one year.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Corley5

My neighbor has a machine shop and can make all this stuff but he's 85 now and has slowed way down.  He's made straight pins and bushings for me before and this is well within his skill set but I don't want to bother him although he'd feel bad if he found out I sourced them out.  A place to call with the specs, a credit card and UPS shipping would suit me fine :) ;D  They look to be fairly standard if there is such a thing  :)

Corley5

The four short pins and bushings that hold the bucket jaws to the carrier are the worst and need to be replaced.  There's enough sag in them that the bucket won't always by pass.  The pins and bushings in the cylinder and linkage arm look good and show very little wear.

barbender

I'm becoming a pretty big fan of the bronze bushings, they seem to retain grease much better than hardened steel bushings. The Huldtins grapples actually have nylon bushings, and they are remarkably durable. In fact, Huldtins recommends a 1000 hour greasing schedule :o  I just grease mine with the rest of the machine. One thing with a forwarder, you don't want to use too much grease, as it will end up on your windshield from banging the wood :)
Too many irons in the fire

47sawdust

Corley5,
I've used these folks-
Mid-States Hydraulic&Machine
1202 36th Ave, W.
Alexandria,Minn.
320-762-0122
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Gary_C

That does look like a Cranab grapple. Your local Valmet/Komatsu dealer and probably Ponsse dealer should be able to get parts for them. The one I have on my forwarder is a G36 and has a different style of hollow pin with cone shaped ends that have a thru bolt. My parts book does not show a breakdown on the grapple but the picture of a complete G28 grapple does show the pins like yours. You probably could not convert unless you could add grease fittings to the frame parts as there are no grease channels in the pins on the G36.

I've found out the hard way to always use locktite on the bolts that hold the pins in place.

Also the top pin is part of the Indexator swing damper and my Valmet book shows it is a 35 mm pin with a part number of 5023999 and the bushings (2) in the damper are 5033259. There are no bushings in the rotator.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Jhenderson

If you've ever bought parts through Komatsu you know why he's asking about alternatives. Komatsu has no mercy.

Gary_C

Yes, Komatsu is terrible on parts that you cannot easily get elsewhere but Cranab Grapples are sold by many dealers so the parts price is not quite as bad. It's worth checking prices and availability before you put a lot of time and effort into making your own parts.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!