iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Epic cutting day!!

Started by CCC4, March 25, 2016, 05:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I got moved to a private unit last week. It was a job I was leary of...this land belongs to a Veteran logger with 50 years of cutting under his belt. He is 72 and decided that he was gonna let someone cut his timber. His timber has only been cut by him over all these years. I was nervous but I figured I could handle it.

The LO has been busy the entire time I have been cutting on him...today he shows up to watch me cut. I wasn't even nervous really and it was game on!! I was finishing a section near a fence line and just put my game face on and did what I knew how to do. I was swinging everything from oak to hickory and pine off this fence...I'm talking like driving nails! Got to a section of planted pine and had a leaner into them, I set it up for sizwheel and let her rip! I seen the ol fella watching close. Next one was same deal, set up sizwheel and he got on a knee to look and see what I was doing. He was like "What are you doing there"? I told him it was a sizwheel and explained why I was doing it and what it would do. I let her rip...went perfect again!

Basically I am writing about this because IMO a faller is one of the least appreciated in the business. Rarely anyone ever sees what you do, you are by yourself mostly. I was so dang happy today...getting thumbs up and perfects...had my gas jugs carried for me! It was one of the best feelings I have ever had in the woods. Really had a great day...and in front of a 50 year veteran faller in his personal timber. So excited!!!

mills

Hang in there a few more years and you'll be the legend. 8)

Glad you had a good day.

caveman

It means a lot to be appreciated for what you do well and even more to be appreciated by someone who has walked a mile or so in your shoes.
Caveman
Caveman

flattail

I haven't cut a board yet,my mill is being built but I have cut wood for many years and sometimes amaze myself at some of the trees I've felled.Not sure what the sizwheel is but interested to learn more about it.
I would like to come see your operation though if you wouldn't mind.I'm not that far from you.

WV Sawmiller

CCC4,

Well done and congrats on having such a good day. Sounds to me like fellers must all have (or at least need) a copy of the old Charlie Brown cartoon in their office or man cave. You know - the one that says "Working here is like wetting your pants when wearing dark trousers. It gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices." :D

Glad to hear a respected veteran got to see you in action. I am sure he will pass along his observations to other peers, co-workers and customers. 8)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

BargeMonkey

A good cutter can do some amazing stuff, and you enjoy it immensely which probably makes every stick that much better. How many ft do you figure you've cut by hand ???

Plankton

That's great! Sounds like fun, nothing better then getting positive feedback from old timers who have done what you do forever. You know if there impressed your doing something right!

Happy cutting and stay safe

lopet

I know what you're saying and i know how you felt like when everything went the way you wanted to.
My self I just don't like visitors or company while I am cutting, even if they carry my gas jugs, they just make me nervous. :D
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

OH logger

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 25, 2016, 08:25:23 PM
CCC4,

Well done and congrats on having such a good day. Sounds to me like fellers must all have (or at least need) a copy of the old Charlie Brown cartoon in their office or man cave. You know - the one that says "Working here is like wetting your pants when wearing dark trousers. It gives you a warm feeling but nobody notices." :D

Glad to hear a respected veteran got to see you in action. I am sure he will pass along his observations to other peers, co-workers and customers. 8)

I love the Charlie brown one SO TRUE ;)
john

711ac

Someday's your the nail, someday's your the hammer.
Glad your skills were appreciated today "Hammer"
by a well qualified judge! 8)

OntarioAl

What is a sizwheel?? I may know it by another name.
Al
Al Raman

treeslayer2003

lol, don'e givin out all the secretes there ccc4. glad ya had a good one.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: OntarioAl on March 25, 2016, 10:06:36 PM
What is a sizwheel?? I may know it by another name.
Al
few different ways to do it, simple one can just be a half block face with off side dutched off.

tantoy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 25, 2016, 08:27:55 PM
A good cutter can do some amazing stuff, and you enjoy it immensely which probably makes every stick that much better. How many ft do you figure you've cut by hand ???
Like the new avitar :)
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

BargeMonkey

Quote from: tantoy on March 25, 2016, 10:39:16 PM
Quote from: BargeMonkey on March 25, 2016, 08:27:55 PM
Like the new avitar :)
It was the only FF "friendly" logging one I had.  ;D

RHP Logging

Great to hear Clint!

Heres a pic of a sizwheel.  I've got better pics just can't find em right now.  This is just one of many variations.  Basically you expose the fibers on one side of the stump to allow them room to flex and pull the tree around instead of break off.

