iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

farmer age

Started by duke401, October 24, 2004, 09:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duke401

i was just woundering what the av.age of farmers are.an how many new guys are getting started. i just went to a farm sale sat. close buy an got to looking around, i was one of the youngest there an i am 44
duke

Blake22

2002 census says 55.3 That must mean you're still wet behind the ears. When I read your qeustion I thought it would be about 60 yrs old. Not much change in 1974 the average was 55.1. I bet the only way a young man (24-28) could start farming would be win a lottery or inherit a farm. What do you think the bank would say if you asked for 1.5 million for land, equipment & operating money so you could be a farmer? I think I'll try it. ;D
Blake

redpowerd

im sick of hearin about farmers on this forum, this is the FORESTRY forum ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Fla._Deadheader

Farmers gots forestststs ;D :D :D  Gots TREES too ;D ;D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Norm

Good farm land up here has recently gone for $4000 per acre, figure on 500 acres to make a living and you better have the banker sit down when you tell him how much you want to borrow. Nice green tractor, combine and support equipment and you'll need half as much again. Of course the banker will tell you that you need 30% of that amount for collateral. I'm one of the younger ones around here at 48.

Bruce_A

Tree farm????????  Whats a forest?????????

FiremanEd

Dad's a full time farmer.  (worked 4 hrs for another man when he was 19, "didn't work out")

I make my living riding firetrucks so I'm only farming part time at 35 so I don't really count.

The youngest guy I know farming full time is about 40, he's alwaysed farmed but was set up by his dad's concrete business at 20 when he took over his grandfathers 1000 acre farm.
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Corley5

35 years old and still farming ;D 8).  Part time anyway
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tagerts_crossing

33 and farming near full time.  I work full time by nite and farm during the day.  farm the family farm as the 8th generation and have bought additional land.  The thing with (Family farms) is family members see the value of the land and not the value of tradition and want the big payday from developers, that makes it hard for the young ones to continue.  That is a problem I am facing now.  I will not go down easy, could not look my son it the eye again if i did.   John
John Schoolcraft

DR_Buck

I'm 52 and just started farming 5 years ago.  Bought the farm with 25 acres of trees included. Decided owning a farm maybe I should try farming.  

I bought a book and a few heifer calves. Now I have a 25 head Black Angus herd.

The farm is what got me into the sawmill business.   I got tired of paying outrageous prices for wood to fix things around the farm. So, I bought another book, joined this forum and bought a WM LT40HDG25.

By the way.....I do all of my farming and milling in my  :D SPARE  :D time.  I work full time as a system engineer for an aerospace company.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

redpowerd

ive been farming since i could dip the cows. be 29 next month
dont regret it much, cept for them days nothing is in your favor, day after day, and your allways broke.

but to think of the freedom to get up early and do what you want and love, see the sun rise and set on a productive day in a productive feild, the smell of a fresly cut hayfeild, the sound of a weaned calf trying to moo like the big girls, the crack of the trees and the ground underfoot on a subzero afternoon. little stuff like that, you cant put that in a wallet or bank account. yes it would be nice to afford the things i want, most times i find theyre fiiviouls and passing. im working on being established enough to have the things i need when i need them.
what i need now is some kids to enjoy my chores! ;D
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Jason_WI

My dad is 62 right now. He has 52 cows and another 50 or so in youngstock. Also has 400 acers in till and does this by himself with only my help on weekends and my 3 weeks vacation that I use at home.

I have a job that pays OK but there is nother better than being your own boss. If the milk prices would stay where they were at this spring I would tell my sphincter of a boss to take this job and stick it.....but I have to stick with this job for now :(

Redpowerd,

My dad almost bought a new IH 986 back in '77 or so. Ford dealer sweatened the deal on a Ford 8700. 10,200 + hours later it is still our main tractor on the farm.

Our tractor list:

Ford 9000 (fresh rebuilt motor)
Ford 8700
Case 1690 (Junk, should have sunk the boat that brought this crap into the US)
AC 175
WD 45 (busted PTO gears)
WD
WC
AC M crawler x 2 (not running now)

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Bro. Noble

My average age is 29 1/2 ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom_Averwater

I'm 45. My brother is 46. We farm part time. I'm a Carpenter and Mr. Mom. My brother fixes lawnmowers and chainsaws for a living on the farm.
    We will be have to buy our brother out some day, if we can. 5 acre lots are selling for 100 k around here. He has no interest in the farm. Dad is 84 and still as mean as a snake.
    Other farmers in the area are between 45 - 55 years old.
He who dies with the most toys wins .

duke401

we dont have to worry about citys moveing here, i do see in the future when mom is gone [dads been gone for two years now] of having to deal with my sister an brother, i can see it now all they want is money, to build a new house or something like that. they grew up here but how a city changes a person. i live the the house my great grand father built.not much but i like it.
 they didnt settle this country untill 1878 or atlease that was the last indian raid, the same indians that in 76 custer had a problem with. :o
duke

TN_man

I am 43 and farm part time on a 80 acre farm. Around 1/2 of that is in timber, so we saw some of our own logs.
My son works for a big farm down the road. He is a young guy in his 30s. He has got to be the biggest hay producer in East Tenn. They have about 500 acres and lease about the same amount. They make their money in square bale hay for horses. I know several years back when my son first started working for them they bailed 125,000 bales. They make some good money but also have alot of debt to worry about.
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

redpowerd

QuoteMy dad almost bought a new IH 986 back in '77 or so
my old man bought a new one in '80, his first new tractor, he was 31. guess i got some catchin up to do!

drove it to the prom in 95 and traded it in 96 for a new magnum. miss that tractor!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD

Blake22

I guess I'm a farmer too. My Dad is 73 & has about 100 mama cows that he checks on or counts or something about 25 times a day. I think he just likes opening gates. He cuts his own hay, plants his rye in the winter.

My job is ( I have a lawn servce/stump grinder) cutting trees off fences, fixing washed out roads or something mechanical. I didn't sign-up for this position because all it pays is lunch.  Nothing if I start in the pm.

If he needs something I've learned to stop whatever I'm doing & take care of it no matter how many yards are due that day.

Sure wish he'd chosen another ocupation like a bar at Panama City Beach. Then I'd check things 25 times a day. ;D
Blake

rebocardo

TN_man

What's the matter rebo? You refuse to tell us how old you are? :D
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

DR_Buck

I think Rebo used invisable ink.  :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Furby

I thought it was just a blank stare. ;D

sawdust

I was told how to make a small fortune farming...

Start with a large fortune. ;)
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Thank You Sponsors!