iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

wood burning cook stove

Started by LeeB, March 26, 2016, 02:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeeB

Lindy just bought this for $200. I don't know what brand it is or anything about it. I'll check it out more when I get home.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

starmac

I have an old jotul cookstove that my wife bought me in washington state.  It has never had a fire built in it to date.
I can find plenty of info on jotul woodstoves, but have never found any referance to them ever building cookstoves anywhere.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

DMcCoy

Should have rotating grates in the fire box,  one set for coal the other for wood.  There should also be a sliding damper on the back, open for using the cook top, closed for using the oven.

47sawdust

starmac,
That Jotul cook stove is a very rare stove.Very highly sought after in certain circles.I have seen them for sale on Craigs list here in the Northeast.If I remember right they are kind of small with ornate castings on the side.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

LeeB

Got some more info from Lindy about the stove. It's a Woods Evertz. Later became WESCO stove. Manufactured in the early 1900's.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

starmac

47sawdust
You are correct it is small compared to a full size cookstove, sort of like an appartment range compared to a fullsize unit.
It may be sought after but it is all mine now. lol

mad murdock

When we were living in Aniak, we cooked in/on a Monarch range, in the home we rented. That was a nice range!  Lehman's non-electric sells a whole lot of new ones in all kinds of sizes with a lot of accesories for many.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

r.man

Today would be a perfect day here for a cookstove fire. The house is a bit cool and it is raining outside making the OWB annoying.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

To get good at it might take a little practice .Great grand mother grew up with them but not too many after her .

r.man

I have two sets of friends with cookstoves that use them regularly, one is a woman in her eighties and the other is in her fifties. One stove is the older style and one is a modern Amish. I expect bread is tricky to bake, otherwise it is just a matter of paying attention and consistent quality dry wood.

Paul_H

The wife of a guy I work with cooks 3 meals a day every day year round on a wood cook stove except when they barbecue.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

47sawdust

We have a Waterford Stanley cook stove.It is made in Ireland.Large firebox,excellent heating stove.It is in full time use from October to April and as needed to take the chill off at other times.We cook and bake with it,the oven is easy to regulate but ,as mentioned,you need to pay attention when baking.They sell new for $6k which is crazy money,I bought ours off CL for $750.00.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

r.man

Like many of the previous methods of living life a cookstove would be a more labour intensive, knowledge based version than what most of us are used to now. I would like to try it to see how I do without being committed to having to do it.

starmac

My grandparents had the biggest one I have ever seen. It was supposed to have come out of the schoolhouse at Brady Texas. An uncle traded them out of it and sold it off in the late 70's, I would love to haave that thing now.  They moved three times while they owned it, and as luck would have it I got in on moving that thing every time, talking about a hernia machine.

goose63

My Grandmother had a monarch she used corn cobs to cook with  . man I can all most smell the fresh bread she would make to this day.

I have a old monarch cook stove sure wish i had the room to hook it up
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Al_Smith

My grandmother heated with wood stoves until she was over 80 years old .Tough old bird,split wood until she was 80 too .When the corn used to be  picked and later shelled she burned a lot of cobs .Evidently her rugged life style caused an early death at 96 years of age .She cooked with "bottle gas" maybe that's why she didn't make it to a hundred .Go granny go  :)

isaaccarlson

We bought a new cook stove a few years ago and love it.  It is called a kitchen queen.  They make 2 sizes, a big one and a bigger one.  We got the bigger one. :D

We were looking at different brands of cook stoves and they all were in the 5,000-10,000 dollar range and were not that great.  We stumbled upon the kitchen queen when I was trying to get parts for a queen stove company lantern HAHA.  The kitchen queen stove company popped up and I knew that was the one.  This baby weighs 1,000 lbs and cranks out heat like crazy.  I have added more firebrick to the firebox and that helped a lot.

The house runs about 85 in the winter and we burn about 4 cord a year in this drafty old farm house.  We could get by with half as much wood and be at 65, but why do that when you can have 85?  I think this stove puts out 150,000+btu.  It cooks pizza in about 3 minutes and makes the best food you ever had.  It also eats whole rounds if you need it to.  Gotta love a 5 cubic foot firebox.
It took me a while to get used to the huge firebox.  I kept filling it the first year.  That stove will take a whole wheelbarrow load of wood at one time! ;D

LONG LIVE THE COOK STOVE!!!!

One thing I like about this one is the way the flue gasses travel.  They go under the oven and then up and out.  Lots better for keeping creosote down.

maple flats

My paternal grandmother used one til the day she died, unfortunately, she was only 64, had a stroke. Her stove burned either wood or coal and it was fairly large. I think it had 2 ovens and 6 or maybe even 8 burners. It also had a water heater that hung or was part of the stove on one side. It was rather large likely because she had 12 kids and a husband to feed at one time. Gramps died when I was 7 of black lung from working in the coal mines for 3 weeks before getting out and moving to Central NY to farm it, Gram died 6 years later, when I was only 14.
I do remember her baking bread and rolls in one of the ovens but don't recall if it was the big oven or the smaller one.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Fokke

Here's the new stove we bought last summer

mad murdock

That is a good looking stove. Made in Serbia? Or someplace else in Europe?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!