Buckin in the woods

BargeMonkey

:o  .  ??? Now I'm stumped, literally.   :D

Holmes

Quote from: RHP Logging on March 25, 2016, 11:12:26 PM
Great to hear Clint!

Heres a pic of a sizwheel.  I've got better pics just can't find em right now.  This is just one of many variations.  Basically you expose the fibers on one side of the stump to allow them room to flex and pull the tree around instead of break off.

So this tree should fall to the right and away from the camera? or toward the camera?
Think like a farmer.

RHP Logging

So this tree should fall to the right and away from the camera? or toward the camera?

If you were standing behind the tree it would pull it around to the right.  The tree leaned out to the left. The "V" is cut on the pull side of the stump.  That means the lean was away from this side and I needed the fibers exposed on this side to help pull the tree into the face.
Buckin in the woods

timberlinetree

Nice job! I hear ya on the hand felling thing. At work in the distance I hear a disk saw. Get home and in the distance I hear a disk saw. Seems like they are invading,in the valley and on the mountain. Work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

WDH

Clint,

I have watched your videos, so I am not surprised at the accolades. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

OntarioAl

RHP
The picture says it all. Thanks.
I have never seen nor heard of that felling cut up here but looking at the picture I can readily see the dynamics of how it works.
I will have to give it a try.
Thanks again
Al
Al Raman

CCC4

I sure appreciate all the nice things said...so much I am at a loss of words and don't really know how to respond.

This morning my new buddy was out there with me again! The cutting went excellent, I was in some large hardwood and everything went perfect. The fella really enjoys being out there, I see the smiles on his face, absolutely priceless for me to see his reactions. Such a good feeling for me and he just seems to beam while walking around with me. I had a technical 42" hickory to cut today, huge top mass and a possibility of hitting the fence. I rolled her out perfect and even caught myself giving an arm pump...but I realized I did it and didn't even turn around to the LO...I was a little embarrassed. LOL!

BM, we sell by weight here so I couldn't even begin to guess board footage. This week counting today I cut 16 loads, I just don't know board footage though.

CCC4

Bitzer showed the sizwheel already, but here is one of mine from earlier in the week.

CCC4

That one pulled around 120*, it was a hickory around 22 inches I think...nothing spectacular, just and example of the cut.

Ljohnsaw

Interesting cut but I'm still at a loss as to how it works.  Can you describe it looking down on the cut?  I'm assuming it is to have a leaner fall in some other direction.  Looking down from the top, you have a leaner wanting to go towards 12 o'clock.  You want it to fall somewhere around 3 to 5 o'clock (or is that even possible?).  What cuts to you make where?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

CCC4

Yes Sir, say that tree was at 12 o'clock, I wanted the optimum swing at 3 but could use 5. The sizwheel exposes fiber and allows you to leave more turn wood and you can reach your 5 oclock optimum. Tht little bit of turn wood will swing that much more of a percentage when the fibers hold. Hickory does an excellent job with this cut. I rarely use it on White Oak though, also pine in flat ground some times will stall and a wedge is used to help regain some momentum.

Ljohnsaw

I'm not up on all the jargon.  What is the sizwheel?  Is that the area where the gap is and no hinge?  Turn wood?  Going back to the clock, the tree is leaning toward 12, you want to fall between 3 and 5, where is there hinge left, hinge removed and the gap?  Sorry, just a little slow. :-\
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

CCC4

Ok, say your tree is leaning to 12 o'clock, that is your compression wood. The wood at 6 o'clock would be your tension wood.

If you place a Dutchman or kerf in the compression wood and face at 3 o'clock, your tension wood becomes your turn corner. When making a swing cut you are cutting away at what would be your henge in a triangular fashion...hence leaving your tension wood now as the key pivot or turn in order to swing the tree around. With the sizwheel having the fibers of the hinge exposed, you allow flexibility for them to rip down into the stump when you leave say a 2 to 3 inch remainder in the turn corner. That gappy thing is actually your hinge, it doesn't get removed...it removes itself down into the stump and really puts the swing on your tree. A sizwheel will bring one around further than a normal Dutched Humbolt.

Ed_K

I tried this cut today. I'm impressed, cut 2 shag bark, one 22" and a 26" pulled them off a property line and dropped right into the skid rd. Only thing I didn't like was limbing out the top  >:( their worse than beech  ::) . I'm going to make a comment on the 3pt winch thd on how the morning started.
Ed K

treeslayer2003

he he he, i knew the ??? would come lol.

