iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log splitters!

Started by cbutler703, March 25, 2016, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbutler703

What log splitters you guys use/recommend? we currently use a corkscrew splitter off a pto but it can be rather dangerous if the log flips and traps your hand! or a good old fashioned axe !

sawguy21

Welcome to the FF. If you type in log splitter in the Search box you will find extensive discussion. You are correct, those corkscrew splitters can be hazardous to your health.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Welcome to the forum, cbutler703.

In addition to reading some of the recommendations in other threads, you might tell us a bit about your needs. Are you splitting just for personal use, looking to make a little money on the side, or planning to make a business out of it? Any idea how many cords you'd be splitting per year?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

cbutler703

John mc, looking to make a business out of it! Unfortunately in the UK we don't use cords anymore! we use metres cubed! and not sure to be honest!

brianJ

smiley_chop     I use the Armstrong model of splitter.

John Mc

I missed that you were in the UK. Not sure if my brand recommendations would even be available. Unless you are splitting all small-diameter wood, you'll want a splitter with enough power to handle a 4-way wedge. That saves a lot of time. Not as big a deal if you are splitting for your personal use, but definitely a consideration if you want to make a business of it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!