Clint i have put one in white oak, but a shorter one almost none of it in the heart. you won't get as much swing but you wont bust the heart either. kinda have to know the wood and what you can get away with.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: CCC4 on March 26, 2016, 07:06:20 PM
Ok, say your tree is leaning to 12 o'clock, that is your compression wood. The wood at 6 o'clock would be your tension wood.

If you place a Dutchman or kerf in the compression wood and face at 3 o'clock, your tension wood becomes your turn corner. When making a swing cut you are cutting away at what would be your henge in a triangular fashion...hence leaving your tension wood now as the key pivot or turn in order to swing the tree around. With the sizwheel having the fibers of the hinge exposed, you allow flexibility for them to rip down into the stump when you leave say a 2 to 3 inch remainder in the turn corner. That gappy thing is actually your hinge, it doesn't get removed...it removes itself down into the stump and really puts the swing on your tree. A sizwheel will bring one around further than a normal Dutched Humbolt.

Thanks.  I think I get it now.  You approach you hinge at an angle so you are cutting very close, if not into, the hinge at 12 while there is still some remaining at 6.  I'd really like to see it in action (slow-motion).  I'm a visual learner... ;)
John Sawicky

RHP Logging

Quote from: CCC4 on March 26, 2016, 01:58:20 PM
Bitzer showed the sizwheel already, but here is one of mine from earlier in the week.

Looks good Clint!  Didn't mean to steal yer thunder by putting my pic in here.  Awesome explaination of the cut!
Buckin in the woods

chester_tree _farmah

Quote from: ljohnsaw on March 26, 2016, 07:33:42 PM
Quote from: CCC4 on March 26, 2016, 07:06:20 PM

Thanks.  I think I get it now.  You approach you hinge at an angle so you are cutting very close, if not into, the hinge at 12 while there is still some remaining at 6.  I'd really like to see it in action (slow-motion).  I'm a visual learner... ;)

I think drawings work best to show these things but... after you cut your face notch you move to the side of the notch you want the tree to swing to. Where the two angles of your face notch meet (at the point of the <) make a vertical cut where the top of your bar hits the point of the V and the rest of the cut extends down into the stump. Typically no more than a third of the width of the tree. Than cut out the corner with your bar tip higher than the back. Cutting some of the lower notch face away. That side of the hinge should now stay attached to the tree as it falls to the ground. The normal side of the hinge should break off sooner and the sizwheel side will stay attached and the tree should spin as it falls and be pulled towards the sizwheel side of the notch. Of course it varies by situation and you may end up having very little hinge or none on the normal side.

RHP is saying that you need to make these cuts higher in the tree so you have room to make the cuts.

These cuts are not for the novice.

Being able to put your trees where you want them and on the ground most of the time does boost production. Less time spent in the skidder messing with hung trees. Ugh.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

shortlogger

The skills of a good faller are quickly fading away in my part of Arkansas I don't think I know a single crew who isn't running a cutting machine theses days . It wasn't that many years ago there were lots of fallers around here but all the cut and skid crews have either went fully mechanical or got out of it . Out of all the guys I used to cut for only one is left and they shoot for 20 loads a day and you can't get that with a chainsaw . Nothing more satisfying than a well placed tree and someone who appreciates it .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

CCC4

I'm pretty lucky to not be in a full mechanical cutting crew. We have a hydro ax and use it on several jobs. Sometimes my boss changes his mind and sends me in...such as the job I have been talking about in this thread.

I don't mind chasing a cutting machine, I have done it for years and can actually make more money. I have found though that unless it is pine, its more dangerous. Limbs are in weird pressures and tops and such. Forcing a lead with a cutting machine can be rough on the saw hand out there pinning and topping. I prefer falling my own timber. I am glad to live in a region with so much rough ground that cutting machines don't factor in much. If it ever ran out here, I would relocate hopefully West bound...it is where I strive to be and where I know I need to be to get where I want in my career. I feel like I am in practice everyday here just waiting to take my next step in reaching my goals....my timing just sucks and keeps me in Arkansas.

shortlogger

I always thought it would be awesome to log the big timber up in maybe BC or Alaska . That is a whole nother  level of tree falling over what we do here .
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Thank You Sponsors!